Brute Spiker Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they are housed inside the barrels as well as the side panels. They light up the same as the in game versions.

See, now carrying THAT around would attract attention.

Not only does it look like a gun, you could actually stab with it.

Nice.
Stay away from me :p

The metal blades are a bit over the top. I might use plastic on the next ones with an option for the metal ones. Or possibly a template for them so that people could put what ever they want on it. I have been slacking off on version 2 but it is making slow progress. Look for updated pics soon.

Aw, come on. You worry about things like darkness of color, and then decide not to use metal on the blades.

Shame. :p still better than anything I could do, though.

The tips are the only part that are slightly dangerous. The blade were not sharpened enough the slice you. I left them pretty course because it looked good that way and it cuts down on the safety concerns. They do screw right off so if someone wanted it sharper they could do it.

Why are you going crazy damasterchief?

I have been slacking on this one, I got side tracked with a few other projects. One is Bioshock related and the other is Portal related. I am back on track with the Spiker now. I just ordered my leds and I am looking for a switch for them. Its amazing how expensive leds are at radio shack, I can get about 100 of them shipped from china for the price of 2 at the shack and yes I have used them before and quality is very good.

im goign crazy because i will never be able to make one of those... well as good of detail as you... :p also can you send me or post the link of the 100 leds for the price of 2 a the shack plz?

Ebay store for sureelectronics is were I bought the leds from. The last batch I got were great, no problems, fast shipping and exactly what I ordered. I have only used the smaller sizes. I have not recieved this order yet so no comments on it so far. You can find all kinds of led suppliers on ebay but just remember buyer beware.

Wait till you see the detail on version 2. Thats one reason its taking awile.

[attachment=2924:IMG_1104.jpg]My leds have arrived and work has progressed, most of the wiring is done. The 100 leds I bought from ebay were great. The packaging was unbelievable(GREAT). This companys products have been really great so far. I still need to find a good pushbutton to install in the trigger. I am having a hard time finding one that fits and is not a momentary contact. I want the trigger to be the on and off switch. The last one was spring loaded but didnt operate the lights. I would like to add this feature but I have not found what I need yet.
I have some small sculpting left to do as well. The back half of the reciever where it meets the handle is a pain to do. I cant seem to work wood into the shape I need, so I will sculpt it instead.
I decided to stick with metal blades all around. See the pic below of the handle blade. I just bought a new scroll saw and it cuts the aluminum alot better that my other saw.

smick6 said:
My leds have arrived and work has progressed, most of the wiring is done. The 100 leds I bought from ebay were great. The packaging was unbelievable(GREAT).

Who are they? Link?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned them a couple replies back. You can find them on ebay the seller is sure-electronics. They have alot of leds and other electronics. I have only used their small 5mm leds and they are worth the $10.00 for 100 of them with resistors. Shipping was also included from overseas.

http://stores.ebay.com/Sure-Electronics

that spiker is amazing. I'm always impressed with what you guys can do, cuz I have like no artistic ability. I can do the nuts and bolts part, but molding and shaping...... not so much

I have a question about molding / casting. See the pictures below. Can this piece be molded and cast without having to cut it in half? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Making these by hand is to time consuming so I am looking into doing some cast versions when its 100 percent ready, this is still a work in progress.

Alot of people asked me about how I built the front part, now you can see it below. There are 8 pieces cut to the appropriate angles then the grooves are cut down the 2 sides. The front angles are then cut. Once everything is cut it all gets glued and clamped together and then details are added when its dry. The vent type parts for the front are seperate pieces also, they will be glued to the large blank white area. I have a few sets of the front parts cut as well as the main handle so I might offer them to people.

[attachment=3087:0219082219.jpg] [attachment=3088:0219082219b.jpg] [attachment=3089:0219082220.jpg] [attachment=3091:0219082220a.jpg]

id totally be down for diy kits, so that we can assemble and detail them. sign me up for 2 if you decide to do it.

looks amazing so far

I don't have a ton molding experience but this is a pretty simple fix. Close off the flat end opening (back end) with a piece of cardboard, then make a one piece mold of the part. You should be able to have a mold then with one open end that you can pour the resin into and slush cast some pieces.

This is looking great BTW!

EDIT: Sean's right, I wasn't thinking. This method would only work with a silicone mold and two part shell mold that you intend to slush cast with.

I am still a molding n00b myself.

Can this piece be molded and cast without having to cut it in half?

Yes, it can be, but a more important issue is how do you intend to cast it? are you aiming for a poured mold? Slush-cast? What materials do you intend to use? Urethane?

I can tell you exactly how I would cast that, but I need to know more about what you expect from the mold before I can send you in a direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about closing the back end like you suggested sigma and possibly closing off a portion in the front and having another piece with the barrels to slip into it after its been cast and then cut open. This will be my first attempt at molding and casting anything this big. I have only messed around with small things. I have to admit I have not done enough research on this part of the project yet. I am slacking. I also have most of the main body done as well and that will also need to be molded and cast. I will post some pics soon. Any suggestions would be great. I have no preference for the type of material or way to mold it. I am looking to produce some kits for people that may be interested in them. I will be researching this alot more before I start that part but any ideas will be taken into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back