1st Build Biskt's Halo Infinite Chief Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Printer Arrived!
Just been printing test prints, pretty happy with them so far, I might try printing a magnum while I work on the armour.

In regards to the sharing the files, I may put the printable ones up for sale once they're complete. I'm not sure if I'll model the helmet, there seems to be a few good ones out there already, we'll see.

View attachment 292747
Where will you be selling them. If you can, could you leave a link?

Printer Arrived!
Just been printing test prints, pretty happy with them so far, I might try printing a magnum while I work on the armour.

In regards to the sharing the files, I may put the printable ones up for sale once they're complete. I'm not sure if I'll model the helmet, there seems to be a few good ones out there already, we'll see.

View attachment 292747
Could you post the link to the place you’re selling them?

Made a little progress, I've figured out the pipeline for getting my models into a printable state. Made the handplate to use as a test, which i printed at 0.25 layer height (0.4mm nozzle,) below is the result.

I figured I'd put the file up for free too if anyone wants a nice handplate model, I've attached it to this post.

The file is pretty much raw export from Zbrush so it's scale is wildly off, CURA imported it at 10,000x scale by default, just something to be aware of, it is however scaled to me (just factored down by 10,000 :lol:,) so it'd fit you if you're around 6'4, you may want to make it smaller/larger to fit.
If any of you guys do print it, please let me know if you have any feedback on how the model prints.

33.PNG

36.jpg
37.jpg

Attachments

• Biskt_Chief_Handplate.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 170
i assume it looks rougher in the pics than it is? otherwise, have fun sanding XD

the moddeling aspect is astoneshing though. (rushes back to his own pile of work)

Made a little progress, I've figured out the pipeline for getting my models into a printable state. Made the handplate to use as a test, which i printed at 0.25 layer height (0.4mm nozzle,) below is the result.

I figured I'd put the file up for free too if anyone wants a nice handplate model, I've attached it to this post.

The file is pretty much raw export from Zbrush so it's scale is wildly off, CURA imported it at 10,000x scale by default, just something to be aware of, it is however scaled to me (just factored down by 10,000 :lol:,) so it'd fit you if you're around 6'4, you may want to make it smaller/larger to fit.
If any of you guys do print it, please let me know if you have any feedback on how the model prints.

View attachment 301213
View attachment 301215View attachment 301216
Looks great. I’ll try printing it soon when I have time. I suppose it’ll look smoother if you print the piece vertically

Thanks guys,

Hein B287 It looks worse in the pics yeah, I don't mind filling and sanding a bit at all, just those interior parts are a pain!
I'm realising I'll definitely have to consider which faces are pointing which way when slicing and prioritise/balance that with print time/layer height. However this is a test of the 'lower' resolution I plan to use for the simple but large parts I don't want to spend multiple days printing lol, I plan to break out the detailed parts as separate chunks I can print at a higher res and slot in.

MasterChief7117 Last time I printed something vertically it fell over :( I'm confident I've got bed adhesion figured out but for once I wanted to not wake up to a plate of spaghetti ;) If you do end up printing I'd love to see what it looks like printed at a higher res!

I'm not sure if I'll model the helmet, there seems to be a few good ones out there already, we'll see.
have you reconsidered doing the helmet at all? I feel like I've looked at all the current infinite chief helmet files that can be found and none of them seem to be close enough. With the level of detail your putting into the chest I think you have potential to model the best helmet yet, and i would definitely pay for files whenever your able to get around to figuring that out. Hopefully we can see another update soon?

have you reconsidered doing the helmet at all? I feel like I've looked at all the current infinite chief helmet files that can be found and none of them seem to be close enough. With the level of detail your putting into the chest I think you have potential to model the best helmet yet, and i would definitely pay for files whenever your able to get around to figuring that out. Hopefully we can see another update soon?
I *might* model the helmet, but honestly it's just that the time required to model, print and clean it up for myself myself adds a lot more on top, and I choose to divide my time between a lot of different art projects. -on top of that I know if I buy a cast for myself they're often sold with a visor, and as I don't have the space for a vac-former etc to make one myself that's the better option, not to mention there are already a couple good buckets out there and I can support another member of the community by buying one.
-TLDR: never say never, but currently I'm planning to buy a helm so no need to model one.

Anyway, yesterday I finished another art project I'd been working on in my spare time since January, and with that all tied up and the Easter break on my hands I managed to do a bit of modelling on the chief suit. I just pumped out an easy piece today: the shoulder pad, gonna try printing it over the next few days provided I have enough plastic on hand.

Here they are, with wireframes, in case you like to see that kind of thing.

I'll probably coat the inner shape with either a textured paint or try and wrap it in some stretchy faux leather I bought, and then perhaps add additional padding or clipping to that inset once I have the undersuit figured out.

38.png

39.png

40.PNG

Started the bicep today, got most of it blocked out, after that it's just a case of adding control loops and smoothing it.

41.PNG

Really need to finish the torso, but it's a beast and there's a bunch of parts/details I still need to make work/figure out.

42.PNG

Started printing the shoulder, I'm pretty sure the scale for this should be correct, so I'm not fussed about waiting for the rest of the suit to be modelled first.

1617659314848.png

On another note, has anyone successfully magnetised a Pistol sized weapon to their thigh? Any details on how? what size magnets etc?

Sounds like you need a random YouTube tutorial!
Thanks dude!

On a similar note - I've been working up the bicep. I want most of the armour sections to be two parts and magnetized, As this makes it easier to wear and I can add additional strapping/elastic to one of the parts around the limb, and then have the other half just clip on over the top. I've ordered some 4mmx3mm magnets and I'm now just figuring out how many i can fit on the part. I'll probably also do a quick test print of the magnet socket, as I want to try and get the tolerance so that the magnet should be held in by friction (although I will be gluing them in too)

For much larger/stronger magnets like what I plan to use in the pistol and holster, I should be able to create a cavity with at least a few mm of print material above the magnet, so that they won't be visible/exposed.

44.PNG
43.PNG

The shoulder finished printing, overall pretty happy with this resolution and the result. I think I could have gotten away with a smaller infill though, and some of my supports came out really really strong, makes me wonder if i can get away with much less material in the supports at least. I think they're at 15% right now

1617814776337.png
1617814899749.png

Last edited:
Started the bicep today, got most of it blocked out, after that it's just a case of adding control loops and smoothing it.

View attachment 304919

Really need to finish the torso, but it's a beast and there's a bunch of parts/details I still need to make work/figure out.

View attachment 304920

Started printing the shoulder, I'm pretty sure the scale for this should be correct, so I'm not fussed about waiting for the rest of the suit to be modelled first.

View attachment 304921

On another note, has anyone successfully magnetised a Pistol sized weapon to their thigh? Any details on how? what size magnets etc?
I was able to magnetize my Magnum pistol to my ODST upper thigh using rare earth magnets. I paid a pretty penny but I grabbed four 3x3 inch neodymium magnets, and placed two each inside the thigh piece and two inside the magnum, spread out about 4 inches from each other. I used opposite polarities for each pair and made sure the magnum’s magnets were facing the appropriate way and it is snug on there. Tried some from Amazon and they were not magnetizing enough, so I went to an industrial website and got some that were rated to hold 36lbs each. Paid about $5 per magnet, but it was well worth it. Had to compensate the force as they aren’t magnet to magnet with the prop having the magnets inside, and the thigh piece having the magnets on the inside. But as long as you Mount the magnets on the flattest surfaces on your armour and prop, it should be secure. If not, go higher in the force rating for the load the magnet can take (40lbs+). Should work pretty good. I used magnets on a lot of my Halo 3 ODST build to give the modular look without having Velcro and straps strewn all over the armour.

PSA: watch your fingers with the magnets, and slide them off from each other or you’ll get about 36 lbs of force slamming and pinching your hands/fingers. I’m sure you can imagine how I know this. Already knew about the safety aspect of industrial magnets, but didn’t realize they magnetize from a lot further distance than I presumed. Had one in my hand, and was trying to mount one for fitment in my thigh armour, and it started to pull one from the table as I passed my hand over it and it slammed upward into my fingers. Felt great. But if you do use magnets, preplan distance from the other magnets, know where they’re going to go, draw an outline if need be, and install ONE magnet at a time, and make sure it’s cemented/glued/mounted fully before attempting to place another. They will yank out easily, especially highly rated ones. I’d even make sure once they’re mounted, that they are covered with something else to make sure they don’t fall out or get magnetized on accident from anything metal, and dislodged from their mounting position.
111258FD-8C96-48D7-868E-FC4B1BE18C64.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the Info Wolf, helpful stuff, I appreciate it!

More progress on the bicep, just the inside and some pinching to sort out and this one should be ready to go, although I'm also going to add some sockets for magnets.

I've opted for 4mmx3mm magnets, and plan to dot a bunch of them along the meeting points of the two pieces. These won't be the only way the two parts are secured, I'll use elastic and clips too, so there's no risk of the part getting knocked off. -But it enables me to conceal strapping within the armour parts, which I can tighten/secure when I put the suit on, then snap the panel closed on top.

45.PNG

46.PNG

I did some test prints of some housings for the magnets just to check tolerances, I will use glue but ideally I'd like them to be held in place by friction as well.
As expected, 0 was too small, 2 too big, and 1 was just right!

1618003133520.png

Got the bicep all printed up!
Really happy with the scaling so far, I think I'll have to be careful with the chest though as I'm quite broad... we'll see.

1618517657378.png

1618517703441.png

1618517899895.png

Naturally after my tests for the magnet mounts I didn't factor in I might be printing the pieces at odd angles, so many of the magnet holes are just a tiny bit too tight. I'm gonna dig around in my toolbox for a file dremel bit and see if I can't widen the holes just slightly.

Other than that the prints came out pretty clean. I'll sort the forearm next I think and then maybe take a look at the legs or chest again.

Thanks for looking!

CANT WAIT TO SEE IT FINISHED!!!!! amazing work! I'm currently trying to do this using the infinite files from Thingaverse so we'll see what happens there!

Fitted the magnets into the bicep this weekend, they work great, hold in really strong, but not too much that the piece cant be pulled free. It's 36 4x3mm magnets in total (18 each side)

Magnets_01.gif

I also started the forearm, not much to show yet, but this is what I have so far:

51.PNG

Modeling those magnets in like that came out super clean. It’ll be an awesome suit if you continue to put in this type of thought and effort. Great work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back