Balistek's Wip N00B Alert::

Status
Not open for further replies.

balistek

Jr Member
Hey guys, I believe this is my first thread, but I have been lurking and learning for quite some time now. I just recently started using pepakura for the first time.

This is what I got so far.

Halo Helm ( Smooth unfold by MrOreo)

P3050058.jpg

P3140058.jpg

I kinda put too much resin on the helm and that came and bit me on the ass later on. Also used too much bondo on one side of the helm. Lesson learned!!!

This is how the helmet sits right now. I still have a good bit of work to do on it. I screwed up the top of the helmet during the pepping phase so I will have to live with that.

P3190060.jpg

Here is my other side project.

P3190065.jpg

Any constructive criticism, tips, words of advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed. BTW this site is AMAZING

Is that dungbeetles iron man?

I just finished pepping one.

I need to make a larger one for me, but am being lazy. :p

Nice work for a first build.

Hope theres more coming. ;)

yes that is dungbeetles helm, but it was also smoothed by Mr.Oreo. That helm is scaled at 300mm. I kinda wish i would have done 310mm. For people with knowledge on the iron man helm.. judging by the faceplate/jaw.. do u think i'll be able to fit my head into once i finish the rest?

Thanks for the compliments guys, def helps keep the motivation up

balistek said:
yes that is dungbeetles helm, but it was also smoothed by Mr.Oreo. That helm is scaled at 300mm. I kinda wish i would have done 310mm. For people with knowledge on the iron man helm.. judging by the faceplate/jaw.. do u think i'll be able to fit my head into once i finish the rest?

Thanks for the compliments guys, def helps keep the motivation up

Yea, most likely.

I can almost fit my head into the unsmoothed version i made.

Its scaled to 241mm and im 6'3, the only issue i have is my hair gets in the way. (Men with pony tails FTW!! Kinda)

Ill most likely do mine 290 just to make sure though.

Last edited by a moderator:
so yea i was going overboard wetsanding at 1500 hehe and well i hit the paper. Now i sloshcasted some rondo on the inside the helm, but I think the quickest fix would be to use some spot putty over the areas i went through. Or i could be super lazy and use that texture as scuffing for my battle damage. I transformed my satin black primer into almost a gloss haha... gotta love wetsanding at 1500+

I was worried about this "double posting" rule, so I didn't post any updates because I was the last to respond on this thread. However, I went read the rules thread and its ok as long as I update with progress. Heres what I got. I rate this helm a 6/10. I'll chalk it up to a good learning experience.

P3230068.jpg

P3230067.jpg

It looks like you got it way smooth! Not a lot of people have the patience to wet sand all the way down to 1500 plus! With that kind of dedication you will do just fine in the long run!!

haha bit of a rocky start eh ? (haha from what i read at least)but for a first time effort that is a mighty fine piece of work you got there :). and as mentioned above, you've got a very key virtue that will take you a long way in this hobby: patients. to sand the helmet down that smooth must have taken but loads of it :D lol. keep it up and you will be the proud owner of a kick ass suit of mjolnir armour in no time :)

just out of curiosity, do you plan on re-doing this helmet, or are you going to stick with this one ? cause if you decide to make an other one, you should try one of the higher detailed files for a bigger challenge :)

O.T.

I plan on using flying squirrel's HD model on my next go around. I'm not too sure about sizing of my helm tho.. I feel like i should go a tad smaller. What do you guys think? Scaling in the below pictures is at 292mm. Opinions on the size?

P3240071.jpg

P3240072.jpg

P3240073.jpg

Yeah looks a bit big to me. Maybe go with a 270mm on flying squirrel's model. Usually after you trim around the inside of the neck area of the helm it fits perfect.

Relative to the rest of your armor the helm will look a lot better. Any smaller than that and its going to look like you have a raisin head. You will also have padding etc to put in, so you definitely don't want to go much smaller than what you have now if you do. I would keep the same scale.

ok guys, need opinions on the iron man helm.. I have it all together minus the back piece with the ear pieces. It just doesn't wanna work for me. It almost seems that a 2 piece helmet would be better. Would make it easier to take on and off. Still not great at the pepping thing yet.. but here is a pic of my iron man. I will post more pics after work today.

P3250068.jpg

with regards to the size of theMk VI helmet, i wouldn't change the sizing, remember, fiberglass and resin take up some space. then there is all the padding you will want to put into the helmet, plus the fans/lights. best to stick what the size you've got... IF you do decided to go down in size i wouldn't go lower than 280.

O.T.

balistek said:
I plan on using flying squirrel's HD model on my next go around. I'm not too sure about sizing of my helm tho.. I feel like i should go a tad smaller. What do you guys think? Scaling in the below pictures is at 292mm. Opinions on the size?

I have the opposite concern for mine... I think it might be a tad small, so I can understand the dilemma. :)

The best thing might be to pep up the torso to see how it looks in relation. Proportions matter in this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
small bit of progress. I've ditched the low res helm and kinda destroyed my iron man helm. Was a tad bit small so I took the pleasure in shattering it. I took a break from the Iron man scene to start working on a file worth investing time into. Flying squirrels Final version mark vi to be exact. I'm trying to take my time with this one. Trying to treat every piece with the precision that I expect from myself. I'm pretty satisfied thus far.

Small Update (Pics)

Visor( why are there two layers on the pep?????)

P4010090.jpg

Center Chin area

P4010089.jpg

Can't wait to see this completed. I would like to thank xtreme tactics for helping me some scaling issues. I am confident that this scale size will work out perfectly.

more progress. I am taking a long time on this pep. I messed up the led light area. Hopefully i can salvage it.

P4050091.jpg

I was wondering the same thing as to why there are 2 layers for the visor on the MK VI helmet. :eek I doubt you really need both. As long as you have one, fully pepped visor to help hold it in place, I'm sure that's all that matters. :p

Your iron man helm is looking pretty nice too. It looks like you have a few run streaks too. When you resin (for future reference) always do LIGHT coats. NEVER slab it on. You only need enough to just help stiffen it up a bit so it holds it's shape better when you go to fiberglass, rondo, or whatever method you use to harden it. For most of my pep's, I have used just one light coat. Some people might use 2 coats of resin, but I have always seemed to be okay with just one layer. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back