Centurion Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pipe wrenches are supposed to be "real choochin' thumb frakkers" not for toes. Sounds like it isn't a real skookum wrench.

Well, according to my 3 bruised and 1 broken toe, I can assure you it is quite the skookum wrench. 5 lbs, about 2.2 kg actually.

Actually he is at home right now repainting the ODSK to his own colors. I just have to build a new chest add on piece and make a logo for it. I still have to finish his helmet. And a actually sprayed my helmet the base coat. Now on to sanding a bit and touch ups.....and detailing.

So for the past 1/2 month or so I have been semi-working on my helmet.....it really isn't an update when I say "I painted then sanded" and then a few days later again "I painted and sanded" so I had to wait till I had something more substantial........so here is my update:

So I painted and sanded my helmet a few times.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG .....and made the opening a bit wider so my monstrous noggin can fit through. Then I had a great idea about the inside padding. None what so ever. The last helmet I built for my son the entire thing had padding inside it and it acted like the portable cone of silence (Get Smart reference for all you youngsters) but for a single person. So I wanted to avoid that. I took the insert out of my old Samurai helmet, which was an old construction helmet, and wanted to somehow attach that to the inside.
IMG-20151216-01043.jpg IMG-20151216-01044.jpg IMG-20160111-01089.jpg IMG_6656.jpg
After a few aborted attempts, I though the only way to get it to work is if I shoved the whole thing inside my Centurion helmet.........which obviously didn't fit.......but what if I only needed the section that the insert attaches to? like this:
IMG_0557.JPG and sure enough it fits right in....IMG_0558.JPG

So now when I wear it, I have plenty of space around my head for any fans and/or lights that I want to install and the best of all, the brim is adjustable and sits on my head centrally so my head isn't over-weighted on any one side. I can rotate my head w/ no issues and it sits high enough that it doesn't interfere w/ the chest piece.

IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG

Now on to the visor, the details, the fan (lights later), and touch-ups on the suits straps and paint, and I'm done. Oh wait....I still have my son's ODST to finish.......:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh and as an added touch, I have my call-sign in Vinyl ready for install around the collar of the chest piece: IMG_0566.JPG

ohhhh. Like the idea of the construction helmet as an insert.
Check this vid out. Try it as an alternative for making a liner for you son's helmet.

I already have another helmet liner all set for him but this looks cool. How did you find this so fast?

I already have another helmet liner all set for him but this looks cool. How did you find this so fast?
Lol. It's a dude I follow on Instagram and I had just watched the vid last night. Your timeing with your hard hat liner was just perfect.

Well my timing has a lot to do w/ the fact that I'm running out of it.....time that is.........7 more working days left for me to finish everything.

I agree!!! I found it so much easier to install as well. I did have to mark up the helmet brim contact points though. I used hot glue to attach the insert and because of its smooth surface, hot glue has a tendency of just peeling right off. I still have a bit of smell on the inside from the resin and rondoing but not much. I just hope that my head being inside this for hours at a time won't instigate additional odor level. yeah yeah ...I hear the jokes already.....brush your teeth better/period....... have lots of mints on hand......nose plugs work.........keep the helmet on so you don't kill anyone but yourself......ha ha ha :unsure:.

If it helps, I used my insert - just the part of it, not the whole thing (just the gray part on yours, without red thing), and used epoxy 2 part glue just on like 2 spots in the back (my helmet had 6)? Holds like nothing could ever break it.

About the smell of resin/rondo. Same here! There is still a little smell... but I guess I don't feel it anymore and got just used to it through all the working with it. If someone else puts the helmet on, they say it smells.

I've heard perhaps plastidipping inside could work to get rid off the smell. No idea if it works.
You could store the helmet upside down so the smell could go away.

I think Plasadip would just re-energize the smell. I was thinking more along the lines of Frebrezeing the whole inside. Something that might get rid of the smell, not add a different flavor to it.

This Spartan definitely needs to scowl. haha

I like it. With the shoulders being all big it will look really intimidating. It's weird to see your eyes. Once the visor is up it will make proportions look better. I think you could raise the helmet up some though to give you a better height dimension. I know you already secured the head band so that might prove too much work, but all in all I like where it's heading. Good color, good smooth surfaces.

mblackwell1002 , photo hunt.. What is that thing in the bottom left (not the ODST chest) batteries?

Thanks PerniciousDuke! If memory serves, Fred is one Spartan that has any type of humor insinuating that humor was a genetic flaw that they were working on. So not sure if he scowls.

Yep. Need to get visor done. Its the next thing.

Photo Hunt Answer: A bunch of 9V. I have the fan, just need power and all of those are dead.....had them for a long time.

I don't know who said it......but they were right. Its all in the details. A few more pieces to add and I can spray a final coating then painting the details. I love details......Speaking of details......PerniciousDuke you may have noticed 3 piece that are missing that went on the chin area that is not there....unfortunately those pieces seem to have gone missing in the interim. 2 have been replaced w/ foam and I'm trying to replicate the last one......

IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back