Props A Real Combat Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished cleaning out my new shop. A tip to those planning long-term storage: water-proof containers that won't disintegrate are mandatory.

I'll probably start working on some improved knives for y'all in the coming week or so. The new ones will probably be thinner and a little more elegant than the dwarven cleaver I've made so far.

We'll be casting the handle on the first knife tonight- here's a couple pics of progress so far:
2213997907_093255920e.jpg

2214789692_b2f8baf401.jpg

Sorry about the photos, my personal camera got ripped off.

Overall these will be much more knife than machete- they're out of much thinner steel, and the handles are much smaller. I think we went with an ~18" overall length to them.
The good thing is that big hands still fit nicely on the handle- I can palm a basketball and I'm 6'3" or so, that's my hand in the pics.

Saw this on Flickr, came over here to comment. This is looking really good, pretty much what I would have done if I had the mad skillz you have. That and an oxyacetylene torch.

Are you planning to try to achieve the dimples in the grip? It would be super awesome if you did.

Unique Name said:
Saw this on Flickr, came over here to comment. This is looking really good, pretty much what I would have done if I had the mad skillz you have. That and an oxyacetylene torch.

Are you planning to try to achieve the dimples in the grip? It would be super awesome if you did.

Yep, we'll probably drill divots into the aluminum before we rubberize it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right after the pour. There was extra, so we poured off a few ingots for later re-melting. Twice-melted aluminum seems to cast better than first-melt stuff.
2215594906_1c8f792200.jpg
We used a new formula of sand we made up recently, it's the best stuff so far. As a result, the burn area around the metal was maaaybe 1/8" thick, and the cast metal was shiny right out of the sand. Awesome.
2215596048_66c3c6892e.jpg

From there I've been sanding and filing the handle, cleaning it up. As soon as I get it to the basic shape I want, I'll have the grip holes drilled, it'll be coated, and I'll start foaming the sheath up.

Finished up the handle, drilled grip-holes, coated it with thin rubber, cleaned and buffed it again, thrice-blued and re-buffed the blade, and made a simple leather sheath.

2220126238_124c3b6d71.jpg

2219332149_a0fd7c941a.jpg

I'm planning on a cast sheath for the next two, they've been torched out and are awaiting grinding. I might try a magnet glued into a hole in the sheath for keeping them in, and leaving the back of the sheath open to keep the sheath profile closer to the blade profile.

thats crazy. great work.

pm me with price range please.

also your avatar (you im assuming) reminds of the russian guy from goldeneye that is always at the computer and gets frozen in the end.

he always says "i am INVINCIBLE"

Nice work again. I love the effect you've achieved with the grip, awesome. I agree with you on the sheath, I think the back should be open; it would look a lot cooler if the blade didn't have to slide out while entirely inside the sheath.

Vrogy said:
Finished up the handle, drilled grip-holes, coated it with thin rubber, cleaned and buffed it again, thrice-blued and re-buffed the blade, and made a simple leather sheath.

2220126238_124c3b6d71.jpg

2219332149_a0fd7c941a.jpg

I'm planning on a cast sheath for the next two, they've been torched out and are awaiting grinding. I might try a magnet glued into a hole in the sheath for keeping them in, and leaving the back of the sheath open to keep the sheath profile closer to the blade profile.

zombie plan??? lol

2233448319_6acbd74f39.jpg

2234237732_9a074d7b9b.jpg

More futuristic sheath. Plates are bent in to hold the knife in by tension. Video in the pipes.

It's always funny until someone pokes out an eye! Good work, are you going to make the shield to? You know when you select the level easy, medium, hard, legendary!

MasterBest1 said:
It's always funny until someone pokes out an eye! Good work, are you going to make the shield to? You know when you select the level easy, medium, hard, legendary!

Not sure.. it sure would be easy. I might have to now, thanks?

azteceagle said:
wow nice!
are you selling it? PM with prices if you are

Sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back