CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is starting to shape up sexy Dave.
Masterfull work as usual.
Tom.

Thanks Tom!
It's proving to be quite the journey, but what a journey it's been :)

It's amazing how a quick coat of primer makes of all your hard work just POP!! I know I'm not alone when I say thanks for sharing your hard work and methods with all of us. This continues to amaze....keep up the great work sir!!
-Matt

Agreed about the primer, it's bitter-sweet! You can really see where things are going, but at the same time all the little imperfections surface and let you know just how much more you stll have to do :(

Always happy to share :)

Damn it Dave! Why do you do such amazing work? The back looks SO GOOD! This Mk VI puts all others to shame. (no offense to all others lol)
I'm very eager to see the arms and legs and cod and boots turn out just as good. Keep it up Dave!

Haha, thans Gabe!
Flattered by you're generous comment ;)
Once I get done with the chest, everything else should fly! (I probably just jinx'd myself!)

As always, awesome update! Those lower center details are a very nice touch. Having smaller areas with fine detail like that really compliments the bigger, smooth expanses. I'm sure whoever did the armor design for the Mk VI would totally dork out if they saw this. Love it!

Thanks Lil!
I totally agree about the detail layout, hence... the last update! It's all about the "little things" and how doing them sets off the bigger things that much more!
Am in love with you're build btw... You are like the Foam Princess! (awesome)

As usual youve exceeded all of our expectations and youve raised the bar. This is definately shaping up to be a higher quality then even the fabled adam or bluerealm suits. Definately jaw dropping. I wish i could see this in person.

Slightly off topic, one shot shows your toolbox setup and i thought that that alone was an impressive feet. Cannot wait for the next update, makes me want to get off the train, run the three kilometers home and finish my helmet. Kudos for inspiring us all to reach for a new level

Thanks Keanu.
Happy to hear you like the build! At the end of the day, I'm just doing what "feels" right :)
Glad that I could supply some motivation for you.

Oh my god man! That is truly amazing! I hope I'll be able to see the suit in the end in person eventually!

Yeah, I know what you mean. There are suits here that I would love to see, it's just a matter of the logistics for most of them! :(

It's starting to look like a "Epic work of art.":cool

Thanks thorn!
Same to you! Loving the pack addition on your Noble 6, looks great!

This is all looking rediculously amazing! I can only hope to end up with something half as epic as this!

Thanks carpathia!
I have no doubt you will! ;)

That's "hey chicka bump bump" kinda sexy!!!

Lol, thanks man!
Giggity-goo!

Dave.

I'm going to go pick up my jaw from the floor... Dave that is just... WOW! I don't know how else to put it. I know I've said this before, but I am looking forward to the possibility of getting my hands on a cast of your helmet AND your chest piece. The helmet alone I've looked around at the other sellers and compared them with yours and its no contest. The amount of detail, and the quality of the details on your helmet out shine all the others. (No offense to other MKVI sellers, just my opinion.) Keep it up!

Thanks Metalfire, means a lot! It's been a long road so far, and a lot of work!
I just received my Smooth-on order today, so I'll be molding my helmet soon ;) Very exciting for me!

UPDATE!! MOLD... DONE!

Alright, haven't posted much as I've been quite busy. So did a little shopping and here's what I came home with:

DSC_0217.jpg

First order of business...
I'd like to take a moment to thank Brandon McClain and Tony for their time and info! You two have helped to take some of the guess work out of this process.
You guys are awesome!!!

Let's celebrate by molding my helmet! :)

First things first, here is a list of the materials I used:
  • Dragon Skin 10 Fast x3 pint kits
  • Silicone Thinner
  • Thi-vex
  • Silc-Pig
  • Smooth Cast 300
  • So-Strong 'Black'
  • A countless amount of cups
  • Even more brushes
  • Tongue Depressors
  • A deck of playing cards
  • Hot Glue
  • Cardboard
  • Coarse Fiberglass Matt
  • Liquid Polyester Resin
  • Wing nuts, Bolts & Washers
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Most importantly.... TIME!

Let's get started!

*** It should be known *** This is not a tutorial... This is just what "I" did to mold my helmet. Nothing shown here should be regarded as "The Way" it is done. As this was my first go at molding.

Step 1.

First layer of Dragon Skin:
- The first layer is thin, very thin! The point of this layer is solely to capture all the detail of the piece to be molded. The layer is kept thin to avoid air entrapment, this is very important when using Dragon Skin as Smooth-On Does strongly recommend the requirement of De-gassing prior to use! Unlike Rebound 25/40 which does not and is more forgiving a material to work with. I mixed a small amount with Silicone Thinner to bring the viscosity of the Dragon Skin down to a more easily 'brushable' consistency. This first layer, is the only time where Thinner was used.

DSC_0232.jpg

Step 2.
The Second layer o Dragon Skin:
- The second layer is applied with no additives (thinners/thickeners) and it's purpose it to give the first very thin layer some more substance.

DSC_0239.jpg

Step 3.
Undercut fill 1 of 2 and Key placement:
- This is not considered to be a 'layer', but is meant only to begin to fill all of the undercuts on the piece. (under the brim, cheeks, nose, etc...) A batch of Dragon Skin is mixed with Thi-vex to bring the viscosity up, it is then applied to the above stated areas. Material is also placed in a thin coat where the keys will be placed. Once curing of this batch has reached a nice and sticky state, the keys are applied to their ore-determined positions.

DSC_0245.jpg

Step 4.
The third layer of Dragon Skin:
- The third layer is generously applied to further bulk up the overall thickness of the mold and is applied with no additives. (thinners/thickeners)

DSC_0247.jpg

Step 5.
Undercut fill 2 of 2:
- The second undercut fill is to further back-fill all of the areas which have any remaining undercuts. Undercuts are a no-no, as if they are left unfilled they will cause the mother mold to not separate and can become weak spots when De-molding the silicone. I added pigment to this and all further batches of Dragon Skin with the sole purpose of being able to see where I am going, versus where I've already been.

DSC_0252.jpg

Step 6.
The forth layer of Dragon Skin:
- The forth layer is to once again add further thickness and bulk to the mold. It also helps to further smooth out the previous undercut fill layer.

Step 7.
The fifth and final layer of Dragon Skin:
- This layer was a personal choice. I just looked at it as 'added insurance' and rigidity. The final thickness of the mold was just shy of 1/4" and heavier than I had anticipated!

... Love the color though!

DSC_0267.jpg

Step 8.
Building the Mother Mold:
- First things first... the all too familiar Mohawk, this was build with playing cars and hot glue. I then covered it with a layer of aluminum foil. (Good luck to those who may try to mold... Nothing sticks to silicone!!!! Nothing!!! )

DSC_0274.jpg

- I propped the helmet on one side using a coffee tin and started away with the glassing (Respirator warn at all times!!)

DSC_0286.jpg

- Once cured, I did the second layer of fiberglass. This layer was tinted, once again so I can be sure that no areas are missed. Taking you're time when glassing will give you a nice smooth finish that requires little to no 'after-work' to knock down and or cover sharp or jagged areas. It's all in the application!!

DSC_0287.jpg

- Lather, rinse, repeat for side 2:

DSC_0293.jpg

- After a couple of hours of curing the piece is rock solid, I drilled the holed for the fasteners, then with a couple of flat screwdrivers and a hammer the pieces were gently separated.

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

- The de-molding of the silicone inner mold went like a dream! No cut seam needed, just rolled it up and off! (Thank you very much Brandon!!)

DSC_0302.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST, AS I HAVE HIT THE IMAGE MAXIMUM!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
CONTINUING FROM PREVIOUS POST...

Alright... where were we... ;)

All that was left to do was make my first casting! :)
Here are the results!

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

I find it quite amazing to look at it once again with no paint.... It looks rather dull and incomplete next to it's mama! ;)
For my first go... I couldn't be happier with the outcome! (for both the mold and the casting)

Here is a video I made throughout the mold making process...
It is not a tutorial... I just decided to share what I have done.
Enjoy!

**** Smooth On Dragon Skin - First Time Making A Mold ****

Well that's about it for now, it's been a busy and expensive week! ;) As per normal... An questions/comments/critiques... Always welcome!

Cheers all,
Dave.

That looks amazing! The inside of that mold looks so smooth. I want to crawl inside of it and live there!! Haha

Now the casting assembly line can start! ;) lol

*Grabs the tent, coffee maker, and sleeping bag and runs to be the first one in line* That looks great! I really like how it came out. Do you have any idea on how much the price of a cast would be? I've already started saving for one of these bad boys.

I probably sound like a fangirling little boy right now, which isn't far from the truth.

If I didn't already have a helmet, I'd probably go for one of these.. but then I'd have to upgrade EVERYTHING on my suit to match the quality!

*Grabs the tent, coffee maker, and sleeping bag and runs to be the first one in line* That looks great! I really like how it came out. Do you have any idea on how much the price of a cast would be? I've already started saving for one of these bad boys.

I probably sound like a fangirling little boy right now, which isn't far from the truth.

Lol!
I'll post details about the availability of purchasing casts in the next day or so. ;)
Sit tight, am on it!

If I didn't already have a helmet, I'd probably go for one of these.. but then I'd have to upgrade EVERYTHING on my suit to match the quality![/QUOTE

Haha,
Thanks man! Well if you ever change you're mind, you know where to find me! :)

Cereal Killer is the Old Spice man of the Halo world.
Great attention to detail and quality!

Terry Crews or Isaiah Mustafa?

Fabio.

Naw, I'm just kidding, I meant Isaiah Mustafa.

LMAO!
You guys freaking kill me!

... And its Isaiah Mustafa fo sho! ;)

Dave.

Thanks Brandon!
It demolded just like you said it would.... Like a dream!! :)
The overall thickness was just under 1/4" and remains very stable.
Yes, rolled it up starting from the back... Wonderful stuff!

Just wanted to say thanks again, for all you're help and great info!

Cheers,
Dave.

Glad to hear it went well. How many layers did you end up putting on? And you just let me know what it's going to take to get my hands on one of those bad boys.

Glad to hear it went well. How many layers did you end up putting on? And you just let me know what it's going to take to get my hands on one of those bad boys.

I ended up doing 5 layers in total. Just wanted to be sure.
Lol, I'm going to be doing some casts this weekend, just need to figure out how many I'm going to be doing first ;)

Its so pretty... *wipes a tear from face* lol
Great job dave :)

Thanks man!
Happy you like!

Alright all, I'm going to be doing some casts of the helmet this weekend, who ever is interested in one let me know by PM, just so I can get a feel of how many I'm dealing with.

I don't yet know how many I will cast in total, but there will not be too many.

Cheers,
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back