Beginning my Halo Reach MKV (b) build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infernalaxe

Member DIN
S322
IMG_20230123_012527674.jpg

Last edited:
Ran into an issue. The helmet is a 3d print that came in several pieces I put together. Being paranoid as I am about things falling apart,I decided to reinforce the status with hot glue. Not worried about the inside just the outside. In my attempts to try and remove the excess, using different methods, I slightly melted a little bit of the ear pay on the side. The round part. Can't decide if I want to just use this for decoration and build a foam helmet, or try and salvage this one. Not sure I can add it be good enough. Still have some for to take off but not even trying now. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, as you've learnt the hard way, hot glue can very easily warp sections of a 3D print - and generally isn't a good adhesive for plastics with such little surface area. Do you know if it's PLA or PLA+? Superglue can work surprisingly well, just make sure to scuff up the edges that get glued for a better grip. After, that, I like to plastic weld to make the connections more secure. You could go another step further and fibreglass the inside.

How badly damaged is the helmet?

Unfortunately, as you've learnt the hard way, hot glue can very easily warp sections of a 3D print - and generally isn't a good adhesive for plastics with such little surface area. Do you know if it's PLA or PLA+? Superglue can work surprisingly well, just make sure to scuff up the edges that get glued for a better grip. After, that, I like to plastic weld to make the connections more secure. You could go another step further and fibreglass the inside.

How badly damaged is the helmet?
I posted pics of the damage. Any thoughts?

This has me thinking of going a different route and just going all foam. Haven't started the rest yet so I'm only.out the money and time for this helmet. Maybe make this a decoration and do a MK VI or VII. Don't know yet.

I mean, do you have the files or did you buy it as a raw print? Hot glue guns on a PLA print is gonna be risky af. Did it all line up before you did the hot glue?

Sucks when stuff like that happens but setbacks are part of a build, my man. Everyone here who has printed anything big has had to reprint stuff for either printing errors or finishing mistakes. Don't feel too bad about it.

I have seen people do some amazing helmets in foam, so I know it's possible! Seems way harder to me, but I don't work in foam so my opinion isn't worth much on that...

I mean, do you have the files or did you buy it as a raw print? Hot glue guns on a PLA print is gonna be risky af. Did it all line up before you did the hot glue?

Sucks when stuff like that happens but setbacks are part of a build, my man. Everyone here who has printed anything big has had to reprint stuff for either printing errors or finishing mistakes. Don't feel too bad about it.

I have seen people do some amazing helmets in foam, so I know it's possible! Seems way harder to me, but I don't work in foam so my opinion isn't worth much on that...
I bought it. Don't have my own printer yet. Found some ways to clean it up so I'm going to try..hopefully it'll work out. If not, I'll go another way. I'm trying a foam helmet build right now, no details just to see if I can get the base right.

It's hard to tell how bad the damage is, but it may be salvagable. See if you can cut the glue on the helmet to break it into its original sections, and try and scrape the hot glue off. Super glue on a roughened surface will give a good starting point for adhesion, and you can reinforce it with plastic welding and even resin/fibrglass if you desired.

In terms of the ear piece, that may take a bit more of a creative/problem solving approach. You could try and level the surface out with something like Bondo, cover it, or play it off as battle damage even (like a dent - Ain't That a Kick in the Head).

It looks rough, but definitely salvageable!
It's hard to tell how bad the damage is, but it may be salvagable. See if you can cut the glue on the helmet to break it into its original sections, and try and scrape the hot glue off. Super glue on a roughened surface will give a good starting point for adhesion, and you can reinforce it with plastic welding and even resin/fibrglass if you desired.

In terms of the ear piece, that may take a bit more of a creative/problem solving approach. You could try and level the surface out with something like Bondo, cover it, or play it off as battle damage even (like a dent - Ain't That a Kick in the Head).
Maybe cut out the warped/misformed edges, sand the hell out of it and use bondo and filler primer to straighten and shape everything back into the original design
I agree with PlanetAlexander and Invidiax4fan on getting rid of as much of the hot glue as you, can then covering it with bondo or spot putty and reattaching the pieces with super glue. In the future I highly recommend backing the seams with something like JB Weld Plastic Bonder Epoxy If you don't want to fiberglass the entire inside of the helmet for support.

It looks rough, but definitely salvageable!

I agree with PlanetAlexander and Invidiax4fan on getting rid of as much of the hot glue as you, can then covering it with bondo or spot putty and reattaching the pieces with super glue. In the future I highly recommend backing the seams with something like JB Weld Plastic Bonder Epoxy If you don't want to fiberglass the entire inside of the helmet for support.
Yeah I plan on doing this. It's my first time putting a3d printed part together and had no clue. I used contact cement first and just used the hot glue to try and cover seams and reimburse a little bit. I'm going to be able to save it and definitely plan on it. Thanx everyone!

Yeah I plan on doing this. It's my first time putting a3d printed part together and had no clue. I used contact cement first and just used the hot glue to try and cover seams and reimburse a little bit. I'm going to be able to save it and definitely plan on it. Thanx everyone!
No problem, and if it helps you out I have videos on my YouTube channel going over the basics of finishing processes for 3D printed armor and props. I'll also have a video soon going over joining 3D printed parts and backing the seams if you'd like to see some of these suggestions in action.

No problem, and if it helps you out I have videos on my YouTube channel going over the basics of finishing processes for 3D printed armor and props. I'll also have a video soon going over joining 3D printed parts and backing the seams if you'd like to see some of these suggestions in action.
Yeah, I'll check those out for sure..don't have a printer yet but plan on getting one in the future

Just inspected my helmet and found a ton of weak spots. Might just gonna different route..all is good though, I'm going to have something built soon

Maybe I'll just go all foam..helmets mess me up but I can do it..
Foam helmets can look just as if not better than most 3D printed helmets. The important part of any foamsmithing is patience and practice! I think you could do a really good foam helmet and I can't wait to see what you'll make!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back