Anyone know the name of this material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem95

Its this polystyrene like sheet foam material, its rigid and white but it snaps and cuts easily, and sands really nicely. Also both sides of it is smooth before cutting, Its not foam core board that im pretty sure of (not entirely though), If you want a picture just click on the link in my sig to my solid eye build. I bought that in china originally but now i am in the uk and I dont know the name of it over here :(

anyone? its a material that im hoping to use to replace layers of wood, Ive never worked with foam board that i know of so does foam board sand well?

Um, im not an expert, but im fairly certain its just sheet styrene. You can order sheets of it online HERE. Im pretty sure thats the stuff you're talking about.

sintra? it is kind of like a pvc sheet, but lightweight, easy to cut/sand, and has a dense foam like texture. pretty cheap too. $25.00 for a 4x8 sheet 3mm thick.

sintra? it is kind of like a pvc sheet, but lightweight, easy to cut/sand, and has a dense foam like texture. pretty cheap too. $25.00 for a 4x8 sheet 3mm thick.
That was gonna be my guess too, Sintra. You can get it in 1-6mm thickness, comes in a few different colours, is pretty cheap (I just got a 6'x8' sheet for $60 bucks), you can use heat on it to bend/etc and it'll hold that shape once cool, easy to cut with an exact-o knife, smooth.

yeah turns out that sintra over in the uk is just called plasticard :p or sheet styrene so youre all right! :D
thanks for the help!

It is all the same (or at least extremely similar) stuff, the lighter weight sheet is simply more porous and lacks the strength of the rigid stuff, but makes up for it in flexibility. The porous stuff is generally used for thermoforming (vac-forming or die molding) as it will stretch more without "blowouts". You can shape it with a heat gun and it cools quickly. The rigid stuff can also be used for thermoforming, but porous is ideal. The retailers/wholesalers will be more than happy to guide you in the right direction for your purposes. Ebay is a great place to buy leftovers of unused plastics from bulk orders.

Styrene: vinyl benzene
Sintra: brand name for expanded rigid PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) - sold most commonly in sheet, but available in solid geometric shapes, rods, tubes, etc. Not to be confused with common PVC pipe. Sintra is more lightweight and less durable, but provides more flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back