........and Yet Another Iron Man Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcallanta

Jr Member
Hey guys,

I know its been awhile since I've been here and my MC is still incomplete........but I just thought I'd do a simple pep project just to exercise my pep/build skills before possibly completing the rest of my MC costume.

I got sharkheads pattern in pep & started on the build:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=mlcallanta&album_id=227908

Just like any pep form - inside was fiberglassed to harden the basic shape & cardboard was added outside for the details. All of this will be bondoed & hopefully be molded as well.

Do let me know what you think :)

Mardon (MLC)

mlcallanta@gmail.com

i was wondering when you were going to come back your mc build been one of the best but nothing wrong with another iron man helm

Awesome work so far Mardon! I can't wait to see how an MLC Iron Man will turn out.

Your work with pep and cardboard has been some of my favorite to watch since your first post on the site.

The pics are a little small so hard to make out all the detail but like the others, if your previous work is anything to go by then this will be awesome!

Skupilkinson said:
The pics are a little small so hard to make out all the detail but like the others, if your previous work is anything to go by then this will be awesome!

Yeah, sorry about that. However, all my prop projects are in printroom, so it'll be hard transferring them all to a new hosting pic site.

I do plan on posting a bigger pic in this thread, but waiting for the final prototype before molding or maybe the first product pull.

I did post some thread pics when I was doing my MC build - but somehow have exceeded the allowable limit.

Mardon (MLC)

mlcallanta@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
my name is unknown said:
COOLNESSS thats realy smooth good job!!!! Whitch paint job are you going for, Iron man or War machine?

Havent really thought about that.....but maybe just the typical IM color scheme for now.

What I'm thinking right now is if the front face detaches - and if it does, how do we lift it up to slide back :rolleyes

Mardon (MLC)

mlcallanta@gmail.com

Mardon, buddy! Damn good to see you around the forums again. It has been a while :cool

It's a shame that you haven't been able to finish your Mk VI armour yet (I know what it's like; mine's still not done after more than two years, lol), but I'm glad to see you're still tackling some Pep projects.

That Mk III helmet looks pretty good. Your bondo work is amazingly smooth. Not surprising though, given how your Mk VI armour has turned out so far ;)

As for how the face plate should slide back and up, the only thing I could think of to make it work would be to build some sort of thin track assembly.

Using a Dremel tool, cut very thin slits on the rear portion of the helmet, and attach very thin metal strips (perpendicular to the inner surface of the face plate) near the top edge of the face plate. Insert the thin strips into the slits and attach a small "stopper" of some sort to the front end of the slits so that the face plate doesn't slide right off when you bring it down in place.

Oh, and once the assembly is installed, be sure to add some padding around it so that you don't scratch your head on it.

Hope that helps. If that's not clear enough, I'll see about posting a pic to better describe what I mean.

Again, welcome back. Hope to see you around more often :)

SPARTAN II said:
Mardon, buddy! Damn good to see you around the forums again. It has been a while :cool

It's a shame that you haven't been able to finish your Mk VI armour yet (I know what it's like; mine's still not done after more than two years, lol), but I'm glad to see you're still tackling some Pep projects.

That Mk III helmet looks pretty good. Your bondo work is amazingly smooth. Not surprising though, given how your Mk VI armour has turned out so far ;)

As for how the face plate should slide back and up, the only thing I could think of to make it work would be to build some sort of thin track assembly.

Using a Dremel tool, cut very thin slits on the rear portion of the helmet, and attach very thin metal strips (perpendicular to the inner surface of the face plate) near the top edge of the face plate. Insert the thin strips into the slits and attach a small "stopper" of some sort to the front end of the slits so that the face plate doesn't slide right off when you bring it down in place.

Oh, and once the assembly is installed, be sure to add some padding around it so that you don't scratch your head on it.

Hope that helps. If that's not clear enough, I'll see about posting a pic to better describe what I mean.

Again, welcome back. Hope to see you around more often :)

Hey bro - its certainly nice to be back & thanks again for smoothing my return :D Yup, gotta get that MC back on track soon. I hope I still have those MC details somewhere :rolleyes

Yeah, I've had a similar track system that I'm trying to iron out in my head and as for a roller guide - Im imagining an inverted "T" metal strip. The top of the faceplate and the top of the dome shares the same level plane, so the faceplate should actually lift up a few centimeters before it could slide back. In a way, the inverted "T" or "I" would have its own stopper so the faceplate cant be lifted off entirely from its track.

2 things bug me thou - first, the track system would be needed to extend about an inch down the faceplate for a smoother slide back - thus, if you remove the faceplate, you'll see the 2 tracks looking like fangs of a vampire :p Well, not that it'll be noticable anyway since the faceplate covers it.

I am also looking at a 3" movement of the faceplate going back. I still cant imagine if thats enough to hang the faceplate like a "visor" or worse just hangs in an awkward position that still covers your eyes :p

Well, at this point - its all wait & see :D

Thought about using Neodymium magnets (aka hard-drive magnets) to keep it from moving once in position?

When I do my armor I'm planning on using some on the arm pieces so I can set them then strap it down...

But mainly want it for the space diaper so I can sit down easily at cons by just removing the butt(sticks to back of metal chair lol).

My first post...finally stopped lurking I guess.

Very Awesome work... Your bondo skills really impress!

Just looking at the WIP pics have answered many questions I had on how I'm going to do work on mine.

Thanks for posting this! One of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back