Belakor's Mjolnir Armor Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
rvb18 said:
ya i loaded the pdo's but its only leting me use it with viewer not the other. do i some how print them with viewer or what?

The files work fine for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too, in fact.......i got a few pics of my finished helmet!

the opening is too small, so i just trimmed it. it really fits well!

i cant upload it, just check out my gallery.

rvb18 said:
ya i loaded the pdo's but its only leting me use it with viewer not the other. do i some how print them with viewer or what?

That's odd... are you opening the files by double-clicking on the icon? I'm just thinking that maybe the viewer app has somehow been set as the default so maybe try to open the files from the file menu of pep designer (if you aren't already doing that)

Garland said:
This stuff is looking good, Belakor, keep up the great work. I've downloaded a bunch of your files too; they're nice.
rvb4life said:
Me too, in fact.......i got a few pics of my finished helmet!

the opening is too small, so i just trimmed it. it really fits well!

i cant upload it, just check out my gallery.

Good to hear you guys like the files and that Recon helmet looks really good rvb4life :) (I had to trim the neck area a bit to get my head in as well)

Been really busy and sick the past few days so I haven't been on or uploaded any new files but I'm about to change that :D

First up, the EVA shoulder:
th_EVAShoulder.jpg
EVA Shoulder (A4)
As always the Letter version is on it's way

Next up, the Recon chest but I wouldn't suggest people use this one unless you're really desperate (FS's one should be much easier to work with since it's fitted to his torso), the only reason I used it was because I was bored and had no other models to work with :p
th_ReconChest.jpg
Recon Chest (A4)
th_ReconBoxes.jpg
Recon Chest boxes (A4)
Recon Chest boxes (Letter)
Chances are I'll end up scrapping mine to go with FS's one once it's out :)

Chest Permutation sizer, I'm just trying to find the pic I took for the sizing... I really need to organize my files

I've also got a couple of non-Halo models in the works, nothing too fancy, just a couple of models from the Star Wars game Kotor II
Here's a quick preview:
th_CommandoHelmet.jpg
That's the Sith Commando helmet from the game, I would have had it up and ready for use in a day or so but for some reason a-lot of the pep files that I've been doing recently are getting erased and I don't know why... I make two or three back-ups of them and all are gone next time I go to work on them :unsure:

And finally some pics of my current armor progress.

CQB chest resined, 'glassed, and bondoed (is that a word?):
th_IMG_0698.jpg

CQB shoulder waiting for sanding and paint:
th_IMG_0699.jpg

EVA Shoulder:
th_IMG_0694.jpg

Recon chest and box things:
th_IMG_0692.jpg
that's about all for now...

Hun, that new Recon chest is nothing short of a godsend. I'll be using this in my armor project and I eagerly await further progress.

I'll also add this file to the archive and database.

I'd like to add a note here that unfolding and scaling for the Recon chest a la FS has not been done yet - I had a go and failed pretty badly. If details could be posted here on a better way, I'd be very appreciative.

oh, im just chopping it up now if youd like a copy. i dont plan on unfolding it thoe, i dont have enough time atm

EDIT:n/m :D
Belakor said:
I've got the box things unfolded already and I'm slowly working my way through the chest

Sweet! thanks for posting that FS, looks awesome :cool: Hopefully I'll have it assembled in a few days :D

Primal Weyland said:
I'd like to add a note here that unfolding and scaling for the Recon chest a la FS has not been done yet - I had a go and failed pretty badly. If details could be posted here on a better way, I'd be very appreciative.

I've got the box things unfolded already and I'm slowly working my way through the chest but it might take me a while (doing a few things at once here ;) ), as for scaling... I think 42.8cm would be the MC sized version, possibly if you took the scale number from the HD torso and input that in the Recon, though I can't say if that will work without trying it myself.

Update: Just tried it and inputting the scale number from the HD torso does work :)

Understood. I'd try a scaling model but unfortunately I don't have the resources, and I lack the knowledge to scale to the FS torso (which I'll be using).

However, thank you, and I patiently await the results of your work (and the delivery of 5x500-sheet card reams... more than ample supplies to finish an armor set, I'd imagine).

Unfolded A4 version of FS's Recon Chest is now up :) Letter version is on the way. Scaling is the same as the HD torso so if you've done that already just copy the scale number from the torso to the chest piece.

One thing I should probably point out, there are some really tricky looking folds and since I haven't built this one yet I'm not sure how hard they are (or if they are even possible)

Belakor said:
One thing I should probably point out, there are some really tricky looking folds and since I haven't built this one yet I'm not sure how hard they are (or if they are even possible)
:/ uh oh, which ones? if their too bad lemme know n ill remove em.

Belakor you should really make a tutorial on how you made the helmet. (I'm curios how many layers of bondo you put on it, cause it looks really thick.) (y)

flying_squirl said:
:/ uh oh, which ones? if their too bad lemme know n ill remove em.

Disregard the previous statement about some folds looking really difficult, after printing it all out they don't look all that difficult :) ... Looking at the pieces on the computer screen makes everything look so much smaller :p
I've just started on the belt boxes and everything is going good :D

Rowan K. G. said:
Belakor you should really make a tutorial on how you made the helmet. (I'm curios how many layers of bondo you put on it, cause it looks really thick.) (y)

I have been meaning to write something up but I'm having trouble finding the time :( hopefully I'll get to it soon :) but to answer your question about bondo...

It's probably between four and six layers but I sanded heavily between each layer, basically just enough to cover all the paper with enough bondo so I could dremel the details in without hitting the paper, most of the thickness is in the fiberglass layers (about four layers of 'glass) which also means it weights a bit.

Small progress update...

Because of my deadline (70 days until my next major troop) I've decided to go and do a few of the pieces using low detail models from the Beta (a combination of Robogenisis' versions and my own), so far I've resined the cod/belt and I'm just starting to reinforce the thighs.

Cod/belt piece and the insane bracing system I rigged up:
th_IMG_0704.jpg th_IMG_0705.jpg

I'll get some pics of my progress over the weekend.

Also, the letter version of the EVA shoulder is up

Belakor said:
Disregard the previous statement about some folds looking really difficult, after printing it all out they don't look all that difficult :) ... Looking at the pieces on the computer screen makes everything look so much smaller :p
I've just started on the belt boxes and everything is going good :D
I have been meaning to write something up but I'm having trouble finding the time :( hopefully I'll get to it soon :) but to answer your question about bondo...

Cod/belt piece and the insane bracing system I rigged up:
th_IMG_0704.jpg th_IMG_0705.jpg

phew, ok. well if you do come accross anything lemme know n ill re-edit it.

also... GOOD LORD!!! you put my finiky support struts to shame! thats a full on scafolding job in there!!!

You're incredible Belakor :) Seeing your stuff really inspires me :D I hope you do get a gig at Weta, you've got great virtual and Physical 3D skillz!

Damn... I had a post all written up and ready to post and then the browser suddenly closes and I lose everything :mad:

Anyway, here's the resined cod/belt (two layers inside and three outside)
th_IMG_0713.jpg th_IMG_0711.jpg th_IMG_0712.jpg

I'll remove the struts and start 'glassing tomorrow if the weather is good... which it probably wont be, the weather is always crap on Sunday :cautious: I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow, the light is really bad right now.

flying_squirl said:
phew, ok. well if you do come accross anything lemme know n ill re-edit it.

also... GOOD LORD!!! you put my finiky support struts to shame! thats a full on scafolding job in there!!!

Yeah, I think I took it a little too far:lol: It started out as a simple four piece setup but then I saw a weak spot and added another strut, then I found another weak spot, then another, and another and... I think you can see where I'm going with this :p

Skullcandy Girl said:
You're incredible Belakor :) Seeing your stuff really inspires me :D I hope you do get a gig at Weta, you've got great virtual and Physical 3D skillz!

Thanks Skullcandy, I really appreciate the compliment :) and I think it might be good to have someone "on the inside" at Weta :D (though you never know, there's probably some crew lurking here already :unsure:)

Now what I would recommend is that when you're all done, you make a mixture of 1 part rubbing alcohol 2part dishwasher soap (the real thick stuff) and rub it on the crown of the helmet

then, all you need is a match and your head will burn for about 10 minutes or so without damaging the helmet underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back