CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
It truly is amazing seeing this build come to life right before our eyes. The detail is second to none. I agree with thorn, this will be the build all others are judged by. Great job my very talented friend. :D

my brain just went derp. simply amazing detail work.

Haha... Derp... Love it!
Thanks Cinder, it's been a lot of work. But now I get to stair at it... Talk to it... Touch it seductivly! (I may have said too much :( )

Looks sweet. :D

Thanks Thorn!

It truly is amazing seeing this build come to life right before our eyes. The detail is second to none. I agree with thorn, this will be the build all others are judged by. Great job my very talented friend. :D

Thanks Man. Between you and thorn alone, you're gonna make my head explode!
To be fair though, I got my motivation from watching builds like the two of yours. So thank you both and the others like you for getting me here!

Dave / Cereal.

haha, no, no you haven't said too much, I think we may all do that with our builds at some point, have to show them how much you care (as if the time you spend with them isn't enough, haha.)

Is there any way you could sneak in how you cut your trenches into one of your vids? That is one of the things I have the most difficulty with and your trenches look amazing! Loving this build!

Well, I guess it looks alright if you like details and such....lol. JK, this is straight up, the new hotness! I love how you make the pieces look my man. Exceptional work all around!

Tony

Awesome details

I don't know if its still around here but when I built my helmet, I made a little tutorial on some mold pieces I made for all the negative details. It would really help you here on making the "valley" details in your build. It works like a stamp, a positive piece covered in clear packing tape. You press it against the layer of bondo then just trim the excess as it gels. Its prefect for making symmetrical details, and you're doing a ton of them.
I'll try to find any pictures if I still have them.

haha, no, no you haven't said too much, I think we may all do that with our builds at some point, have to show them how much you care (as if the time you spend with them isn't enough, haha.)

Yeah, I figured that I wasn't alone! ;)

Your build really is amazing! It makes me want to go back and add the details that I didn't put it.

Sorry for the possible extra work load!
But, that does happen to me also, think something is done, then... back we go!

Is there any way you could sneak in how you cut your trenches into one of your vids? That is one of the things I have the most difficulty with and your trenches look amazing! Loving this build!

I plan on doing that in the upcoming video installment, where the left side of the back will be covered.
Hang tight! Will be available soon ;)

Well, I guess it looks alright if you like details and such....lol. JK, this is straight up, the new hotness! I love how you make the pieces look my man. Exceptional work all around!

Tony

Haha, thanks Tony!
I just work it until it 'feels right', if that makes any sense.

I don't know if its still around here but when I built my helmet, I made a little tutorial on some mold pieces I made for all the negative details. It would really help you here on making the "valley" details in your build. It works like a stamp, a positive piece covered in clear packing tape. You press it against the layer of bondo then just trim the excess as it gels. Its prefect for making symmetrical details, and you're doing a ton of them.
I'll try to find any pictures if I still have them.

Hrm... Interesting...
I think I understand what you're saying about the piece acting like a "stamp". If you do have any images available or a thread on this site that shows said stamps, I would be very interested in seeing them!

Thanks!

Dave/Cereal

Sorry for the possible extra work load!
But, that does happen to me also, think something is done, then... back we go!

Dave/Cereal

It's ok! I'm happy with the level of detail I've put into it. We will just see how it looks all together!

Do you plan to do the LEDs in the suit in the long run?

After much consideration, Ive decided that I will be incorporating speakers within the shoulder vents of the chest piece, and of course a cooresponding mic within the helmet. I just find it quite difficult to speak while wearing the helmet.

On another note, there will be an update posted on Saturday night and should be a new video installment as well.

Till then,
Dave.

Ah I can finally post here. Great job. You have set the bar very high my friend. Keep up the awesome work.

Loving this build as always as you are setting the bar that notch further up the awesome scale, it is defiantly covered in your own sauce........hmmmm should have I said it like that 0_o

I take it you will be gracing us with how you incorporate the speakers and mic? I wanted to do the same but am not a much of a techy. If it is too complicated to explain this to the clueless then no worries I must know some one out there that will know, I hope :p

I just wanted to take a moment and say:

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

I hope all you fathers out there have a great day with the people that matter most!

(That would be you're family outside of the 405th! ;) )

Warm Regards,
Dave/Cereal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy fathers day Dave. Hope you had a great day with the family.
My wife kindly let me do what ever I wanted so did some work on my gravety hammer :)

Its fathers day in your part of the world? I dont think fathers day here is till september? Aw well i guess ill have to wait a little longer. But happy fathers day to my 405th father brethen. And cereal keep up the outstanding work.

UPDATE!! (WITH VIDEO)

On the menu today, we have Neck Seals and Battle Damage!

I've been waiting all day for my latest video to upload (Took about 6 hrs) before I made this update. It's up so here we go!

Started working on the neck seal. First thing I did was re-enforce the back of the area that I was to lower. Then I went straight to getting rid of that god awful pep line in the middle of the neck.

DSC_0086.jpg

After some grinding down, a coat of filler and lots of sanding, we end up with this:

DSC_0088.jpg

A thin coat of glaze to bevel all the sharp inside corners and get rid of all the pin holes and imperfections. If I had waited until later to do this, it would have been much harder when all the small details were in.

DSC_0092.jpg

While I was waiting for the glaze coat to cure up, I started on the main battle damage of the front chest piece. Accurate as per Halo 3. Being that the damage itself was caused by an energy weapon, the by-product would have been head damage. Therefore, I went with a smoother, more "liquified metal" look to make it look like the piece was melted and then re-solidified. It looks very stark and off because of the extreme contrast difference between the white and the dark grey primer, but will balance out once painted up. :) For a more complete explanation and walk-through, check out video # 7.

DSC_0098.jpg

Made my measurements and taped off the area which will be the rim of the neck seal:

DSC_0100.jpg

Bondo coated, sanded and smoothed:

DSC_0103.jpg

Lather, rinse, repeat for the two pieces that sit on the collar of the neck seal:

DSC_0117.jpg

And again for the center...

DSC_0121.jpg

It should be noted that this is indeed a great deal of work! This is not really a novice task. A much easier approach to the neck seal would be foam or rubber, I went the solid route due to the fact that I will be molding the chest and did not want the possibility of it being damaged by the process.

And one last time for the two main details on the neck. (Pain in my a$$!)

DSC_0124.jpg

Once the details were in, I put on a glaze coat just to finalize everything. That's about where I left off. Today having been father's day left me busy with the day's events and no time to work. But... there's always tomorrow! ;)

Making Master Chief: Episode 07 - Making A Neck Seal & Creating Battle Damage.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Sp96VR3Ok&feature=plcp

As per normal, any questions/comments/critiques... Always welcome!!
Take care everyone,
Dave/Cereal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cereal I have to say you are making me drool at the mouth with every update. The helmet and the chest are INCREDIBLE! I personally cannot for the life of me stand using Bondo. It's my sworn enemy!

What everyone has been saying here is nothing but the truth, your stuff is superb! Whenever you get around to casting that chest piece, consider me a VERY interested buyer. Keep it up!

Well what can I say about this work of art today that everyone else hasn't already said...... Well I guess I can say, you're earning you're call sign by "Killing" it with each and every part, that you perfect here in this build. ;)

I personally can't wait till you're next post, Just to see what amazing thing you come up with next. And Thank you for taking the time to share you're work with us. :cool

Its fathers day in your part of the world? I dont think fathers day here is till september? Aw well i guess ill have to wait a little longer. But happy fathers day to my 405th father brethen. And cereal keep up the outstanding work.

Thanks man!

Loving this build as always as you are setting the bar that notch further up the awesome scale, it is defiantly covered in your own sauce........hmmmm should have I said it like that 0_o

I take it you will be gracing us with how you incorporate the speakers and mic? I wanted to do the same but am not a much of a techy. If it is too complicated to explain this to the clueless then no worries I must know some one out there that will know, I hope :p

Lol! nice!
Yes, I will cover the electirical protion of the build as well. However I have yet to decide how I will go about the mic/speakers... not too sure as of yet what to use for a receiver that will be nice and small. (Suggestions welcome!)

Well, have to keep people on their toes and make sure the work keeps getting better and better ;)

Cereal I have to say you are making me drool at the mouth with every update. The helmet and the chest are INCREDIBLE! I personally cannot for the life of me stand using Bondo. It's my sworn enemy!

What everyone has been saying here is nothing but the truth, your stuff is superb! Whenever you get around to casting that chest piece, consider me a VERY interested buyer. Keep it up!

Yeah, bondo can be a pain, but once you get into a groove with it, it's your best friend! :)
I will eventually be molding the entire suite, but... that's a little far off from the current time.

Well what can I say about this work of art today that everyone else hasn't already said...... Well I guess I can say, you're earning you're call sign by "Killing" it with each and every part, that you perfect here in this build. ;)

I personally can't wait till you're next post, Just to see what amazing thing you come up with next. And Thank you for taking the time to share you're work with us. :cool

haha thanks thorn!
I keep telling myself that I need to "draw a line in the sand" so to speak, jus to keep each piece from taking months to complete. But at the same time, I don't want to sacrifice too much.
Always happy to share :)

Dave/Cereal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back