Blog section flooded with spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

dung0beetle

I browsed the blog section today, and found tons of spam. I'm about to go through and report them all, but would it be possible to put some sort of security (captcha maybe?) up so these guys don't eat up the site bandwidth/storage?

This is a lot of spam on the blog section and I report it. It also doesn't seem like a lot of people actually view the blog portion of this site.

I think the blog section should just be cut off, it will take care of the spam problem and encourage posting more in the forum. Curse not much seems to be happening aroudn here these days with improving the site. I know if I was given permission to remove and clean up the site I could do it all in 24 hours or less but that's not going to happen, and I already know why it's not going to happen.

Personally I like the way blog is set up. I like how you can just see all the main posts and people can comment instead of fishing through threads for the main posts with pictures. But yea I'm trying to revive my thread from a way back. The blogs don't get that much traffic and I'd love to hear what people think!

I wish something could be done!!

Went through just now and deleted 45 entries and banned 8 spambots.

I like the blogs too but I feel they would be best used for tutorials and 'Con event notices rather than costume updates.

Captcha would be good and it's free. (Though personally even I can't read a couple of their weird words, lol.)

I like the blogs too but I feel they would be best used for tutorials and 'Con event notices rather than costume updates.

Maybe it's just me, but aren't the blogs a little redundant if people are allowed to make W.I.P. threads? I guess I just haven't found anything to blog about that I wouldn't just put in a build thread or separate thread in itself.

Hmm...blog section FLOOD-ed with spam, eh? Perhaps the creation of seven weapon ring-worlds and one mega-monolithic triggering ark super-structure could help stem the spread of this flood.

I don't have much experience with the blog section since it seems easier to access what's going on with the site via the 'what's new' link. When I have checked it out it does seem littered with phony blogs which serves to direct me back to looking at threads instead. Maybe I'll spend some time sifting through it to check out builds that users haven't started threads about.

Its all or the spambots. They just go about with their horrible virus worms and create accounts on websites their companies have targeted. Heres how we fix them. Its barely legal, but what we can do is get the spambots to buy stuff. We can sell anything, Heck sell a box of cereal for $5,000. If we can somehow put up a link to the "spam bait? as we will call it" we can make it buy that to create an account. Then the big cell phone company removes our site from their advertising targets. The bad part is that the person selling the "spambot bait" could be subject to legal action and Ive only seen this done succesfully a few times, and only on high traffic popular websites that have awesome lawyers.

You know we could.... Or we could require more information and add some more "spamshields" like the thing where you have the box with letters and you have to type what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back