Cardboard vs. PEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediStumpy

I'm new sooo...I made my suit useing cardboard, hot-glue, great-stuff, and dry-wall pud. only because I didn't know about anything about this site and pep and all the other wonderful ways to make armor. So far, as a I spent a good several weeks now looking through the site, there really isn't that make stuff made from only cardboard ( or like 80% cardborad). I did see that youtube video of that one guys cardboard/ducttape suit (very nice, but I would like to think I did a good job too).

But I would like to see more things made from cardboard. PEP is a no brainer when makeing (cut, fold, glueing only that is) but with cardborad, out comes the good imagination!

So post some pic of cardboard !!! ((the hunter cardboard suit I would love to see more of!!))

JediStumpy said:
yours is scaled more towards pep and what the molded armor looks like.
For the most part I'm going for accuracy. I don't see how it's more like Pepakura and molded armor, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunnz's armor is going to be amazing when he finally finishes it. Most accurate cardboard armor ive ever seen.

mine was meh. Helmet was too big, but overall pretty decent =]

n2704124359212438121bi9.jpg

iPwned said:
Gunnz's armor is going to be amazing when he finally finishes it. Most accurate cardboard armor ive ever seen.

mine was meh. Helmet was too big, but overall pretty decent =]

n2704124359212438121bi9.jpg
Thank you. :) If I ever finish it, that is.

I mean just the general way it a shaped. You have a different "layers" on it and lines to make it look like it been molded.

JediStumpy said:
I mean just the general way it a shaped. You have a different "layers" on it and lines to make it look like it been molded.
I'm not trying to make it look molded, I'm just trying to make it look the best I can. There's nothing wrong with layering it. It wouldn't look to great if there were no layers, would it?

Advantage to cardboard

Light, easy, strong, thick.

Disadvantages

Cannot bend in certain directions, cannot be folded intricatly, shows the little cardboard lines when folded.

Advantages to cardstock

light, easy to fold like paper, no cardboard lines, thin, strong, can be folded in small little detail.

Disadvantages

Thin which makes it easily smashable unlike cardboard, needs resin and glass for strength.

I would go with pepakura because you can scale it, but when you are making cardboard, your going by scale by eye unless you didnt start the last piece you cut out and trace it so you have identical pieces so it is scaled properly.

lol thats wat i did trace and cut 2 parts it works i like card bord cuz it give u more pride wen your done cuz with pep your copy cating the guy who made that armor like flying and other pep makers

check out this card board amor!
(the girl in the middle is a friend)
the other pic. is me (halo) and the megazord (power rangers)

But notice how much detail there really is in the cardboard.

But still...then again it's optimus prime...he is blocky.....meh

rvb24 said:
lol thats wat i did trace and cut 2 parts it works i like card bord cuz it give u more pride wen your done cuz with pep your copy cating the guy who made that armor like flying and other pep makers

I have plenty of satisfaction from my pep suit thank you.

AoBfrost said:
But notice how much detail there really is in the cardboard.

But still...then again it's optimus prime...he is blocky.....meh
I have plenty of satisfaction from my pep suit thank you.

and we have satisfaction with our cardboard, so is there really a need for you to say "pep is better, cardboard sucks compared to it"?

no.

Reread my post before you add words into my mouth, I never said cardboard sucks anywhere on the entire forum, many of you have said you prefer using cardboard, I say I like pep, then I get flamed, shows how mature some of us are.

Also I you shouldnt edit my post to make me sound like a jerk, anyone can look back and see those were 2 separate post. First one being unrelated to the cardboard armor of optimus prime.

your condescending tone with pepakura implied that you think cardboard sucks.

and you did not get flamed, merely questioned for your posting habits.
and i didnt edit your post.

if only we had a better way of expressing our minds...
anywhoo...i used both techniques, using pep templates and traced onto cardboard to make it pep detailed but strong enough to last halloween
here it is...helmet was made after halloween and the one in the pic is the legendary helmet...the AR is from a friend who kindly made it for me with foam, wood and duct tape and i edited with cardboard details

In the defense of pep models everywhere it's not THAT easy, and we have imagination see:

Nice job from scratch though. I'd like to see what you do next.

DoC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back