Armor on Comission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath15

Is it Possible to Hire anyone to build a Set of Armor, possibly custom like my Avatar?

If so how much would such a set of armor cost, I know that the cost of materials is a little over 100 dollars, that is if its on the cheap, anyway this is all in hypothetical terms but any answers would be cool.

Afraid the idea behind the community is for learning and sharing how to make the armour, not hiring someone to do it for you.

Thats most of the fun if someone asked me, is building the armor yourself. A lot easier than I expected when i first started.

Well its not that I dont want to build it myself, its that I dont have a working space to do it in, I live in a small duplex for rent here in LA, and im lacking in tools though i suppose my Uncle and Cousin might be interested in this as a project, all right people ill take on the challenge,

where would i begin in recreating my Armor from Reach?

The first step you could most likely do in your apartment. You are going to need to download the programs Pepekura Designer and Pepekura Viewer. Then you need to find the pepekura files for the armor pieces you want, which are hidden somewhere on this site, the search bar helps a lot, also the 3D modeling section might help. After you get the files you need to scale one and print it on cardstock and then cut, fold, and glue. I recommend starting from the ground up, some tend to lose motivation after they have build their helmet first. Lastly, this information is VERY vague as building armor is much more complex, so now that you know the basic steps read up on the stickies here in the noob forum where you can learn more about each. Hope this helps and welcome to the 405th.

Thank you ill try not to be a burden = P

BTW one quick question, does the armor have any chance of standing up to Paintball?

If not I still have complete Desire to wear this to any chance I get.... and by chances I mean ruin any weddings or other fancy events by walking in with armor! = P

If you make the armor strong enough to stand up to paintballs, then you're going to make one heck of a target, as you will not be able to move.

Well its not that I dont want to build it myself, its that I dont have a working space to do it in, I live in a small duplex for rent here in LA, and im lacking in tools though i suppose my Uncle and Cousin might be interested in this as a project, all right people ill take on the challenge,

where would i begin in recreating my Armor from Reach?

When I started my project my 2 work spaces were:
(1.) my computer desk for getting my files, cutting, folding and gluing.
(2.) And a piece of wood over my laundry tube for applying the smooth cast 321 ( resin ). I now have replaced the tub with a 2.5'x3' work top and have plenty of space for 1-2 pieces and my tools.

If you go with a foam build you can pretty much work anywhere, and/or if you work with resin (depending on what type) you will need a work surface that You don't worry about slopping stuff on. Good ventilation is highly looked for when doing most resin.

BTW one quick question, does the armor have any chance of standing up to Paintball?

Paintball - Yes - Most paintball vest back in the 80's were just thin foam so a foam build will work easily, but might be a little bulky depending on what build style you go with. This will probably require allot more strapping, gluing and fitting/sizing than a regular build just to keep it from falling apart while running and rolling around. It will wear out fast, and need to be fixed often.

Airsoft - No - As seen on the forums here there are a few people that have made armor that could hold up to this type of high power'd hits, but all claim that they are way to heavy/bulky to be running around in and not worth the safety risk to go any further. (this is what Ive been told for Airsoft, I haven't played it. And it seem as there are a few different types of weapons and/or ammo for this.)

All in all I personally would say read the forums and try a regular build before even thinking of using this type armor in any activity. This come from a guy whom has played allot of paintball wearing just a hood and safety glasses before they came out with helmets or any armor. I still have some of the old classic weapons in a footlocker some were. But I wouldn't wast my money building a suit for paintball.

That said, I hope that you do try a build and find that you really enjoy this hobby as much as the rest of us. And when you do please post it, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Sounds like you are wanting to attempt the same thing I'm doing, making your reach armor. I'll tell you, I only have my bedroom to work in. It's a bit cramped, but when you make a piece, you WILL find a place to keep it safe from harm.

None of this is difficult, however it may be a bit time consuming depending on the detail you want and the methods you choose to use.

My advice on making PROP armor for paintball/airsoft: DON'T! This stuff can easily chip and/or crack in any number of places sending shrapnel in any number of directions. Remember, these are only costumes and NOT designed to absorb high velocity impact.

Sounds good then when i posted last night it was really late (3:00 AM) but i just downloaded Pepekura ill start going over the Models...

Take a look at my page 4 for some files and links. There should be enuff there to get you gong well into you're project.

(Wrath15) seriously take a look at page 4. and follow the links it will help you.

Read the stickies! All of the info you are asking for is in there. Also try not to double or triple post, there's an edit button where you can add more info or questions to previous posts. Good luck and have fun!

If you decide to go with the foam build, use the pep files as stencils to cut-out the pieces of foam then glue together. I find superglue works best and strongest for gluing foam together. For $12 bucks a pack, you can pretty much build your whole entire suit out of four pieces of 24x24" foam mats. Check out my signature line below on how I am building my foam armor. You might find some helpful info to help you get started. I live in a town home (almost like a duplex) and I use my garage to work on my armor. Good luck and hope to see your build soon!

to find the files you this is the place to look, as far as i know all of them are there
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread?highlight=reach+unfolds
read through the stickies to they are a great help, good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions there are so many people here that arent just willing to help but actually want to.

if you re-enforce it enough, but im not sure if id be wanting to test it to find out so i would'nt recomend it

Ok ive looked through that thread but im sorry to say i havnt had any luck finding those files....to get the 3D models. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back