Bondo Help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie117

Well finally i am well rested and ready to build. Got my arm back and it's all good and actually got a new car too :D R.I.P Pontiac Firebird, thank's for saving my life from that accident!! :(. Anyway's i got a very serious question about mr bondo. Ok once you resin the helmet and apply bondo and wait for it to cure it, When you sand it down to make it smooth and less polygonal. How do you add detail's? For example mmmm i think he's name is stony props i dunno correct me if am wrong but he took a low def halo 4 spartan helmet ( the red one ) and when he finished it it looked hd. How do you do that??? Do you put like a big chunk or little chunk of bondo and sculp the detail right in or how??

Oh wow thanks!!! About the foamies , wouldnt they fall off?? Because where i live is extremely difficult to get something to cast the helmet so i have a completly new helmet with hard details instead of having one with foami details that eventually will peel off. Or what can you put so they can stay there?? Resin ? Cause crazy glue aint going to work that much. It has to be something strong

Oh wow thanks!!! About the foamies , wouldnt they fall off?? Because where i live is extremely difficult to get something to cast the helmet so i have a completly new helmet with hard details instead of having one with foami details that eventually will peel off. Or what can you put so they can stay there?? Resin ? Cause crazy glue aint going to work that much. It has to be something strong

If you're planning on building the helmet without the intention of casting, then rather than foamies, you could use mat board. Take a look at the details in my build (link in my signature), they were all done with 1/16" mat board found in picture framing sections of hobby stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Mat board details can be attached with either hot glue (though I wouldn't recommend hot gluing onto smooth bondo) or epoxy (a much better solution). After they're attached, I would brush a light coat of resin, so they sand and paint the same way as the rest of the resined/bondoed piece.

I had doubts with foamies at first. But Sir Tsaboc's build answered my concerns. He is able to cast successfully using foamies. I did some casting and I know for a fact that Silicone mold would not eat into foamies.

Hot glue would not stick to bondo surface directly, but on the helmet that I finished, I used hot glue and the foam stayed in place. I would not use resin because resin will melt foam. I used crazy glue to glue the foam inside the helmet, and it worked very well too. The foam sticks and no chemical smell at all. Hope that helps.

Look around for a lady named Sarah, she did some bondo molding with the use of playing cards... like creating a little well in certain places. Loots pretty cool... I'll post an edit if I find the link.

Well since resin will eat foamies then ill wait until is hard and cured then place the foamies, apply bondo around the foamies and sand then prime and paint? Does resin also eats matboard???

Mat board it is lol do they sell that on walmart or home depot?? And is there a specific brand or there all the same? I dont have hobby lobby or michael stores where i live

I've never seen it at walmart. Look around where you live for a place that custom-frames pictures/paintings. Matboard is used as a border between the edges of the picture and the frame itself and places that do framing should have mat board in stock. Where about do you live? That could help in finding a place where you could go.

I tried resin over foamie and it works fine (resin didn't melt the foamie) but I hate some uneven serfaces that resin left on the details and I couldn't sand them down.

ohhh ok hmmm too many options hmmm ill trye with a little piece of foamie and resin and see the results if it melts or not as for those chunks of resin standing out that cant be sanded well ill try too put very very little resin on top of them or cover them with a tape and put resin on it so when sanding it only gets the tape and doesnt reach the foamie i dunno . something has to work though lol. i got a question. what is that infantryman thing under my username lol i havent finished my armor all ive done is screwed over and over and over again . why they put that there?? i though that was suppouse to be for people who finished armor ??

No, it designates members who have submitted 100 useful posts and have been forum members for over 90 days. It's an automatic process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back