Any Calculus Wizzes? Stumped by exta credit problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronster

Any Calculus Wizzes? Stumped by extra credit problem...

Any ideas how to do the following problem??
5494528497_4f8646562c.jpg

I was thinking I could parameterize the curve to get a midpoint on the curve to find the distance between the line and the curve...not sure where this would get me though...

Any help is best help.

Thanks!

I know nothing about calculus but you might want to try Wolfram Alpha essentially you put an equation or other mathematical statement into the bar and hit enter. It will run it through its algorithms and give you everything you could possibly want to know about it. It even plots graphs. The key is to enter the equation as accurately as possible.

It doesn't only do math, it also tells you stuff about any other thing you put in, so foods, elements, businesses, dates, and tons more.

Hopes this helps.

Yeah, I know about Wolfram. Problem is I have to present the answer to my professor and convince him my answer is right. If he believes me, I get the credit...
Thanks though! I freaking love Wolfram... :D

So you have to solve it by revolving? I know an integral would work, not sutra about revolving though.

I am in Calc II right now. I know how to revolve a definite integral around the axises and vertical or horizontal lines. Don't know about a function though, even if it is only y=x.

BTW, what class is this from?

Your looking for the explanation or the answer? I am guessing that your teacher wont take answer...

If you need something to check your work by, the answer is approx = 0.5924 cubic units

There are a few ways to come about this answer, I am not sure at what point you are in Calculus, so the explanation would be horrible if I am not telling you a method you will have learned. When are you expecting to turn this work in.

I think you must first convert current coordinate system to Polar coordinate system...
I think so too... would this would give me a point on the curve to use to help find the distance between the two functions?
That way I could use that distance as a radius and integrate the volume...

Your looking for the explanation or the answer? I am guessing that your teacher wont take answer...

If you need something to check your work by, the answer is approx = 0.5924 cubic units

There are a few ways to come about this answer, I am not sure at what point you are in Calculus, so the explanation would be horrible if I am not telling you a method you will have learned. When are you expecting to turn this work in.

Yeah, it's an extra credit problem where I have to convince my professor that my answer is right. If he believes me, I'll get the bonus, but if he doesn't , I only have one other try--so two tries to show my professor.
And I believe the last day to show him is April 29th....

I got a different answer: 4.19 cubic units.

If you rotate the figure about the x-axis, the resulting shape can be viewed as a cone embedded inside an elliptical cup, with the opening towards the +x-axis. We know that we can calculate the volume of revolution made by a function f(x) using the disc method:

Volume = pi x integral {[f(x)]^2} dx
If we subtract the volume of revolution made by the cone (y=x) from the volume made by the ellipse (x=y^2/2), you'll get the required volume. In equation form,

V = pi x integral [sqrt(2x)]^2 dx - pi x integral (x^2) dx
Your limits of integration are from 0 to 2 and the rest is a simple matter of integration.

@Ral Partha... The Parabolic Function is rotated around the line x=y. Your example is rotating both around the current x-axis and subtracting one volume from the other... this wont work for this problem as the radius used to integrate is not perpendicular to the x-axis, rather it is perpendicular to the line x=y about which the region is rotated.

@Ronster... One method, would be to rotate the reference axis so that it aligns with the function x=y. Easy enough to integrate when the parabolic function is rotated about the axis right? Wrong, this will change your parabolic function to something rather not pleasant to integrate by hand. Remember rotating the axis changes your limits of integration as well.

Noticing that the function x=y is offset 45 degrees from the x-axis, rotate the reference axis 45 degrees and change the equation of your parabolic function. This is done by substitution, x=x' and y=y', where x'=(x+y)/sqrt[2] and y'=(x-y)/sqrt[2]. By substituting these variables and solving for x gives the new form of the parabolic function.

x=(y^2)/2

(x+y)/sqrt[2]=(((x-y)/sqrt[2])^2)/2 ----- Substitue

x=-(sqrt[2^(11/2)*y+16]-2^(3/2)*y-4)/2^(3/2). ----- Solve

Your limits of integration will now be y=0 to y=sqrt[2^2+2^2]

Volume = Integrate {Pi*R(y)^2 dy}

Volume = Integrate {Pi*(-(sqrt[2^(11/2)*y+16]-2^(3/2)*y-4)/2^(3/2))^2 dy}

Volume = Evaluate {Sqrt[2]*y+y^2/2-(1/3+(2*Sqrt[2]*y)/3)*Sqrt[1 + 2*Sqrt[2]*y] } from y=0 to y=2.828427

Volume = 0.592384392 cubic units

One method to solve your problem...

Noticing that the function x=y is offset 45 degrees from the x-axis, rotate the reference axis 45 degrees and change the equation of your parabolic function. This is done by substitution, x=x' and y=y', where x'=(x+y)/sqrt[2] and y'=(x-y)/sqrt[2]. By substituting these variables and solving for x gives the new form of the parabolic function.
How did you get the new values of x and y after rotating 45 degrees?
I haven't learned how to rotate functions yet...

Its a Linear Algebra method called a Rotation Matrix, used for rotating dimensions in 2 dimensional space based on a known angle theta (θ).

This format is for entering a matrix into a calculator (if you don't follow this format let me know), its the only easy method for entering a matrix into this forum without a picture.

[[x'][y']]=[[cos(θ)],-sin(θ)][sin(θ),cos(θ)]]*[[x][y]]

Evaluating the Matrix results in the following:

x' = x*cos(θ) - y*sin(θ)
y' = x*sin(θ) + y*cos(θ)

So you look back to your problem and determine the number of degrees you need to rotate your axis so that it will align with the function x=y.

In your problem, that would be θ=45°. (not showing the procedure for finding this angle, assuming you know geometry)

Remember your Trigonometry?
cos(45°) = √2/2
sin (45°) = √2/2

Substituting into your equations and simplifying (you do not need to simplify if your imputing this into a calculator)

x' = x*(√2/2) - y*(√2/2)
x' = (x - y)/(√2)

y' = x*(√2/2) + y*(√2/2)
y' = (x + y)/(√2)

This is all extremely helpful, Spase--thank you.
What do you do for a living? Does it involve a fair bit of calculus?
(if you don't mind me asking, that is)

I'm a mechanical engineer. My degree required calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, differential equations, matrix methods, calculus based physics 1, physics 2 and chemistry. Those were the pre reqs for a several engineering classes that utilized higher level math and science.

Glad I could help...

You still use a lot of calc in your job? Or is this just mostly what you remember from your classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back