Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by Sandbagger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

Thanks Mysterythetiger

Flipped the top engine nacelle over on it's back to fill in the forms underneath. By crikey this polystyrene makes for a very solid shell, once it's all glued together!

EaLD7y7.jpg

eTe3DjC.jpg

nKqnGku.jpg

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  2. Sandbagger

A quick walk along the fuselage to the shed where the top engine nacelle is under construction.

3. Sandbagger

YeeeHAARRR!!!! FINALLY! One set of Viper pilot shoes. Right colour, right size, right price. Found in Australia for $120AU free postage. One happy Baz. One less item to find. Starting to wrap up on all the bits now. All I've got to find is the gloves and 5-point seat belt harness.

FY3TllI.jpg

4. Sandbagger

Installed earth magnets into the neck-seal to close it and cut padding to size. Gotta get some silver fabric to wrap the padding in. Fourth photo is the prop from the show. That's what I'm aiming for.

kkej3nM.jpg

U3LfKPQ.jpg

t8E5r1r.jpg

jAyiFV3.jpg

5. Sandbagger

This afternoon I ran the new orbital sander over the top engine nacelle, with a 40-grit pad. Wow! This thing does an awesome job!

AotZP9P.jpg

6. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

Sander is just a tool.....you're the one doing the awesome job!!!!

Lieutenant Jaku and Sean Anwalt like this.
  7. Sandbagger

Thanks for the encouragement mate. :D

Outside surfaces all shaped and sanded. Inside of intake also. Some preliminary detailing next. Love this little orbital sander.

aVK5Led.jpg

wQbgvzd.jpg

Kmetx4g.jpg

8. Sandbagger

"Turkey feathers". These are the parts around the exhaust cone that can contract by overlaying to reduce the aperture and increase thrust.

3wE9Tj9.jpg

First one plotted out. I have no real dimensions on this. I judged the thickness of each based on recognisable objects in some photos. I can adjust as i go. Roughly 20 per engine.

nivAQVC.jpg

MoTpZyr.jpg

One turkey feather to completion. Primer grey, aluminium silver overcoat, light spray of black over the top for that burnt, carbon-scored look.

Wp5lI0y.jpg

Mass production begins.

AbE868z.jpg

I have lots of concurrent activities going on now to make the most of any spare time I have.

While I am working on the exhaust cone outers and their interior turbine assemblies, I will also be continuing to skin the rest of the Viper and start installing all the ports for the reaction control system, (RCS). These mini thrusters are positioned around the spacecraft to provide attitude control in space. Aerodynamics there obviously does not apply but instead, Newtonian physics takes over. RCS can help by, "pointing" the craft in the desired direction while thrust rearward is applied. To reverse direction, thrust is cut, RCS flips/inverts the craft, then thrust is re-applied in the opposite direction to slow down, stop, or power into a new direction.

One of the reasons I really like this sci-fi ship, is because of this reasonably scientific application of space flight, instead of flying around in curves like you see in other shows. No more force-fields, beaming tech, lasers, or aliens. Bullets, bombs, missiles, nukes, armour plating and badass robots.

9. Sandbagger

I need 20 of these, "Turkey feathers", for each engine exhaust nozzle. By the time I've added a frame, lining and internal details it's starting to get pretty heavy. The box-full you see below is enough for one nozzle, each feather comprising three shaped layers of plywood. To reduce weight, I've cut material out of the bottom layer with a hole saw. It's made a big difference.

zFiSyI4.jpg

ormPTw1.jpg

T8dughA.jpg

hDASw7j.jpg

YtCUhXU.jpg

I've moved the top engine nacelle out of the workshop and next to the Viper so that I can work on the rear exhaust and get my workshop back. I had to keep climbing under it to move around my workbenches.

TShqmfS.jpg

Tonight I continued skinning the engines with recycled polystyrene produce boxes.

rFkqCYC.jpg

10. Sandbagger

Demolitions begin. Making way for the Viper's top engine and tail - and later removal to make way for two new rooms.

Wnzuiuo.jpg

Half the roof gone. I can put the top engine on now.

GpKHK8U.jpg

11. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku Well-Known Member

how will you get it out once you finish?

Dirtdives likes this.
  12. Sandbagger

It's built in modules. It all comes apart to be portable for compact storage and transport.

13. Mysterythetiger

Mysterythetiger New Member

These photos with the roof coming off... Kind of put things in perspective and scale. I, for one, never realised how HUGE this thing is. Get me all worked up just seeing the photos and this little voice in my head keep saying, "Think we could build something that big? It would be really cool you know..."
    Will you eventually skin this whole ship in fiber glas?

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  14. Sandbagger

Dirtdives and Mysterythetiger like this.
  15. Sandbagger

Welcome to the Taj Ma Baz. Now that the roof is off and the tarp is up, I was able to finish skinning the top of the Viper and put the top engine on. All the top and side surfaces are now skinned and glued, with a little skinning left on the bottom.

I also removed another saw-horse from under the Viper, leaving just one behind the rear undercarriage. I'll need a jack to lift the back end of the Viper to remove it.

Clo8qC8.jpg

fkMHFE2.jpg

n3lGNuY.jpg

pU7Z81Z.jpg

xRYaHTx.jpg

Jdu1qqt.jpg

k8LWWA6.jpg

XfzOc0m.jpg

16. Sandbagger

Turning the twin 30mm cannons. Experimenting with pine, section at a time. I'm turning the details on the outside to diameter, then boring out the inside to slide onto a pipe and save weight. Worth a shot while the materials are free and available. This wood is from the old posts on my patio roof I just pulled down for renovations.

I'd like to think it would work doing the whole thing in pine as it is cheap and readily available. If I can't get the biggest diameter, then the rest of the weapon will likely be a hybrid of materials to get the job done.

It's coming out surprisingly smooth and in good condition considering how old it is and that the ends of the posts are rotten.

Vh550xk.jpg

c6Ywx9h.jpg

AdFHLd5.jpg

WInlMhm.jpg

17. Sandbagger

Tonight's program, pre-cutting the polystyrene and fitting it into the underside, ready for a day of glue-up tomorrow. I'd like to get that all finished tomorrow so I can start on sanding the whole ship down.

Finished up about 1am.

EwUrNBl.jpg

VD5tAA7.jpg

GWzaWY1.jpg

Viper's-eye view of Baz, skinning underneath it.

RldTX5z.jpg

18. Sandbagger

Experimenting with some cheap wood for the centre part of the cannons. Glued and doweled together, I will knock 45's off the corners and turn on the lathe to 148mm diameter, then reduce where needed for details.

HUKzXSD.jpg

19. Sandbagger

Engines off, correcting the height and angle of the starboard engine. Noticed a height difference in a front on photo and measured it to confirm. A difference of 10mm at the mounting point translates to 40mm down at the front. I can't live with that so let's roll the sleeves up and get it fixed!

JKLdeqc.jpg

Did I mention that the Viper is now entirely freestanding? No saw-horses. My friend Alex came over today and helped me jack the engine block up high enough to remove the last one. In taking the engines off to correct the alignment, I also took the opportunity to finish cutting and pre-fitting the last of the skin around the main engine block. Productive day!

c0myoJZ.jpg

xiZ0Qyn.jpg

20. Sandbagger

Another midnight gone.

Unfortunately I don't have a wood lathe, but with a bit of creative thinking, I was able to make a tool rest for woodworking chisels and get things moving. The carriage on my lathe gets right in the way of large diameter stuff, so I pushed the tailstock back as far as it would go and cut my boxed timber in half.

After mitring the corners off the boxed timber with a circular saw, I mounted plywood plates to each end for the centres and turned it from octagon into cylinder and went from there.

hTMdyJX.jpg

KHwHMAL.jpg

Acvp5iF.jpg

FcdLSSA.jpg

KYA1y5b.jpg

xZuGHBE.jpg

Xz8MmwO.jpg

P7szNMc.jpg

21. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

Dude....you have the all the best toys!!!! I love it and so jelly of your shop. Puts mine to shame.

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  22. Sandbagger

Thanks mate. It's a pretty basic workshop. Standard stuff, drill press, vice, grinder and some hand and power tools. The lathe was a lucky pick up for $250 with tooling from a deceased estate. The son wanted someone to have the lathe that would put it to good use.

My workshop is small, cramped and very cluttered, especially when I'm making stuff. Hopefully in the coming years I'll upgrade to a 10mx10m shed. I have room on the property so I'm seriously looking into it, but the cost is holding me back for now.

Baz.

Lieutenant Jaku and Dirtdives like this.
  23. mkshane81

mkshane81 Well-Known Member

Every update is just a treat Barry! This is such a cool project to follow! (y)

-Matt

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  24. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

I got the room.....I just need some more toys.......

Lieutenant Jaku and Sean Anwalt like this.
  25. Sandbagger

Awww. thanks Matt! :D

Dirtdives and mkshane81 like this.