Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by Sandbagger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

MASSIVE DAY! I decided that, while the canons I have turned on the lathe look OK, they are not great. So, my friend Myles, who runs a furniture designing business and workshop, offered me a professional solution.

I spent most of today with him, watching and helping with my jaw on the ground as to the processes involved in high-end woodworking. The cuts are so sharp! The surfaces so flat! The angles so precise! Wow!

For the coopering, we started with rough timber, planed, then kerfed and thicknessed. Myles knows his stuff about tensions in the grains releasing as you cut it, causing bends and twists, so we did everything in increments as we cut, adjusting where needed when something bowed.

We calculated two different diameters and thicknesses, one for the rear of the cannons and one for the front. We got as far as biscuit joining them all together, to be glued later for turning.

I shot a heap of video, but as I am currently studying video editing, I will hold off posting the clips until I can present them all nicely in a canon-build video. I think it deserves it.

S5YgIbD.jpg

VqQrMQL.jpg

QDVlvMR.jpg

VdtDXEQ.jpg

o6Lkmfn.jpg

NQQorCH.jpg

BSGwB7f.jpg

DKUaF7s.jpg

hPt9Kfq.jpg

9hRK629.jpg

gheiRfm.jpg

irhP0jY.jpg

6L0KdEw.jpg

2. Sandbagger

Another big day in a pro woodworking studio, building 30mm mass accelerator cannons for the Viper. Glue-up day. We placed spacer blocks inside first, to centre our support pipe.

We also made driver blocks to attach to the lathe on the faceplate and the live centre on the tail stock.

mBYmQgd.jpg

TnbL1ll.jpg

T3oma6M.jpg

6Frj8iS.jpg

xYhAVLh.jpg

YYHMG2Q.jpg

T6Ee3wp.jpg

GjwQOcf.jpg

OQojdq5.jpg

EDVfJbe.jpg

3. Sandbagger

Making the Mk II 30mm mass accelerator cannons has been challenging. Keeping it light, but accurate and tough, as well as not too expensive. My friend Myles and I, finished coopering the pine sections together to form hollow tubes of the correct internal and external diameters to keep it light but give us enough material to lathe in the details.

Today I started turning the front half of the first cannon.

YRhQvE8.jpg

m0xirTF.jpg

4. Sandbagger

Front half of first mass accelerator cannon turned to size and sanded silky smooth!

Fe8P8Ga.jpg

QCSj3M0.jpg

i4ck7HD.jpg

d7VT8Wb.jpg

5. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Keeper of Con Lists Community Staff

Massive piece-o-wood!!!!

6. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

For a second or two I thought those ridges towards the top were massive screw threads! Very nice. Makes me wanna figure out how to setup my shopsmith as a lathe.

7. Sandbagger

Started on the next one. I'll do both front ends first, change arbours the do the back ends.

lAlLuAo.jpg

In the mean-time at home, I'm working on the engine exhausts and the internal turbines.

6U5MDzg.jpg

Stack of engine exhaust rings, ready to assemble the turkey feathers on.

E1Zip74.jpg

8. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Go Baz, go!

Baz! Baz! Baz! Baz!

Dirtdives likes this.
  9. Sandbagger

Thanks for the pep Sean! :D

I've been working on concurrent activities all over the ship, but while some things are on hold, waiting for the right moment/planets to align,. my workbench at home has the engine exhausts on the go.

I toyed with roll-forming steel rings to make a cage, but the hollow section profiles proved problematic at best, so I have gone back to wood.

Here's the top engine exhaust under construction.

bCvOZ6o.jpg

hVSjQ8S.jpg

64Q2jw3.jpg

10. Sandbagger

After working on the spacing a little, I ran out of reasonable hours to keep making noise, so I started planning out the turbine fans in aluminium plate.

JjBWg5L.jpg

1Mj4qkT.jpg

ZMeiCGS.jpg

983VZFA.jpg

m7n1wDd.jpg

3PZzmd8.jpg

sURXVcm.jpg

11. Sandbagger

Today was a good mix of the engine work and a little trip out to Myles' place to finish turning the cannons. I brought the barrel ends home tonight with a couple of borers, to drill them out to 30mm as per the ammunition calibre.

Back in the shed tonight and continued on the engine turkey feathers, than a bit of sheetmetal cutting to make the turbine fans.

LNGLePB.jpg

ven9m9D.jpg

kWuhfPp.jpg

gugRWVh.jpg

nvKJ1yA.jpg

12. Sandbagger

After work this afternoon, I returned to Myles’s workshop to finish gluing up the cannons. Myles had a few nice little tips and tricks that made things go smoother, plus because of his earlier precision, I was able to use the octagonal arbours we made to fill the end of the guns and centre and seat the barrel. Not shown, I dowelled the octagons and removed the screw. Myles suggested that I might want to bore the barrel end out later and the screw would get in the way. I agreed.

I spent all my earnings from a recent knife sale and bought paint and glue for the next few stages. Last night I stayed up until well after midnight to paint an engine exhaust and one of the guns.

sYK7HMA.jpg

gjza5dS.jpg

FBm7yyv.jpg

owaW8OA.jpg

EakeB75.jpg

SCbJ4Mu.jpg

UKrzCjh.jpg

OmYJ6RD.jpg

Full story on all builds on Builds by Baz

Dirtdives, xXDashIVXx, GMer56 and 2 others like this.
  13. mkshane81

mkshane81 Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome stuff Barry!

-Matt

14. Sandbagger

Thanks Matt. :D

Baz.

15. Sandbagger

Scratch-designing my turbines at the rear. I know I am taking a lot of licence inside these engines, especially after being so careful to stay faithful everywhere else... but something the X-Wing fighter on display last year, at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome showed me - is that some static displays suck.

Sure it LOOKED similar to the fighter from the movies, but close inspection revealed it to be flat, static, flimsy, rough molded and BORING. My engines will be multi layered, have depth and moving parts. Light, sound and motion.

Bear with me...

I have used a combination of lightweight and easy to source materials, sacrificing a little bit of weight for weldablility, as I can't weld aluminium to save my life, so I've used steel.

kYTBxL7.jpg

gOuhd4b.jpg

445U1Qo.jpg

JtBATWO.jpg

sycXzz9.jpg

RP79HXt.jpg

This last one has everything just sitting on top at the moment. Once assembled, it will be lower profile.

4JrAZ5G.jpg

16. Sandbagger

I finally got the welder going again today.

7iyc1jw.jpg

e4xIJ7B.jpg

B27Pow9.jpg

17. Sandbagger

I got it all in and spinning with 5mm clearance all around. Now to put the motor on it. I put the drill on the shaft and gave it a spin... CRIKEY! It puts out a fair breeze out the back!

It's nearly 2am, so time to go to bed and take this up in the morning.

bicCVfw.jpg

18. Dirtdives

2AM!?!?! And take it up in the morning????......do you even have a job? It just seams that this is all you do.....

Sean Anwalt and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  19. Sandbagger

I do have a job. Full time too. Raising three little kids too. This is why I am up all night, when else am I going to do it? :p

Baz.

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  20. Sandbagger

My one day per fortnight to get * done.

I spend most of the day re-configuring the shed and moving benches, building shelves and getting rid of rapidly accumulating scrap materials. Enough is enough.

I also solidified a big work bench and put it in the centre of the shed, comfortable work height, some space for projects and tooling and able to walk all around it, while still having access to the lathe and other parts of the shed. The beauty is, with a new flat surface on the top, (removable and replaceable), I can draw and measure stuff on it to get things flat, level, and correct. A nice touch was routing an extension cord over the rafters, to hang down directly over the work bench, so my power tools don't trail cords all over the workshop any more.

Finally, about 2 this afternoon, I got back to the Viper. I finished securing the internal workings of the top engine exhaust turbine and gave it a test spin.

After that, I started assembling one of the two side engine exhausts, but ran out of turkey feathers, so it was back to tracing templates. I'll take them to the bandsaw soon.

Finally, I started plotting the dimensions for the side engine rear turbines, ready to cut the spider vanes. Hopefully I can source another old aluminium sign to make the fans from, like the last one.

CSeKnc0.jpg

eGGO17p.jpg

l9Wxa2E.jpg

ZB15OYN.jpg

bkxg3rl.jpg

21. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

Apparently in the morning! XD

Lieutenant Jaku and Dirtdives like this.
  22. Dirtdives

Man...this thing is really going to fly.........So Baz......after the prototype, when can we expect this to hit consumer shelves? I want to start scouting for a location for a dealership from now. Gona corner the market and rule the world!!!!!! You won't mind....right?

23. Sean Anwalt

Dibs on leading dirtdives' second element!

Dirtdives likes this.
  24. Sandbagger

Had a big glue-up and got the rest of the main fuselage underside done, plus one full engine nacelle and part of the other. I've run out of glue for now, so next I'll be chiseling in the details into the cannons.

UYQLFNf.jpg

0hMX2O9.jpg

3iwAKoH.jpg

25. Sean Anwalt

Holy smokes, he's doing it! He's really doing it!

Haha everytime I see an update in this thread it makes me just a little bit happier! Looking fantastic. That's a LOT of works chiseling out all that detail!

xXDashIVXx likes this.