A suitable glue for pepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weslicon

Jr Member
I have read many stickies very extensively and so far they've been extremely helpful. The sticky I read that mentioned glues to use for your pep they said to use "non-dissolvable glues" what exactly does this mean? does it mean don't use washable glues like elmers? would someting like superglue be more effective for when you resin and still hold together?

Ive found that finding the right glue is a personal preference kind of thing. Some people like super glue because of the hold it has and it doesnt disolve etc. but it dries a little quick for me, and its a lot harder to clean up. Ive used elmers for everything Ive done and its worked out fine for me. Plus its like 89 cents and one bottle has lasted through more than 2 suits. I havnt had any problems with it. Ive read of people using rubber cement, hot glue, super glue, gorilla glue, elmers, and countless others. Just my personal opinion but elmers hasnt let me down yet. ^_^. This is what I use, and you can get it at most retail stores.
img-about-multi-purpose-glue-inset.jpg

Thanks a bunch! so what they mean when they say "non dissolvable" is that when it comes to resining? will it say on the glue bottle?

It should say on the bottle but, to be perfectly honest with you I dont know lol. When I started it was pretty much elmers or super glue, but as the 405th has expanded so have the choices and complexities. People have chosen to add 3 or 4 steps to do something because they dont like the smell of fiberglass resin, or strayed from card stock because they feel that they work better with cardboard,. etc, etc, etc. Everyone has their opinion as to what is going to work best for you. As for me I have to work on a budget, so the cheaper the better. I know that really doesnt answer your question, but its all I can tell you. I know what works for me, I dont know why it works, I just know it does. Good luck, if you have any other question feel free to ask and Ill try to answer better than this.

I'm looking for a glue type that dries at a moderate speed but won't cause any warping does the elmers 'Glue All" fit that descriptoin perhaps?

^^^ what he said. I'd go with a high temp hot glue gun. Drys quickly but still gives you enough time to move your piece around and line it up properly

I'd say go with a low temp glue gun. All the good of the high temp mentioned before without the third degree burns you get if you touch the high temp glue

I use hot glue also. Only negative thing about it is all the strings of glue you get everywhere. It takes me a good 20ish mins just to get the strands of glue off a completed helmet. It is starting to get aggravating.

I used Hot Glue for my suit.

Good points:
- Easy to apply.
- Dries fast.
- Can remelt the glue to fix a mistake. <--- Very important. Saved my piece(s) many times because of this.

Bad points:
- Those strands are a pain.

:)

Aleene's Fast Grab for most parts - It's basically a white glue that is a instant bond no smell contact cement.
Aleene's Quick Dry for difficult parts - I use this on parts that your just know your going to need to adjust but still want to dry fast.

The real trick is to put a little drop on a piece of scrap and use a spare exacto knife to apply an extremely thin coating to the tabs. No warping, instant or nearly instant dry every time.

I used hot glue myself, it works rather well. Just remember, less is more. You only need a little dab of it. The little strands do get annoying, but there not that big of a deal.

I use Elmer's glue. Just put some on a tooth pick and apply a very thin coat on the tab. This will not cause warping, and the thin coat dries in about 20 second with pressure. Very similar to what GremlinLord posted.

Like most people said it comes down to personal preference. I have tried a bunch of different kinds. Purple Glue Stick, Elmers Glue, Super Glue, Glue Gun. And here are some pros and cons that I found with each.

Purple Elmers Glue Stick:
Pros:
Cheap, 25 cents at walmart for two pack.
Easy to use, you can see where you put it and how much you used.
It have a medium dry time but once its in place it will stay but if you need to re-adjust you still can.

Cons:
You can go through quite a few stick when peping. But they are cheap so its no big deal.
Sometimes its hard to get it on to really tiny tabs without getting it all over the place.

Elmers White Glue: This is the one I personally like the best.
Pros:
Fairly cheap
Adhears well though the dry time is a bit longer than that of the glue stick
You can readjust tabs easily
Cons:
Dries a little slows
Can get messy is you use too much
Can be hard to see where you used it and how much you used.
Warps the pep if you use to much

Super Glue (using a brush to distribute glue makes it easier to work with)
Pros:
Great Bond
Usually easy to use due to sharp

Cons:
Bonds too quickly nearly impossible to readjust if misses aligned

Hot Glue

Pros:
Bonds well
Easy to apply

Cons:
Can readjust by reheating the glue if necessary but is a bit of a hassle
Can burn yourself
Leaves Stings everywhere
Can cause pep to warp if you too much.

I wrote this real quick. I am late for work but I hope this helps.

Elmers :/ never seen it in australia but i just useregular PVA and apply it with the help of match sticks :) the only problem with match stickes is that im a bit of a pyro and you always have to burn the head off before you use them ;)

Elmers :/ never seen it in australia but i just useregular PVA and apply it with the help of match sticks :) the only problem with match stickes is that im a bit of a pyro and you always have to burn the head off before you use them ;)

Elmer's is a specific brand of PVA. The important part is that it's PVA (poly-vinyl acetate is what it stands for, if I'm correct).

Glue sticks is what I use. I don't see the point in other methods, really. It's either you gotta use something to apply the glue with, or something that'll burn your fingers. The glue stick is all-in-one application and it doesn't burn. lol

Elmer's is a specific brand of PVA. The important part is that it's PVA (poly-vinyl acetate is what it stands for, if I'm correct).

Glue sticks is what I use. I don't see the point in other methods, really. It's either you gotta use something to apply the glue with, or something that'll burn your fingers. The glue stick is all-in-one application and it doesn't burn. lol

But the burning of the matchens is the best part :) the stuff i buy is CHEAP! :D like 1 buck for 750ml of the stuff ive never had any trouble with it and theres nothing dangerous involved.. maybe it might be flamable idk :/ but yeah it works never had any trouble with it altho it would be better if it dried a tad quicker but i cant complain ya get what you payed for :)

Aleene's Fast Grab for most parts - It's basically a white glue that is a instant bond no smell contact cement.
Aleene's Quick Dry for difficult parts - I use this on parts that your just know your going to need to adjust but still want to dry fast.

The real trick is to put a little drop on a piece of scrap and use a spare exacto knife to apply an extremely thin coating to the tabs. No warping, instant or nearly instant dry every time.

This is what I use, Fabric glue I have found works best for Pep, and its meant to be washed, You can pick up a trial pack at wallmart that has 5 different types of bottles in it to include the gel for about $5 and you can cut the hole in the tip small to make sure you can regulate the amount you put on your paper. It dries extermley fast and holds tight for your resin work

Aileenstackysamplepack.jpg

and wont glue your fingers together while you are trying to manuever the pieces to the correct position, this pack cost me $3.25 for the 5 tubes and I have done four pieces of pep with one bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back