Best Reflective chrome paint like this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehi

Jr Member
Hey Does anyone know what Kind of paint looks just like the chrome on this picture? Its amazing!! Explain if its more than just some paint please.

Cuz I think I want to make my iron man suit red and chrome like the portable suit in iron man 2.

4895297693_86f23e36b9_b.jpg

Does it really spray on and look like that? I've heard of "chrome spray paints" but they typically don't render mirror finish results like above. I thought the guys that made that IM helmet owned the curing chamber or whatever it's called to achieve a chrome effect?

No its not even mine, A guy bought the Official 1:1 Scale Iron Man Bust (in association with Stan Winston stuidos so its an exact replica of the helmet and neck) which costs about $700 and he moulded it and now sells fiberglass copies of it on ebay for about $200+ shipping. I kinda wana buy one from him.

here are some more pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/oncefoundfx

pretty sure that that is a massive breach of copyright. hopefully he gets a BIG fine soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Prepping the piece before painting is the key to the mirror finish. It needs to be super smooth like glass. Spraying a high-gloss base coat in black or gray (yellow, orange or red for a gold finish) will help, but I would practice on something that I wouldn't mind throwing out.

Does it really spray on and look like that? I've heard of "chrome spray paints" but they typically don't render mirror finish results like above. I thought the guys that made that IM helmet owned the curing chamber or whatever it's called to achieve a chrome effect?
The trick to making a reflective metalic finish is to apply a high gloss clear coat to it. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to buy a super expensive paint with an air blow application thingy. You have to use the tools at hand, like Taco Bell and their burritos.
We can achieve that pretty chrome look by getting some Krylon or Rust Oleum "chrome" paint and some high gloss clear coat. I believe both of those brands sell it. But yeah, just put it over there and it will accent the already metallic look.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to buy a super expensive paint with an air blow application thingy. We can achieve that pretty chrome look by getting some Krylon or Rust Oleum "chrome" paint and some high gloss clear coat..
that is so true buddy...

check my work with NO NAME chrome paint, the secret lies in the prep...

first start with a good spray chrome paint(good reflectivity for the money)
Spray can chrome paint(NO NAME but good)
6b716e115430489.jpg

super gloss black base coat(single stage automotive Urethane)
ac1f39115430468.jpg

chrome painted spoons after 1 day(needs 1 week of curing because its an enamel)
50b840115608068.jpg

ee2bde115608066.jpg

fully cured after 2 weeks
b9a501116159367.jpg

ec01ac116159378.jpg

again the secret its on the prep..a good automotive SS urethane automotive base coat needs to be used...

Thanks for the info NicaMarvin.
I'm looking to get some chrome paints for my Ironman Helmet myself when I have it all resin/fibreglassed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back