(Almost) Finished Halo Reach Pepakura and Foam Hybrid Spartan Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a year in the making, but I am FINALLY 99% finished. The only thing left to do is put the visor into the helmet and pad it so it can actually be worn. Hope it looks good, tell me all what you think please!

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 481
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 473
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 459
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 502
Looks awesome man! can't wait to see how it looks all put together. What route did you end up going for the visor?
Thanks! Funny you should ask, I actually ran into a snag there. I went to install a golden motorcycle visor I had bought and it is too stiff to fit the helmet without leaving some major gaps. So I managed to find a more flexible visor material on etsy that will hopefully work. I will update this thread as soon as I have things more put together than they are now.
Honestly I am not very proud of my helmet, one day I will probably replace it with a cast version that someone much more skilled than I made on etsy. It feels kinda bad doing it, but they just look so much better that way.

It feels kinda bad doing it, but they just look so much better that way.
There's no shame in buying a costume kit especially since many will still need plenty of love and attention to be personalized with your colour scheme, decals and other bells and whistles like electronics.

Just feels like I didn't earn it you know? Like I didn't have to build it.

I know how you feel. I thought about buying a kit but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I feel like something significant is gained by fabricating the pieces. Most first builds are a little rough. No reason that ur second build wouldn't be more to your liking. I know a lot of people here rebuild pieces. You could rebuild the helmet if ur not happy with it.

As for visors, they are tricky but don't give up. I have faith that you can get something to work. There's lots of resources available here on the forum. Personally, I'm working with engineering plastic probably a similar process to what u are planning with the plastic you got on Etsy.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing ur progress.

I filled the gaps around the visor in on mine with bondo. You have to be careful though that you properly mask off the visor and don't get any bondo on it as that's difficult to remove. Painters tape alone doesn't work as the resin in the bondo gets through that, but some packing tape under it stops that. After that it's just some smoothing with sandpaper.

That looks so good. I could never get that level of detail...
My dude, I'm the king of fuckups with peppa kura. If I can pull off this, then you can pull off much better. What I did here really wasn't complicated, just 3 different colors of paint. 1 black, 1 dark grey, 1 for silver scratches

I filled the gaps around the visor in on mine with bondo. You have to be careful though that you properly mask off the visor and don't get any bondo on it as that's difficult to remove. Painters tape alone doesn't work as the resin in the bondo gets through that, but some packing tape under it stops that. After that it's just some smoothing with sandpaper.
I'm kind of unsure if I want to fill the gaps or not, I think that might make them look even more strange, because they go out so far from me botching up the pepakura construction.

I finished my first set of armor! I'm kind of unsatisfied with it. I would like to remake the chest, shins, and waist out of foam. But for now I want to take a looong break XD
The chest feels a bit short to me, and the shins are all sorts of out of whack.
All critiques and suggestions for future improvements are welcome and encouraged!
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg

Last edited:
You were right, shins should probably be rebuilt. Foam is amazing. Honestly your chest looks pretty good, a piece that will make your suit probably feel better would be the ab-wrap for your stomach and would fill that negative space you are probably thinking about. I would suggest making it out of 4-6mm foam.
The arms look pretty good to me and the helmet as well. Maybe consider looking at doing the thighs out of foam before doing anything with the chest(cuz honestly the chest looks dang good imo). they(thighs) look good, but it looks like they might be missing some details.

I would be proud of the build but I definitly understand wanting to rebuild pieces. I think it's something all of do no matter how good it is :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back