Arma 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halochief89

Hey 405th, I was wondering do any of you or have any of you played Operation Flashpoint (the original), ArmA, or ArmA 2?

It in the most generalized terms is a civilian version of a War Simulator used around the world. Thats what ArmA is a war simulator to the extreme as it can be on the engine it runs on. If your a fan of Battlefield then be extremely shocked how real this is.

In the long run, Full maps that can go all the way to 255km by 255km in length. You can run across the map on foot, drive across it, fly across it in jets, helicopters and other vehicles. Real armor systems as well.

Multiplayer can hold up to 100 troops if servers are strong enough. Gametypes are from Deathmatch,CTF,Capture the Island,Take and Hold, Coop, Campaign Coop, And player made ones.

The game also comes with its own mission editor which is extremely simple but if your into code can also be a extremely specific one as well. Here are some screenshots, some with player made addons/mods.

arma22009-10-1817-10-47-56.jpg

arma2bs2sm.jpg

ArmA2_16.JPG

shark.jpg

MH-5302-Low.jpg

trailsf.jpg

screen025p1.jpg

ARMA2brit2.jpg

arma22009-07-2816-45-56-09.jpg

And one awesome mod coming soon

a2_imperials5.jpg

I didn't take any of these screenshots except the 1st one.

So does anyone play it? Or have I gotten your attention on it?

If we ever had enough amount of people we could even have our own group with the game. (Love to see an ODST mod)

I remember this game. I never played before, but it looks cool.

I hope they have a clone trooepr mod for this game.

-Pony

If I remember correctly

A Nvidia 8800GTX

4gb ram (3 now a stick was taken out)

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 dual core processor 6000+

Windows Vista home premium 32 bit.

A bit outdated and soon going to have the guy who built it update it with a $#!Tload more stuff.

played the demo, and multiplayer seemed meh with a side of bleh. I was looking forward to Operation Flashpoint 2, but without dedicated servers or a real anti cheat I'm not buying anything, ie MW2 for pc.

Demo doesn't do ArmA 2 $#!T, The real ArmA 2's multiplayer is only fun and successful is when you have a clan/group making their own missions using addons that are kick ass. Look up some ArmA 2 videos or even ArmA 1 videos. The demos of Bohemia Interactive games don't really work but with the full game where you can make your own missions, campaigns with the editor the game is a A+ game.

6750c2d

4 gigs of ram

8800gtx

Vista 64

will it run with mostly med/high settings with some aa/af@1650x1080 resolution? I would be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I was psyched to play it before the demo arrived. Are the vehicles player controlled as well?

Everything is, I mean if your clan/group was big enough you could even have artillery units and a forward observer calls it in using real coordinates.

Heres the group I was with until we collapsed because we were low in numbers at the end. But we used real military training and tactics because our head guys were the real deal 1 being a Army Ranger. Anyways heres some videos- BTW this is ArmA 1 so ArmA 2 has been enhanced

[YOUTUBEHD]jycREKZ-1MI[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]JlJUaQ8sKNc[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]VQHdd8orx4s[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]bqJlDyyddTo[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]FwLXe55EPAU[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]0gP-FVeBdHc[/YOUTUBEHD]

Arma2 was pretty good, but I am really into games that are realistic. Arma2 is still not realistic in most ways sadly.

If you want realism, you need battlefield 2 reality mod. It really is awesome, and thousands still play it. you cant beat it.

If you want realistic ArmA 2 is the top dog. I'm sorry but Battlefield with a mod isn't realistic (rag dolls?) ArmA 2 by itself is a war simulator and is realistic the only thing that Bohemia died down for the ArmA games is damage systems for vehicles and soldiers. Even in VBS 2(The military proffessional version) The maps are around 10 times bigger, theres working FLIR, working NVGs with laser spotters. While the arma games are more like the demo of the VBS2.

[YOUTUBEHD]t_3zIodwGXw[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]YtgzXNT0sOE[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]RYutmZ19Xso[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]KnJ4mQsRxvQ[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]ZdRu1OCHtM0[/YOUTUBEHD]

Anyways BF2 reality mod although makes it so soldiers are killed with less bullets doesn't have a vitals system that ArmA games have. That also goes with body armor also. A US soldier with their kevlar can take 9mm rounds in a double digit quantity where as the normal civilian can't. But if the round was bigger say a 7.62 from a SKS or AK the soldier could take 2 because 7.62s can fly straight through body armor. With 5.56s the damage is more for limbs causing soldiers to be unable to run or even walk. If a soldier is shot in his arm, his aiming is off and if hes shot in the head, well no matter what hes going down.

A couple of major mods coming out for ArmA 2 one being ACE2 will have $#!Tload more realistic things. Such as a backpack system, fatigue system (the more you carry the faster you pass out if your run for too long) A medical system with IVs, adrenaline, smelling salts. Different types of ammunition either being tracer or non tracer as well, Also Jamming system and tripod system.

I have to say playing ArmA 2's campaign, single player missions or the majority of multiplayer (being Capture the Island or Domination, Super powers or City Life) all of those are created for the BF2 junkie to try and get them into ArmA 2 but the true ArmA experience is with realism unit like the 25th who create their own missions where the HUD is gone and all you have to tell how much ammo you have is to look down in your ammo pockets and see how many mags you have left. Using vital squad movements and not sprinting over a grassy hill in a wide open valley with a bunch of 14 year olds (no offense 14 year old members) who like to steal any helicopters and try and do BF2 style flying just ending up crashing into a forest and catching that forest on fire(yes there is a fire system in ArmA 2) and then complaining on the communication channels on how BF2, CSS, COD4 are more realistic. Thats why I don't play multiplayer on Domination servers because those servers do not show ArmA 2's real face of realism.

And Now ArmA 2 is getting a Standalone Expansion called Arrowhead with the engine being updated. FLIR system added with more additions with an enhanced communication system to civilians such as

US Soldier: Have you seen anything strange around here recently?

Pashtun Civilian: Yes we saw insurgents heading west of our village

US Soldier: Thank you

But to get that response from a civilian you have to show that your friendly such as providing security for them or even giving them items. That includes to interrogating POWs you caught on the battlefield. Also with Operation Arrowhead theres a city generator that generates cities and villages with the buildings from content ingame. Allowing for Coop missions to always be unique with the enhanced AI.

So from what I gathered you played ArmA 2's common things and not with actual serious groups. Like I said if we got a certain amount of people I'd love to start something up with you guys I've been making some missions for my own enjoyment but could put what I know to making missions for us whether it be a 2 player coop mission to a full blown 64 coop player mission. If your PC is strong enough you can even have over 1500 ai.

[YOUTUBEHD]8KK6Fo3Y0AU[/YOUTUBEHD]

And heres some ACE2 mod videos

[YOUTUBEHD]fzvRbKQpV2o[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]hPExkMXGqXs[/YOUTUBEHD]

Maybe ill get arma 2 again when I move over to the states next month. The thing with Arma that throws me off is the AI. Project reality in that sense covers all gaps as the multiplayer isnt just kill the other team etc. But I will give arma another try. I mean theres no doubting that its a good game but it still doesnt feel so realistic or smooth.

Also, apparently Project reality 2 is coming out as a standalone game in the future.

EDIT:

NM, just found out that it costs $1500. Thats a bit steep really...

Whats the word with the performance on the system I linked above? The demo seemed OK, but I was really curious with bigger explosions, more AI and vehicles how it would handle the game. The more I hear about this game the more I'm wanting to go for it. Are there any issues with Vista 64 or anything I should be aware of? crashes, running like ass, etc?

How easy wold it be for say a regular joe blow non clanned player to hop in one of these larger scale battles?

Early ArmA 1 had some problems with Vista 64 but Bohemia fixed it.

BTW the one that costs 1500 dollars is the professional version called VBS2. ArmA 2 is 20-40 bucks.

AI in Domination servers or any of the massive servers like domination, superpowers or others is retarded but special clans and groups have mods that extremely modify the AI's ideas. ACE2 is one mod that even triples the AI's smarts. In domination servers the ai is spawned to fend for itself and all they get is ability for reinforcements that the players can shoot out of the sky. AI has no commander to tell them where to go and how to fight. Missions for clans/groups realism units are made so they face players in new ways.

So "contained coop" is the real aspect of ArmA and not mass player spams on AI which can't handle over 40 players all shooting SMAWs at them at the sametime. AI isn't a master its a major thing with arma fans but specified missions are better then the domination like games.

OK, I bit and bought it. I'm at about 70% downloaded and as long as there isn't a gigs worth of patches tonight I'll probably be in there checking it out.

my brother is trying to get me to play, i downloaded the demo and started playing it but for some reason it doesnt work with my graphics card, as in the game runs, but the graphics are horribly choppy and muddled. my card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, its pretty new so i dont know whats going on with the game, maybe the game can't run with such a new card?

any help would be great

Well first go into the game and turn off post process effects. That killed my system but when I turned it off I got a pretty smooth game. Try that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back