CADET115 Foam ODST(First time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example
The whole thread is literally poems and rap battles

For example
The whole thread is literally poems and rap battles
That is true. It's true purpose though is to appease the deity known as FANGS. We must shower her in praise in order for her to forgive our... Tomfoolery or we will suffer lashes from the wet noodle.

Are we trying to derail another one? CADET115 welcome to the circus

we don't try......we just ....do......

giphy.gif

Being this is my first attempt at a costume with foam, I'm just going to roll with it. Eventually I will work at making it more accurate and pretty but for right now I'm just focusing on making a very primitive ODST costume so I can get used to the material. Start small then work my way up to adding more detail.

I would suggest using an additional piece/ring around the opening rim of the helmet (curved inward), as that is where I believe it's at its smallest section. Your chin would be sticking out under the rim otherwise.

Hello CADET115! I see you have survived a derailment by FOTR.

You've made a great choice in a place to start with foam building. There are tons of super great tutorials here to fill your brain up with all kinds of information but you really just need to keep a couple of things in mind to get started. Sharp blades and clean cuts. My first foam build was a Sister of Battle from Warhammer. And then I decided I needed to dial things back and learn some better skills. I took a course during Costume College and learned how to make a foam cube. That taught me how to use the templates, make clean cuts, make angled cuts, proper gluing etc. Once you get those basics learned, there's not much limit to what you can make!

Hello CADET115! I see you have survived a derailment by FOTR.

You've made a great choice in a place to start with foam building. There are tons of super great tutorials here to fill your brain up with all kinds of information but you really just need to keep a couple of things in mind to get started. Sharp blades and clean cuts. My first foam build was a Sister of Battle from Warhammer. And then I decided I needed to dial things back and learn some better skills. I took a course during Costume College and learned how to make a foam cube. That taught me how to use the templates, make clean cuts, make angled cuts, proper gluing etc. Once you get those basics learned, there's not much limit to what you can make!
Thanks for the info, due to the worlds new favorite friend. I will have no school for the next 2 weeks and possible more after depending on how this situation turns out. Definitely going to start practicing.

Well I guess this great friend we have has caused my school to switch to online training till the 4th of May per orders of the governor. So now I have way more time to do things. I just rearranged my room to accommodate the ability for foamsmithing. Once I get a cutting mat so I don't mess up the table I will begin working on my ODST per the templates I have. Stay strong everyone and stay safe.
4BJanjv.jpg

Alright finally got paid and was able to get my cutting mat. I will try to start sometime this week maybe when I have down time but have been redoing the roof of my house. It's been slow because my family has zero roofing experience and the one guy that has 40 years of experience isn't able to move like my young self. The house we live in was built during the great depression so there are so many things wrong that we are finding that we need to fix lol. Been a fun experience though and can't wait to get it finished so I can spend more time costuming.

Well happy to say I finally found time to start working with the material. Not going to lie it's very different to sintra lol. I will be trying to invest with the proper tools for the job because I do need cleaner cuts compared to what I have now. Still overall I'm happy with the ugly monstrosity I made. My first attempt at foam ever and made a very ugly ODST helmet. My next attempt is either a second helmet or some other piece of armor that is simpler.
6QY6zXw.jpg
QnitRBN.jpg
6XzG6Aa.jpg

So a few tips and hints. First thing first if you make a mistake try and not to loose hope, foam is very forgiving. Second, keep extra blades need by, and keep them sharp. Third, if you can I would highly recommend contact cement (CC) for your adhesive. I have found that it makes it easier for cleaner semes. Just be careful if you do use the CC once it sticks that is where it will stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back