A Reach Caboose (WIP, with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowind

So, at the start of the semester I started to make my armor. Got the helmet done in about two months between school work, and really crammed on the torso over spring break. In the pictures is what I have so far.
CopyofDSC_0105.jpg

As you can see from the second pic the helmet will need some adjustment (like the addition of a flexible neck-seal) before I can wear it correctly.
CopyofDSC_0108.jpg

My main goal in the production of this suit is to make one that will not break when I sit down in it. As for customization, after the parts are hardened I intend to rig the armor with lights to match as close as possible the game. I also intend to paint it with a Red vs. Blue Caboose theme.

Note on that chest piece. You should work the collar before for you glass it will make it easier to work it. looking good so far.

By "work the collar", do you mean get it into a more usable shape, cut it off so the torso is ready for a replacement (softer) collar, or something else?

I think he means to cut the piece into two separate pieces so that it is wearable when finished. but even if that's not what he meant, you should do that anyways.

nice man, the helmet and torso look great, the helmet is just a little small =P but other than that it looks awesome and you peped the helmet pretty well also. keep up the fantastic work on the build
btw are you going to put struts in the torso when you are done peping it because that will really help it to keep its shape so that it doesn't warp at all?
keep up the great work =D

I had been thinking of keeping the ring around the arm holes off the pep since I was going to replace that with foam mat to make it more accurate, and seeing as the struts in the pep attach to that ring I'll have to fiddle with things to make them work. I also had planed on making the whole torso and splitting it into a front and back half after I harden and glass it; with the possibility of cutting out the collar to harden and glass separately. Then I'd reattach the collar after both it and the torso were done.

Small up date (I'm not dead yet) on the armor. It's looking like I'll have to make another LARGER helmet. The one I already did doesn't come down past my chin right now, so I can only imagine how short it will be after a couple coats of resin. I also plan on remaking the torso using the more up to date L3X's Reach Mark V Torso. This will mean more work, but I now have a helmet, a torso, and a gauntlet I can use for hardening practice (did I not mention I made a gauntlet that was too small?). Speaking of the hardening process, I have a little plan that involves Metal bondo and hardware cloth. Will up date more later (much later most likely), hopefully I can finish this suit in the next few... years.

I got my armor done in foam and it works great for my 3 days convention. If you want comfort you should make your cod piece and thighs in foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back