Armor Scaling Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipboy439

Jr Member
I am starting my work on the rest of my armor now, and i got to thinking. If the .pdo files from the wiki are all originally scaled to fit Master Chief, and then I uses the formula to find the scale of my helmet that fits me perfectly, could i be able to just use that scaling factor for the rest of the armor? or is this not the way that pepakura works?

flipboy439 said:
I am starting my work on the rest of my armor now, and i got to thinking. If the .pdo files from the wiki are all originally scaled to fit Master Chief, and then I uses the formula to find the scale of my helmet that fits me perfectly, could i be able to just use that scaling factor for the rest of the armor? or is this not the way that pepakura works?
honestly i don't know
i would think it should work in theory, but you'd have to use the same pdo Author, otherwise you'd have to figure out your scaling for all the authors, FS, Robogenisis, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh okay, see thats what i was wondering. but the thing that i dont get is that if the files are all set to fit Master Chief, shouldnt the same factor scale them to fit me?

no only files by the same author have the same scaleing factor (this isn't always true)
The only one that you can really do it with with ease is robogenisis as all you have to do ias input your height in inchs into the scale factor other wise i don't think your theory would work to well

Well what I've been doing is mesuring separate body parts with mesuringtape and its worked great so far.

Unfortunantly most people that create 3d files don't always use the same scale factor for all of their different pieces. For instance, a helmet could have a scale of 2.876594 and fit your perfectly, but another file like a bicep could have a number of .0054637 and be way too big. Basically the best way to go about scaling a whole suit is to simply measure your body part and input that number into the Height box. It might take some trial and error, but a perfectly scaled piece is worth it's weight in gold. It's totally worth the effort to take you time and make sure your pieces fit right. ;)

Yes, but what if you scaled said piece using the formula, and just taken the measurements (Height, width, etc.) out and placed them where they should be? Wouldnt that work a lot better than trying to find the scale all the time?

this is also assuming you have the same bodyshape as Master Chief. One scale for the arm peices might not fit right on you correctly with the leg peices, even if all the peices have the same scale relative to Master Chief. Abrant3 's sizing tutorial on youtube says to just scale each peice individualy. Measure your body, then input the part. This is very easy with Pep Designer 3, because you can keep the aspect ratio the same, and type in the distance for any axis. I've done all my peices this way so far, and its been working out fine.

Nobody human has the same bodytype as the chief. I think in the game, the armor overlaps itself too which is impossible.

I think I understand now. I just wish that there was an easier way, a more uniform way. that would eliminate some pieces being too big in areas, and others being too small. along with the fact that it would eliminate the trial and error process. but oh well. oh, wait, if youre using the same pieces by one author, say for instance flyingsquirrel, would inputing a helmet scale into his other pieces work then? assuming he used the same scale throughout

flipboy439 said:
I think I understand now. I just wish that there was an easier way, a more uniform way. that would eliminate some pieces being too big in areas, and others being too small. along with the fact that it would eliminate the trial and error process. but oh well. oh, wait, if youre using the same pieces by one author, say for instance flyingsquirrel, would inputing a helmet scale into his other pieces work then? assuming he used the same scale throughout

Probably not. As mentioned already, we don't share the Master Chief's physique. Humans are not asymmetrical, and the MC has a pretty unrealistic body structure to begin with.

Veritech017 said:
Probably not. As mentioned already, we don't share the Master Chief's physique. Humans are not asymmetrical, and the MC has a pretty unrealistic body structure to begin with.
other than the height and asymmetrical part,
i'd say he's just in good shape

Skippster86 said:
Nobody human has the same bodytype as the chief. I think in the game, the armor overlaps itself too which is impossible.

Not true! there are a few people that are about the same build as him. basketball players perhaps? o_O altho nobody is physically and mentally augmented like him. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back