Belakor's Mjolnir Armor Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belakor said:
Been playing with some leftover paint the past couple of days (note this isn't the color it will be when done ;) ) :
th_IMG_0563.jpg th_IMG_0564.jpg
I've decided to save a bit of time and cut those recessed chest detail pieces out and replace them with styrene sheet, I've also opened up the recessed light area and I'll fit some clear plastic once I've finished the sanding.

I forgot to rotate this one:
th_IMG_0559.jpg
You can kind of see the reshaping and the detailing

Here's a couple of shots of the camera I'm using and also the styrene housing that I quickly built to hold it in the helmet, I'm probably going to use some industrial velcro to attach it but I'm looking at another way that might be a bit more sturdy...
th_IMG_0554.jpg th_IMG_0555.jpg

and finally, I finished unfolding this the other day:
th_ReconShoulderEdited.jpg th_ReconShoulderUnedited.jpg
Recon Shoulder
I have no idea what size it should be and it'll need a bit of work done once assembled to get the two main pieces to fit together but I thought I'd throw it up anyway in case someone was feeling adventurous ;)

Awesome job!

I assume you're going to mount the camera in the helmet or something?

Or did you state what it was for and I missed it? :D

I plan on having a lot of electronics on my armor ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies and for keeping this alive while I was offline everyone :) I'll reply to all of you when I have a chance but right now I'm running low on time :(
I was going to hold off on posting anything until after I had some primer on but it might be a while so I'll throw these up to keep you busy :D

One finished, but unpainted, Recon helmet (minus final visor):
th_DSCF2223.jpg th_DSCF2221.jpg th_DSCF2227.jpg
th_DSCF2228.jpg th_DSCF2231.jpg

In this pic I've got the display visor in, it's a piece of polycarb that turned out wrong so I'm in the middle of detailing it and will eventually get it plated and use it for display purposes :)
th_DSCF2243.jpg

I also got the first piece of my Arms Race ODST yesterday:
th_DSCF2247.jpg th_DSCF2248.jpg
Took a while to track down a supplier over here but it was worth the wait, it's an awesome knife :)

LaughingCheese said:
Awesome job!

I assume you're going to mount the camera in the helmet or something?

Or did you state what it was for and I missed it? :D

I plan on having a lot of electronics on my armor ;)

Eventually I will mount it in there but for now I've had to change my plans... I'll post more about that next time I update but for now here's some pics I posted earlier of the camera in the helmet :)
Belakor said:
While I was out I picked up a small camera, the resolution isn't all that bad and it fit's in the helmet perfectly :D
th_IMG_0549.jpg th_IMG_0548.jpg

Geez Bela, amazing work! You're putting a ton of time and effort into your work! The results will be awesome! Is that a metal knife or a prop from the Arms race shorts?? Looks awesome! :D

Skullcandy Girl said:
Geez Bela, amazing work! You're putting a ton of time and effort into your work! The results will be awesome! Is that a metal knife or a prop from the Arms race shorts?? Looks awesome! :D

Thanks SC :) Probably too much time on this helmet, I started to work out how long I've been working on it but that thought started to scare me I'd say a minimum of 100 hours

That's a real steel Responder from Kershaw, I tried to track down any 'screen used' bits and pieces just before the stills of the ODST's were released (;)) but that went nowhere so real was the best alternative... though I won't have the real one on the armor if I'm out and about, the police wouldn't like me much if I had the real one with me :p

THATS AMAZING! :eek: I want to make one and show off on Bungie.net. Do u mind if i show off yours and link to the site? Don't worry I never take credit for something i didn't do. Im sure everyone would love this piece of awesomness like we do.
:not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy:

Spartan093 said:
THATS AMAZING! :eek: I want to make one and show off on Bungie.net. Do u mind if i show off yours and link to the site? Don't worry I never take credit for something i didn't do. Im sure everyone would love this piece of awesomness like we do.

Sure, feel free to post it over on Bnet, maybe post a link to the topic here just so I can find it if someone has questions... I had to wade through 30+ pages of threads to find it last time it was on Bnet :lol:

Edit: NVM just found it :) (Link) I wondered why there were 117 people viewing this topic a few minutes ago, pity I couldn't screenshot it in time.

Maybe post this link there just so they don't think you're reposting the old images
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'>http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=7557&view=findpost&p=134789</div>
I would do it myself but Bnet is going way too slow for me today o_O

thud!

im currently rollign on the floor like a dog..

edit: after i read primal weylands post... its now shortened sorry... oh and im goign to start makign the recon peps and after im done im goign to have it so i can remove it from the basic armor

Alright, that's it.

The next person I see having ridiculously long posts with very little actual content will be shot out of an airlock.

It's useless and only makes people have to scroll past the stupid amount of space there to read anything, and to be perfectly honest, it displays very little maturity. If you're in awe of someone's work and are speechless, say so. Don't waste space with useless scroll-space.

Damn it, someone else had a camera idea.

A while ago, I was thinking about playing paintball in armor like this, and how much it would suck if your faceplate got hit and either shattered (not too likely) or got painted over so you couldn't see. What I thought was that you could put a camera in somewhere and have a screen on the inside of the faceplate so you could see.

The only problems I can see with that are A. If you're playing paintball/airsoft and the lens gets hit, or B. massive headache from the screen being half an inch away from your nose.

Still great though.

I should have an armor update fairly soon (finished the boots, biceps, and a pep sword handle) but in the meantime I'll try and reply to some posts :)

RadioactiV777 said:
(sorry for long quote wii is hard on the net)
Just know that CB is way different and harder.

I do most of my prototyping out of CB so I've got a little experience but I've never tried anything as complex as armor so that'll be bit of a mission for me... though now that SKG and NZ-TK are doing the ODST pep files I shouldn't have to build the armor out of CB :)

Hackmandude12 said:
That is awesome! Can't wait 'till the whole armor is done!
SoullessSin said:
Nice Recon. Though im not a big fan of it but your work is godly compared to mine haha.
death said:
That looks amazing! God, I just can't wait until the spring. It just won't break 55 degrees here and I called the resin people and they said it needed to be at least that warm for the resin to cure. It is absolutely killing me to just sit around assembling paper! I want to do the semi dangerous/cool stuff with respirators and rubber gloves!!! I'm gonna do it in the driveway so when people go by and ask me, "What are you doing?" I can be like, "I'm working with fiberglass and body filler to create a Mjolnir mark 6 suit of "high tech" armor!" And they will think I am so cool! ...maybe lol
CtrlxAltxDel said:
ya i can't wait till spring either lol, i got alot of paper to fold to pass the time though

The Helmet looks Terrific, hope one of mine turns out at this Quality

Thanks everyone :)
Death, CtrlxAltxDel... pity it gets so cold over there, I don't think it ever gets cold enough to stop the resin curing here... year 'round building WOO!!!:lol:

damasterchief said:
thud!
im currently rollign on the floor like a dog..
edit: after i read primal weylands post... its now shortened sorry... oh and im goign to start makign the recon peps and after im done im goign to have it so i can remove it from the basic armor

Cool,, be sure to post some pics of perm pieces after you're done :) I've had to put all my pieces on hold until after I'm done with the basic stuff and I'm interested to see how others plan on attaching the chests and shoulders.

LiuAnXiang said:
Damn it, someone else had a camera idea.

A while ago, I was thinking about playing paintball in armor like this, and how much it would suck if your faceplate got hit and either shattered (not too likely) or got painted over so you couldn't see. What I thought was that you could put a camera in somewhere and have a screen on the inside of the faceplate so you could see.

The only problems I can see with that are A. If you're playing paintball/airsoft and the lens gets hit, or B. massive headache from the screen being half an inch away from your nose.

Still great though.

I've actually given a lot of thought to the idea of having a screen/hud instead of a visor and I think it would be reasonably easy to do provided you have enough money and/or can find something like the Sony Glasstron's. They're kinda pricey, between $600 and $2000 for a pair.
If I could find anything like them here I would probably gut them and fit the to the helmet :D

RadioactiV777 said:
How much does the camera cost?

Radio

Probably between US$15-$70 depending on where you get it, I paid approx US$80 for mine but that's because they're kinda expensive here and I bought locally.
If you do a search on ebay for "wired hidden camera" you can see a few going for less than $20.
You'll also need to find a recorder of some sort, I'm using an older DV cam (it's a little big but I think it will work for now)

I've actually given a lot of thought to the idea of having a screen/hud instead of a visor and I think it would be reasonably easy to do provided you have enough money and/or can find something like the Sony Glasstron's. They're kinda pricey, between $600 and $2000 for a pair.

True, someone really needs to come out with cheap stereoscopic glasses, it would make my job a lot easier. also more fun to play xbox with I reckon.

NZ-TK
they do make such a thing its called headplay, its a 52inch moniter on your head and its desighned to work with ipods, xbox, etc its like $500 though

What's the scale on the helmet? 5'11"?

Also:
How do I fit all the electronics in there?
How do you do that awesome paint?
It is so shiny? :)
What do you think the overall cost is?
Are they water proof?
Thanks in advance?

Here's some update pics, just the biceps for now, boots will be up in a while:
th_IMG_0946.jpg th_IMG_0950.jpg

Also started this last night :D
th_IMG_0972.jpg th_IMG_0970.jpg th_IMG_0971.jpg
(NZ-TK's ODST helmet scaled to 26cm)
Was actually much easier than I thought it would be, only took about eight hours from printing to being fully assembled... much easier and quicker than my Recon :eek:
There is some obvious warping and a few holes due to the fact that I decided to not do some of the smaller pieces but those will be fixed over the next few hours as I add supports :)

NZ-TK said:
True, someone really needs to come out with cheap stereoscopic glasses, it would make my job a lot easier. also more fun to play xbox with I reckon.

Yeah it would be pretty sweet to play the xbox with them :D

Sean Bradley said:
Second that. I saw them at ToysRUs for like $300 though.

Man, I wish we had stores like ToysRUs here, our toy stores have nothing as cool as that.
I also have a feeling that Oakley does a pair of stereoscopic glasses like the glasstrons... hate to think how much they would cost though (my regular Oakley's were $400 and have no electronics :cautious: )

cholo71796 said:
What's the scale on the helmet? 5'11"?

Also:
How do I fit all the electronics in there?
How do you do that awesome paint?
It is so shiny? :)
What do you think the overall cost is?
Are they water proof?
Thanks in advance?

Lots of questions... I'll do my best to answer them :)

A scale of 25 or 26cm should be good, I'm 5'11" and my helmet is about 24.5-25cm and that fits reasonably well but if I could I would up it slightly.

Depends on what kind of electronics you want to go with, there is a bit of room above the visor to store things like batteries and maybe a voice amp and you could possibly fit a couple of small fans in either cheek for ventilation. I've got a rather large blower type fan mounted above the visor , voice amp just behind that (which is just above my head), radio behind my head, camera to the left of my head, and batteries all over the place.

The paint was pretty straight forward, black base coat on top of the grey primer coat and some Tamiya TS-28 paint on top of that. I can go in to more detail when I get to repainting the helmet in the next few weeks.

It is relatively shiny but that's because I've done a lot of wetsanding, when I'm done with the final paint job it'll be coated in a matte clear coat to dull it all and I'll hit it with some weathering to make it look better.

Overall cost is probably more than I really want to think about :p Including electronics... maybe in the $300-$400 price range It's hard to know exactly how much everything is because I get most things in larger quantities :)

Once it's painted it would probably be fairly waterproof but there are holes in a few areas (vents and such) so it wouldn't really keep you dry.

Belakor said:
Was actually much easier than I thought it would be, only took about eight hours from printing to being fully assembled... much easier and quicker than my Recon :eek:

i think im going to steal your idea with the card board i just put in a fake visor.

IMG_2204.jpg

How did you get the sides to be so smooth? I use nztk models but that was when he first released it and i had a bunch of folds that you did not have

Belakor said:
Here's some update pics, just the biceps for now, boots will be up in a while:
th_IMG_0946.jpg th_IMG_0950.jpg

There is some obvious warping and a few holes due to the fact that I decided to not do some of the smaller pieces but those will be fixed over the next few hours as I add supports :)
Yeah it would be pretty sweet to play the xbox with them :D
Man, I wish we had stores like ToysRUs here, our toy stores have nothing as cool as that.
I also have a feeling that Oakley does a pair of stereoscopic glasses like the glasstrons... hate to think how much they would cost though (my regular Oakley's were $400 and have no electronics :cautious: )
Lots of questions... I'll do my best to answer them :)

A scale of 25 or 26cm should be good, I'm 5'11" and my helmet is about 24.5-25cm and that fits reasonably well but if I could I would up it slightly.

Depends on what kind of electronics you want to go with, there is a bit of room above the visor to store things like batteries and maybe a voice amp and you could possibly fit a couple of small fans in either cheek for ventilation. I've got a rather large blower type fan mounted above the visor , voice amp just behind that (which is just above my head), radio behind my head, camera to the left of my head, and batteries all over the place.

The paint was pretty straight forward, black base coat on top of the grey primer coat and some Tamiya TS-28 paint on top of that. I can go in to more detail when I get to repainting the helmet in the next few weeks.

It is relatively shiny but that's because I've done a lot of wetsanding, when I'm done with the final paint job it'll be coated in a matte clear coat to dull it all and I'll hit it with some weathering to make it look better.

Overall cost is probably more than I really want to think about :p Including electronics... maybe in the $300-$400 price range It's hard to know exactly how much everything is because I get most things in larger quantities :)

Once it's painted it would probably be fairly waterproof but there are holes in a few areas (vents and such) so it wouldn't really keep you dry.

Holy crap- thank you!

Belakor took the PDO and re-unfolded it, it looks like he changed the fold angle limit. Nice job, looks much easier, feel free to link people to it, it's much nicer than my unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back