Centurion Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I pulled an all night-er last night.......and although I got a huge amount of work done.....I am certainly paying for it now. At work and trying very hard to stay awake......and I have a wedding tonight so no quick nap when I get home from work. And it is one of those types of weddings where you have to stay till almost the end.......:eek: I finished up w/ the detailing of my thighs and even managed to attach the strapping to them to attach to my undersuit belt.......I would post pics of this but I have reached my media limit.......and until I figure out how to delete some unnecessary stuff, no pics, sorry.

Even more good news.....I finally got the time and decent weather to work on my helmet!!!! I have the outside sanded smooth (1-2 rough patches that need just a little attention), the inside all cleaned up and cut out the visor!!! again, sorry no pics but It looks great. It still needs a bit more sanding around the opening for my head and the visor area but it fits. It is a bit roomy but it allows space for a good deal of electronics when I want to add them......I have only a fan and battery pack scheduled to be installed right now but I'm looking to add additional items later on.

Well good news/bad news time.......(Good) I was able to finish all pieces of my armor except for the helmet (Bad).....Also I got the base coat on everything and started the detail painting (Good)......but at around 3am this morning I ran out of time and steam so my suit isn't ready for SciFi Con (Bad)......The chest and shoulders still need the details painting (Bad) but even w/o them, they look soooooooo awesome (Good). I just need to clean up my media albums so I can post the pics.

Sad to hear you didn't make it... :(
Also, did you try just to post photos here in your post with "UPLOAD A FILE"? Should work fine.

Thanks CommanderPalmer, I did try my best and came really close......just the chest and shoulders for the body.....and of course the helmet.

Well, what do you know........It worked.....and I'm a idiot......more like a techno Neanderthal really. I'll have to get these smaller though......didn't know that the "Upload File" was for pics as well....just thought "Media" was. Now I'm sorry I didn't take any pics of the pieces that were painted. Here I just have the base coat for everything.....and just like mawrTRON's teal coloring......it changes between sunlight/natural light and indoor light. Very cool.
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG

Dam these pics are flipping huge.......I guess I'll have to send them from my phone as a smaller file......Techno Neanderthal powers ACTIVATE!!!!
Helmet 1.JPG
Helmet 2.JPG

HA!!!! That worked nicely!!!! Hey Duke!!!! Pretty sweet brain bucket!!! Thank you!!!! 8-10% roomier than needed but not out of the realm of normal looking. So first thing I did was sand down the outside.....all those little pointy pesky peeks here and there....all gone. Then worked on the inside getting rid of all those fiberglass spikes.......still had some here and there but I figured that the Rondo would take care of that.....which it did to some extent......my mixture was a bit too thick in one batch and it ended up being a bit jagged on the inside so I had to cover that section w/ a second coat of Rondo......now the helmet really has some weight to it......my neck muscles will be getting very strong wearing this thing for several hours.....So just to clarify, when making Rondo....it should be very runny? Or just enough that when poured in you could move it around w/ a spoon and it would remain smooth looking......Now since I'm not going to wear this for this Con....I can truly finish the helmet properly.....there are a few spots that indent, Bondo will take care of that....not many so the boxy look will remain....I like it. Then add a few detail pieces and then get to painting. The visor cut out was very easy but time consuming......this was my first time cutting fiberglass so I was very unsure of how to go about it......When I first got my Dremmel, it was mainly for handy-work.....I used it for floor/wall ceramic tile removal and cutting using a tile cutting bit.....which worked great against the fiberglass.....It just took a long time since the bit head is really small......cut out cleanly and I had to only lightly sand the opening afterwards.

When I get home tonight I'll get some pics of the finished pieces.....They look so cool now.....So I just want to ask one last question.....this being the soft showing of my armor....would unfinished painted pieces be a faux pas to wear to the con? I really want to show people and get their live opinion.....Pic sometimes miss things I feel.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I love seeing progress pics of build. Once paint start flowing, you really get to see the true form of the suit. Look great Dirtdives.
Helmet is looking good as well. I cant wait to see that puppy painted as well. Too bad you couldn't get it done in time for the Con. Look at it this way, you are much farther along than other people in their builds... i.e. me.... ugh.

Thanks PaiganBoi. Yeah...once you get to the paint stage...things start picking up speed. You don't realize how long it take to build each piece until you get to a point where you seem like your flying through them. and BTW, I haven't sent out your special delivery yet.....ran out of stamps. Bad Dirtdives......:oops:

Post Con update:

Well SciFi Con was AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Kids had the time of their lives. We were well received by all the Colonial members there (as if there were any other outcome) and it was great to put a face and voice to the names. I'm glad I wore my suit despite not finishing the helmet....and the painting of the chest piece.....I was up at 7am painting it that day of the con.......very hectic morning. Now that I have had my soft showing....I know where improvements and corrections structurally are to be made. And of course my helmet.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1009.jpg IMG_1027.jpg IMG_1028.jpg IMG_1036.jpg IMG_1041.jpg

Now the bad news: Battle Damage.....due to a mishap w/ my phone and wallet.....our suits were left in the car....outside......in the heat........not something I would recommend any one to do.....Well The ODSK weathered the heat nicely. No problems, but I will have to redo the holster for her Magnum.....magnets didn't hold and kept pulling off of the foam but otherwise her suit is still serviceable. My suit however was not as fortunate. The heat warped the back piece inward (It was resting on the back) and the original seam I used to get the chest piece on/off reopened and the booster attached to that section fell off. Luckily, it fell off in a single piece and can be reattached w/o a problem. Nothing that can't be easily repaired. Another issue was the shoulders.I never got the chance to attach them properly so they kept slipping down my arms. Not a big issue but annoying as hell. Same thing w/ the cod....I have to find a better way or better means to attach it to myself. W/O it falling off while walking. How embarrassing :oops:. All in all....I had a great time and the suit held up nicely.

Hmm. With the shoulders, you could perhaps have some Velcro sewn in or attached in some fashion to a dedicated shirt to use as an undersuit, if you aren't already using a full undersuit. Attach two strips to the bicep plates, and the opposite strips to the undersuit, and just slip them on and push the bicep plating onto the Velcro. Another thing I commonly see with 343 style suits is that people just permanently attach the Biceps by either rivet work, or sewing.

(I hope that helps- My phrasing feels a bit clunky here, but I hope it portrays the idea correctly.)

No, big help actually. You have described some of the methods I already planed on employing. It is just a matter of doing it.....I need a break. After 3 months of intense working on 2 suits.........it would be nice to get to bed at a decent hour.

I also recommend upholstery foam inside. If the pieces are kept in place, but just keep rotating, upholstery foam does wonders - it will keep them in place.
If it's a bigger problem - velcro. OR those rivet-thingies.

Nothing is rotating but I will be using upholstery foam to keep my chest piece from sliding back....the boosters are a bit heavy and off-balance the chest piece.

My Next suit....snaps. no buckles and it will look great....buttttt i need that 3d printer first. But over all Dirt your suit was killer man. You guys came in out of no where and jumped right into our chaos. Welcome to the family. And I can't wait to see you finished suit up close next time man!

Thanks Harri51, Your ODST was a killer as well.......I just though it was hilarious.....you and my daughter back to back....the only ODSTs in the group
Resized952017061195111358.jpg

And yes ......We will be back next year. I plan on finishing my suit for NYC Comicon in October.

One of these days I would like to make it to a convention with a large colonial presence. I think everyone's builds look great. Hope you can get your armor all pieced back together. Anxious to see that helmet finished up.

Get in line dude.......get in line.........We actually had 10 members this past Sunday.....Not sure how many there were on Fri or Sat though, it just felt like a lot.......With the inclusion of my son next year.....maybe even my other daughter to finish my Fireteam: Brooklyn.....we'll have even more.

Hey, Dirtdives, it's been a long time since you had an update with your suit.
Did you ever manage to finish you bucket? I remember you mentioned that your next con was gonna be NYCC.

edit: Took me a while to find your thread. It's been so long... forgot what it was titled. :p

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't. Between RL and family issues, I haven't really had much "me" time. I have begun to re-purpose my daughter's ODSK suit for my son's......repainting already started.....until I dropped a pipe wrench on my foot.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't. Between RL and family issues, I haven't really had much "me" time. I have begun to re-purpose my daughter's ODSK suit for my son's......repainting already started.....until I dropped a pipe wrench on my foot.
Pipe wrenches are supposed to be "real choochin' thumb frakkers" not for toes. Sounds like it isn't a real skookum wrench.

Also, Dirtdives, you should make your helmet a Keropi to match the Hello Kitty armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back