Belakor's Mjolnir Armor Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belakor

3790438331_91fe344b87.jpg

Current photos Here

Hello all,

Another new member here, but not new to the world of costuming and prop building. I've been a member of the 501st for about nine months now and building props and costumes for many years.

I've been working on and posting about my pep Recon armor on another forum for a while and a friend and fellow garrison member suggested I post it over here now that I'm almost finished (with the helmet)... so here they are:

th_DSCF1941.jpg th_DSCF1942.jpg th_DSCF1945.jpg th_DSCF1939.jpg

I've still got a bit of work to do before the helmet is totally finished, still have to finish all the wiring (which is fairly involved), padding, and tidy up a few problems on the outside. I've also started on the Recon chest but I haven't done a whole lot on that.

There are heaps more photos of various projects over on my Photobucket account, most of which are still very much unfinished ;)

Anyways, that's about all for now. Comments, criticism, and questions welcomed :)

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

volkov said:
Awesome, is that the first finished one so far?

Not sure, I've seen at least one other here but I'm not sure how many finished ones there are. I just wanted a cool helmet to go with the rest of the armor so I wasn't going out of my way to be the first or anything :)

JoobiDoob said:
Woh, nice. Wats it made from? Fiberglass resin?

I probably should have put that information in the first post... yeah, it's a combination of fiberglass mat /epoxy resin and bondo as well as 6-8 coats of primer, two coats of matt black, and a can of Tamiya TS-28 Olive Drab 2 (credit for that goes to Tim (Halo_1) for posting about TS-28 in the "MLC's journey to becoming MC!" topic, it's the only decent OD paint that I've been able to find here ;)

Forgot I had these... here's a couple of shots of the interior and most of the electronics:

th_DCP_0330.jpg th_DCP_0320.jpg

In the first photo I've got, going clockwise from the top left, 38 channel UHF radio wired for 'remote operation' , two spyear units wired together for stereo hearing, 75mm blower fan, and a radioshack amp that I've gutted and rewired so people can hear me talk (the mic for the radio and amp is a "retired" 360 headset that I mounted to the fan assembly but has been moved since then)

Most of the stuff was pulled out of my TK helmet but I'm planning on wiring it so everything can easily be switched between helmets.

The second one is of the blower fan installed in the visor area, you can see the inlet in the photos I posted earlier of the helmet (the inlet will be hidden by that detail piece that goes on top the helmet)

Both photos are reasonably old so things have changed a bit since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
woah mines is still on the sheets of paper on pepakaura, i better go and cut them out then put them together. would you sudjest me to use fiberglassing resin or sculptamold?

I can has Recon? AWESOME! That's amazing. You should totally cast one and send it to Bungie, you might actually get the Recon armor in the game lol.

Wow, Recon looks awesome when finished! maybe I'll do that next. Someone needs to make a fan film with armor perms actually fulfilling their nomenclature: CQB gets sent into a bunker with a shotgun and SMGs to clear it out, Recon sneaks around gathering intel, EOD is the bomb squad...

Panton6 said:
woah mines is still on the sheets of paper on pepakaura, i better go and cut them out then put them together. would you sudjest me to use fiberglassing resin or sculptamold?

I don't really know much (or anything really) about sculptamold, other than what I've read in 1ManBattalion's topic so I can't really say if one is better than the other. It does look to be more of a bondo replacement rather than a fiberglass replacement so you'd probably need to reinforce the pep model with something like resin, 'glass, or some other material.

Gunnz777 said:
I can has Recon? AWESOME! That's amazing. You should totally cast one and send it to Bungie, you might actually get the Recon armor in the game lol.

I had actually thought of doing that but I don't really know if I want to raise my profile that much ;) though they might be cool with it, something to think about... I will end up moulding it though, hopefully have a couple of pulls early next year.

NZ-TK said:
Nice one Belakor, Ive been waiting for you to post that here, OP42FTW!

It's good to finally have it looking good enough to post anywhere but OP42 :D

Vader said:
I think the only thing missing is the flames. :lol:
Great stuff!

Yeah, if I didn't have to stick my head in there I'd probably rig up some sort of flame system just for the fun of it but I've not had a lot of good luck with fire in the past :lol:

SpArtan-270 said:
Wow.........That is INSANE!! Awsome job dude. And welcome to the 405th. :D

Thanks and thanks for the welcome :)

While I'm posting I might as well add early progress pics of my hand plate:
th_DSCF1965.jpg th_DSCF1963.jpg

I used Robogenisis' HD hand plates, which are awesome :cool: Still a bit of work to do on it and I'll end up moulding and casting a couple when I'm done (so I don't have to try and shape two identical pieces ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful Recon helm, looks like the rest of your armor will be just as stunning. You've already got a head start with the hand plates.

Congrats on the great work. Paint it up soon!

You need to get out of the noob forum and be able to post in creation discussion. Wasn't this an example of the "exeption"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back