Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by Sandbagger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Schankerz

Schankerz Well-Known Member

It’s coming together so freakin awesome!!! I’m really looking forward to when you get to paint and decals, that’ll be really really cool.

They may be way way WAAAAYYY smaller but look sempai I built a Viper too! :D

69033498-E559-478B-BCB7-6C3BC605A84F.jpeg

2. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Keeper of Con Lists

WHAT? You don't have a tool that mechanically chisels out what you need removed? Like a router or something that could zip through cleanly? Or do you prefer holding the chisel while you take a pic of your arm?

3. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

I borrowed a router, but with the surfaces being curved and either a drop at one end, or a step preventing travel, the router is more trouble than it's worth.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. Sandbagger

I've had a few wonderful days home alone to work on the Viper. It's strange, I haven't uttered a word. I could get used to this.

Anyways, I went out to my work and spent a night on the bandsaw to cut all the turkey feathers for the other two engines. Much quicker and neater than my jigsaw, plus the belt grinders there have an extraction fan right next to them, so I sanded and shaped them all too. I can do this at home, but with no extraction, the dust is pretty unbearable.

izwlJ6h.jpg

Back at home, I've had a mad glue-up for nearly 24 hours. I had to keep going back to Bunnings for more glue, having underestimated how much I needed to do to finalise all the foam. That's all done now, so I started sanding the whole ship and engines with the orbital sander. Not comfortable under the tarp in temperatures in the high thirties, but I really want to take advantage of the time I have.

CzAlCJU.jpg

siepigF.jpg

Yi8zRMD.jpg

6mdIrBY.jpg

jAQ0m6o.jpg

GiqOvrc.jpg

2cXZBSH.jpg

i77RtAW.jpg

CAvXgAN.jpg

5. Sandbagger

Thanks for coming along for this crazy ride mate!

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. Dirtdives

Very disappointed.......I would have thought if any one could, you would create a jig to allow a router to run over a curved surface. ;)....I was thinking to myself...."How is he going to get this on a flatbed to bring to a con?" .....(which is a strange thing to be thinking to myself).....I know you will, but at this point it's a massive piece. I don't think you made a focal point to lift this w/ a crane. Or did you?

7. Sandbagger

Have you read any of the thread? I've mentioned several times that the ship is built in modular sections, for ease of transport and storage. Come on over to Facebook and join the build group there, I have a big list of FAQs there. Baz Arm

I thought about making a box-jig for the router, but it's more work than actually just carving with a chisel. Why are you very disappointed?

Baz.

Dirtdives likes this.
  8. Sandbagger

Cool! Wow, that's a tiny model.

9. Dirtdives

Sorry......I knew you were building it in modular sections......didn't recall that it could be broken down for transport and storage.....:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:..

10. Sandbagger

It's ok mate. But if you do it again, it's ten lashes over the nuts with a wet boot lace for you.

;)

11. Dirtdives

As if I don't get enough lashes from FANGS w/ her wet noodle!!!!!

eDcgCky.gif

12. Sandbagger

6 January 2019 build update.

13. Sandbagger

Mammoth week. I think I'll take a break now.

8sxZKy4.jpg

x9ytWJJ.jpg

14. Sandbagger

My thanks to the tireless efforts of a Facebook friend named Mat and his friend Daniel. Mat has been looking out for a harness for the Viper pilot's seat. Arrived home today to find two harnesses waiting for me! Thanks gents!!

BIrKjj9.jpg

qI7QtyO.jpg

tillH3w.jpg

F27GTax.jpg

Weight reduction on 40x turkey feathers begins. That's 200 holes to drill.

6xHaBMT.jpg

15. Dirtdives

Looks like it's still Christmas in OZ.......

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  16. Sandbagger

Mounted the top engine exhaust module, then assembled and painted one of the side engine exhaust modules.

nedjpGQ.jpg

TChsE24.jpg

2xFruxi.jpg

ek5MDFf.jpg

17. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

I love that panoramic shot: can really get a sense of how massive it is.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it painted!

xXDashIVXx likes this.