Can you sit on your armour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea ive tried many times convincing them. i even said i'd wait to fiberglass in the summer, so i could go in our backyard. but they think its gonna kill me and ruin the environment. mean parents :mad: i dont expect them to buy it, i'd use my own money, but you have to be over 18 to buy the materials....sooo i kinda cant get it.....i was gonna do the hot glue metod, but i dont have a portable stove. and i dont know how strong that would be, seeing i want it rock hard. and they cant really threaten me with much, since they all ready wont let me get a 360.....ive never played halo 3 yet...... :mad:
thz for the adivse tho...

NoMercyJoe said:
Most people have a temporary IP assigned by the DHCP. This means that usually every 24 Hours or 12 Hours , you will get a new IP address , unless you pay more for a static IP.
This is not true. Your computer may get a new IP address that often (usually 192.168.0.1 or something similar), but your router, cable box, whatever, keeps the same one.

To test this, go to HERE. It will tell you your IP address. Come back a week (or month, year, it doesn't matter) later, you will still have the same IP address (unless you moved and/or got a new ISP). Your whole network uses the same IP if it uses the same ISP.
So if you get that IP banned while your using one computer, you can't go on with another one on the same network.
You can try whatever you want to change it, but you can't unless you get a new ISP.

rachciav said:
They cant really threaten me with much, since they all ready wont let me get a 360.....ive never played halo 3 yet......
thz for the adivse tho...
Keep trying. It might happen if you give a good enough argument.
Now, as for the Halo related threats, they can always forbid you from making any sort of armor, or visiting the 405th. Parents will always find a way to punish you.

Last edited by a moderator:
how can they stop me from making armor? id just do it when theyre not home, and i have my own laptop which i bought...hee hee...im gonna ask them again now....lets see how this goes

rachciav said:
how can they stop me from making armor? id just do it when theyre not home, and i have my own laptop which i bought...hee hee...im gonna ask them again now....lets see how this goes
Good luck on asking. Anyway, they can always accidently find it and crush it. My parents are the kind that would crush my armor, burn it, take all my money, ground me for a year, and give me tons of chores. I'm just saying that it's better to have weak armor that you can wear than strong armor that you have to sneek around in.

they're being so f*ckin rediculous! my mom is refusing to talk to me now....i cant wait till i turn 18.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

rachciav said:
they're being so f*ckin rediculous! my mom is refusing to talk to me now....i cant wait till i turn 18.... :mad: :mad: :mad:
Sounds like my mom. :cautious: When she says no, she means no (usually)

now she wants me to reasearch the risks and dangers of using fiberglass and resin.....if anyone can help to make this faster i would worship you forever!
so far i found that you have to wear a resperator (which my mom thinks is something that breaths for you, is this true?) and gloves, in a well ventelated area, dont touch the stuff with bare hands, ect obvious stuff.

The only dangerous thing is the resin. Its toxic, and a resperator is suggested. A respirator is a mask that filters out the air into clean air, it dosnt breath for you. I resined with no respirator outside before, and Im ok, I was just high as a kite when i was done...

Respirators have filters that remove particles and/or chemicals from the air you breathe. Think of them as the same as a water purifier, but for your air. And if you're using resin, get a respirator that gets rid of chemicals, not particles, as a standard particle respirator won't protect you.

As for resin itself: you'll need a LOT of exposure to the fumes to cause any health damage. Along the lines of using the stuff constantly indoors with no respirator for a week or so solid. Anything else will just likely make you slightly dizzy if you're not wise about safety.

Gloves are a must, of course, and there isn't a serious environmental risk carried with resin. Most of it will go on the product itself, and any waste will cure long before any animal gets even close to it and be mostly harmless.

For safety, always use a respirator, gloves, a long sleeve shirt, and work outside. If you do this, you should be fine.

Even if I used plaster on the rest of my armor, I would not use it with the butt-plate. That type of material will just crack if you put any kind of pressure on it. I would use Frost's hot glue method if I had no fiberglass options.

Though have you considered epoxy and fiberglass tape(the orange kind they use to repair drywall)? No fibers or harsh fumes to breath in but very very strong.

My dad is cool with me using dangerous equipment, as long as i dont kill myself.
great guy.

And fiberglass tape with epoxy? I will look into that.

rachciav said:
now she wants me to reasearch the risks and dangers of using fiberglass and resin.....if anyone can help to make this faster i would worship you forever!
so far i found that you have to wear a resperator (which my mom thinks is something that breaths for you, is this true?) and gloves, in a well ventelated area, dont touch the stuff with bare hands, ect obvious stuff.

Do the research, but it'll all sound negative. Show her some WIP pics of armor =D. Before and after resin/ fiberglass.
It may change her mind if she's against it.

Ssyn said:
Do the research, but it'll all sound negative. Show her some WIP pics of armor =D. Before and after resin/ fiberglass.
It may change her mind if she's against it.
Exactly. Show her some of the arguments on the forum as to not fiberglassing. Seeing so many people that say fiberglass is the best option, and that if you use the right equipment it'll be safe might change her mind.

ive just finishe reading the first 9 pgs of the fiberglassing/resining tut. i think one of her main concerns, was that it would hard the environment. but i have since found out that cured resin is harmless. yay awsome forums! basicaly if im not stupid with this stuff, and follow the tips like gloves, outdoors, resperator, long sleeves. ill be perfect. and ive showed her all the pics of armor, and she saw my old unfiberglassed armor. so its just that she thinks im gonna get hurt. which i dont blame her for being afraid of, this stuff is dangerous when not handled propperly. thz for all your help guys ;)

Harm the environment? It's not little stuff like that that does it. That's why a cup full of Texaco Unleaded is still the best way to get rid of an ant hill. ;)

thats what im sayin. i think this stuff is fine to use. but just so i have some thing to say. what do you guys think is the best way to dispose of the left over resin? with regular garbage?

worst comes to worst you can ask your dad to do it for you or another older friend who doesnt mind doing it for you.
at least your being smart about it. Keep acting like and adult and use your brain. ;)

rachciav said:
thats what im sayin. i think this stuff is fine to use. but just so i have some thing to say. what do you guys think is the best way to dispose of the left over resin? with regular garbage?

Keep it until it goes bad, you don't know if you might need it for something else like repairs. But if you have it long enough that it completely hardens on you then yeah chuck it away with the regular garbage. Recycling plants hate that organic solvent based junk gumming up the works

Two thoughts I'd like to add:

1. You know, if this guy really didn't want a thick butt plate....he could just not sit down while wearing it. I mean, it's not like these are made for long-time wear anyway, they're show pieces.

2. To the guy who is having parent problems:
Perhaps rethinking priority is in order? What is your goal with this armor? Are you planning to play airsoft or something with it? Because unless you plan on using it to protect you you really don't need it to be -rock- hard....The idea with armor is to get the look right, and if it's more like plastic than metal in your version, that's a sacrifice. If you think about it, they may be doing you a favor, because the stuff is going to be very expensive. VERY expensive. And you'll find something later on you'd love to have the money for, I can promise that. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to do a favor to your future self and have that $100-200 later on for the rent you'll be paying on your apartment or whatever. Then you can use your slightly softer MC armor to beg on the streets, saying "Will teabag for cash".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back