Best Way To Pack Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

I have a simple enough question whats the best way to pack armor up for traveling on greyhound or by plane? I am thinking of getting the biggest rubbermaid tote that I can find that I can pack all of my Mark VI armor into it to travel on Greyhound but I wanted to find out if anyone esle has done this or has a better idea to pack a full suit into one container for traveling on a bus or plane. MY only thoughts is to either use a big rubbermaid tote or a big cardboard box but I'd rather not use the box and I hope someone else has better ideas.

Well, when I ship stuff out I normally get a box that offers an extra 2-3" of room for the piece on all sides. I then wrap each individual piece in bubble wrap, and fill the rest of the box with crunched up newspaper. If you close the box, and you shake it and you hear something bouncing around, thats not good. If the armour part(s) are not moving at all, and are well-padded and protected, everything should go fine.

im a nut for safety and not haveing any equiptment broken during the trip... so i usually make a wooden box with handles and a top with hinges and 2 locks. then i head to my local foam shop and buy alot of foam.... i usually get black foam but its preference and price. really.. then i take the back peice of the armor cut out sections in the foam so the back would fit.. i usually use heated wire for the cutting but knifes and what not can work too. afterwards i place the back peice in and make a foam inlet for the interrior of the chest.. then i lay either the gantlets or the boots in the chest... then make a foam thing on top of that again and the the chest front and then more foam. tada... once everythings in place it doesnt move.. but thats just how ive done it in the past..

picture examples

for tools

Pelican_w_foam_001.jpg

for your mac

imcruzer.jpg

music... looks like something for armor in a way

MedtronicLoanerCase.jpg

trophy

trophylarge.jpg

it all can be done it just takes time... so yea i know alot of people here do just use large containers.. but as i said before im a saftey and protection of my stuff nut when it comes to shipping... heck i wont even ship a broken computer part anywhere without foam.

Hmm I see that blue box and I'm thinking I may be able to use one that I have that closes down the middle at the top and locks I got it from the post office a while back, I might be able to use that and fill it with faom and the parts. So you get a good idea of what I am trying to do I want to pack everything nice and neat into one package but I think Greyhound the package can only be 62" in any direction for traveling otherwise they charge extra.

62 inches eh.. so how much in feet and inches.. is that lienghth ow width or height.. what is the exact size preferences. L x W x H

ahh i see i see... ok diagram time!! photoshop where are you....

2 minutes later

ok so no photoshop but illustrator.. and too lazy to actually draw everything out. so heres a cut down version of placements. change the size dimentions to your needs so 3ft wide 4-5 ft long and 2-3 ft high should do it

[attachment=14970:package.JPG]

no problem packing the armor is the easy part. makeing the parts from pep to final thats the hard part. good luck.. if you do pack it up like ive sugested drop me some pictures i'd like to see how you set yours up.

If you really want to go all out... buy a Pelican case http://www.pelican.com/ Military uses these and they have actually survived bomb blasts, tsunamis, c4, surrounded by seawater for 12 days, and being run over - all the contents inside were just fine.

Cheers,

Kensai

If you go to your local Walmart, they have action packers meant for exactly this sort of thing. My dad and I use them when traveling to places like Indonesia, they are a great size and take one heck of a beating. If you add in the foam, it should do you just fine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-48-Gallon-Action-Packer/10569596

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Contico-Storage-Locker/2476189

I prefer the second one. They really are great, even if you have to use two. If you fly they work also. They are much better than the other rubber totes. Having the wheels, handles and locking option really helps. Thats my two bits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back