Air Soft Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

halo boi

like i said me and a few of friends deiced that we would use our armor to our advantage. any one want to join that live in Mississippi?

ya i just realized i put this in wrong forum my bad.

seaninja951 said:
BB's aren't as fast as paintballs, so it might hold up or it might not.

That isn't really true, and paintballs are filled with paint, not a solid peice of plastic, and bb's can do a lot more damage. For instance, an airsoftgun made a T.V. catch on fire by repeatingly shoot it. I kind of doubt a paintball would do the same, since it has no solid core.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen that video, but I'm not saying that I would put my armor through that kind of punishment. It would be kind of cool to see a spartan or an ODST on an airsoft battlefield if you think about it.

seaninja951 said:
I've seen that video, but I'm not saying that I would put my armor through that kind of punishment. It would be kind of cool to see a spartan or an ODST on an airsoft battlefield if you think about it.

It would be very cool, but why take the risk?

seaninja951 said:
BB's aren't as fast as paintballs, so it might hold up or it might not.

hahh.....

I enjoy explaining this, but not really so I'm going to do super basic mode.

Paintball- lower velocity, bigger diameter --therefore, much more pain (can't recall the technical term for the whole speed v. weight/diameter thinggy)

Airsoft- when you get into the big games, its higher velocity, smaller diameter and weight, therefore not as much pain. UNLESS CLOSE RANGE, where you can do a lot of damage.

Airsoft 2- when using BBs like .2 you get a higher velocity, when you use .3s its a lower velocity but about the same if not more damage on impact.

Paintball generally averages around 275 feet per second.

Airsoft generally (unless you're playing in the backyard with friends using crappy walmart guns) averages around 320-400 feet per second.

Therefore, airsoft is faster, does it hurt more? Usually up close, far away not really, but they outrange paintballs so thats why they don't hurt as much; because you can use them from farther away.

What hurts more? All depends- generally paintball will bruise you up close, airsoft will puncture skin up close. Paintball, you generally play more upclose so you don't really have the upclose experience in airsoft as much, unless you're playing CQB.

Putting armor into the equation? fiberglass mat it SEVERAL TIMES. About 11-14 layers of it is what you want (if I recall), but mine managed to withstand a lot with just one layer, but it is NOT recommended despite it being super durable.

Motorcycle visors will break, put ANSI/ANZI (whatever it is) rated goggles or glasses underneath.

Oh, and you're movement won't be as good.

And your vision will be restricted so try not to trip.

Highly discouraged, but hey, its your armor, time and money.

edit: Of course I forgot one of the most important things that was mentioned above, thought I mentioned it but didn't. The whole solid object versus break on impact. Frozen paintballs hurt much more because they don't break. Airsoft doesn't break on skin.

I guess if someone had waaaaaaaaay too much time and money, it would be ok, but not for someone like me with no money. I am interested in the airsoft part .

seaninja951 said:
I guess if someone had waaaaaaaaay too much time and money, it would be ok, but not for someone like me with no money. I am interested in the airsoft part .

I started an airsoft thread a long time ago, if you want to revive it, click my name and go to my threads. for awhile it made sure all the airsoft topics were consolidated. Honestly, all it takes for a skirmishable suit is a lot of fiberglass mat and resin. And replacing your visor every once in a lot.

Spartan117x, good explanation. Here's some math. :p

We're going to use the equation for momentum, which is basically "how much force will this hit with when it hits something".

The equation for that is "Momentum = Mass x Velocity"

I'm ignoring units here to make this easier to understand.

A paint round (average mass about 3.2 grams) traveling at 250fps (which is about average chrono for where I live) carries approximately 800 units of momentum. The force of a standard (.25 grams) airsoft BB traveling at 400FPS (which is the chrono limit around here) is 100 units of momentum. That's 8 times more force from a paintball (this is at point blank, ignoring forces like air resistance). Due to ballistics and air resistance though, paintballs (being more dense), maintain their speed and force better over distance, as well. Having played both Paintball and Airsoft (at long range AND close range), paint rounds do a LOT more damage and pain, both up close and far away. As these guys have been saying, you have to make SURE your armor can take multiple point blank hits from whatever it's going to get shot with. Especially your helmet.

around Cleveland had we got the idea so that we would be the s I's Spartans 1 yea to start training early and and yes it was there idea to were the armor and all officers will have special armor such as the rough etc. and everyone else will have odst and colors will tell the rank like the elites. i just been able to get back on the 405th don't know y?

The idea has crossed my mind a few times, but I never went through with it. For one thing I would never attempt to play in Spartan armor. Its just too bulky and restricting. I can see maybe using ODST armor, there is a little more freedom it seems. What I would prefer to do is play as marines, they have a recognizable look and are also easy and are not so restrictive and bulky. Then you have the problem of actually getting armor. I really would not try this unless there was a cheaper, and stronger alternative. It would really suck to put a ton of work into armor to then have it ruined. It really would not be worth it to me unless cheaper materials and cheaper production costs become available.

Airsoft is typically thought of as the more realistic cousin to paintball. It involves people using gas/spring/electric weapons to fire plastic bbs at others. The guns are almost always realistic looking, meaning you can wield an M-16 that looks exactly like the real thing and so forth. Magazines can hold realistic amounts of ammunition, though there are unrealistic magazines available. Basically you use the weapons like you would the real deal. This lends itself for more realistic style games, with people dressed in real military uniforms. The only real armor needed is a pair of goggles that can take a hit from the airsoft bb, though some just use full paintball masks. Other than that you can wear what you want, depending on if a uniform is required for a game or not.

009-SPA said:
What armour do you usually wear in these Airsoft games? And if you don't mind me asking, what is Airsoft?

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8055&st=0&p=111294&fromsearch=1&#entry111294 Thats the thread I created long ago for questions about Airsoft. If you go there you'll see some stuff

BASICALLY

You don't wear "armor" as much as military gear. Yes you can play in plain clothes in your backyard/paintball field. Airsoft is kinda like paintball, teams have guns and they shoot eachother. Airsoft generally is more objective based, but you can of course just have standard elimination. Instead of paint you shoot 6mm plastic balls at eachother, it's based on the honor system as you can't actually show you have been hit. The guns you see in the news all the time with stupid people (generally kids) playing with them in public, or threatening people in public with them. Why they choose these? They can be cheap and look real, which is a main reason some play airsoft, because of the realism. As stated, most people wear camouflage to blend in with the environment as its not as fast paced as paintball (sometimes/until you get in a nice firefight) but also people generally wear replica/real military gear to hold stuff and to get a more military simulational experience out of it. If you get into the sport, you can be really cheap, or you can spend a lot and it can get really expensive. Thankfully, ammo doesn't cost an arm and a leg, about 14$ per 5000 rounds compared to paintball's 70$ for 2000 rounds.

I think thats a good description of airsoft.

Besides what Phalanx said, as he definitely touched on more stuff that I didn't say, and he beat me. lol. But yes, GOOD goggles/paintball masks are the most important gear you MUST have.

If you are set on being a Spartan just make sure it moves well enough and that it can take your full weight falling on various key sections like the knees, your back, your stomach, basically any possible position you would be in when playing the game. I have never worn a Spartan helmet, but also make sure that you have good visibility. I am hoping someone figures out how to make rubberized marine armor for myself hehe.

I just wanted to make a note about Airsoft and Halo armor.

If you reinforce it with enough Fiber glass it holds great against airsoft guns. I mean they make Car Bodies out of Fiberglass.

If its good enough for the Corvette then its good enough for the helm.

i know... I have been shooting mine all damn day XD not a scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back