Acetone transfer (quick way to speed up foam armoring)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelSpartan

Jr Member
Hi guys,

I've been away for a while, but got back to my armor a month ago... and I discovered that a lot of people where now using foam to make there armor pieces, I was hooked.

I have a masters and a doctorate in fine arts and I did a little wood printing during my years and I quickly saw the potential for using acetone transfer to speed up the armoring process... making it possible to transfer the ink from the piece of paper directly to the foam, simply leaving out the part where you need to cut all the pattern pieces from the paper and then trace them on the foam.

So here is a quick video of the whole process... ( I'm not good with a camera so I asked the guy for all the circus video we do here at the school... I asked for a simple video... that's what he did... :)

Hope you like it...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great little tutorial, thanks very much for sharing!! This will absolutely help people to speed up the process. As you indicated, cutting out and re-tracing can be very time-consuming when trying to place patterns on the foam sheets. Thanks again!!

-Matt

-looks at title-
?
-looks at tutorial-
:D
-hears "doesnt work with inkjet"-
o_O
-looks at printer, inkjet-
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Rats... well i would have loved to use this method...woulda saved me a LOT of time

-looks at title-
?
-looks at tutorial-
o_O
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Rats... well i would have loved to use this method...woulda saved me a LOT of time

I just print my templates with my inkjet and photocopy them at work... :p

-looks at title-
?
-looks at tutorial-
o_O
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:angry This

Can I ask why it won't work with inkjet? I'm bummed now.

a photocopy or a laser printer cook dry ink on the paper... an inkjet place wet ink that dries on the paper... the dry ink is like paint... once dry, hard to dissolve while the cooked ink can more easily be dissolved by the acetone

Pretty cool...This is the best topic on today.

Cheap WOW GoldRS Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back