CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I may have commented on your latest and greatest vid in the other thread, but AWESOME job. Well thought out and very informative for people getting into this hobby. Keep up the good work, Dave.

Do you have any updates on the armor?

Bit of an update...

OK, I know, I know....

I've been a bit of a ghost around here for the last while, But... with good cause!
I'm in the process of building my workshop as I have decided to dedicate more time and energy to this "hobby" if you can call it that anymore. I would refer to it as a "healthy obsession".

I will be dramatically increasing the number and type of videos that I will be putting up on my YouTube channel. They will be covering many different techniques and builds as well as a weekly Q&A video that will answer the questions there may be about prop building! So if your interested, subscribe to get the latest updates!

As for this build thread, updates will be coming for this as well! Sit tight all, a lot is changing!

My apologies for being gone so long, however this will all be changing soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cereal.

First off good to see you back with us even though I have seen you lurking about. Hope you get the workshop finished soon so we can see some more of your fantastic work. Looking forward to your videos as I am starting my first peped helmets soon after learning the very hard and slow way on my Ironman helmet how its done but more info is always welcome. I am quite confident now that I can pull off some work that I can be proud of with out it taking such a long time. Moulding the foam helmet then casting it and then improving it with filler has produced a good result but its taken way too long. Good news is its almost done now :)

Tom.

Glad to see you're still with us as Drack already said. Hope you get your work shop finished soon so you can continue the path of this "Healthy Obsession". :p I'm going through Cereal withdraws here. . . LOL!

Yes!!!!! You're not gone forever!!!! I thought this build was about to die, and I'm sure glad I'm wrong. Keep at it Dave, you know we're all rooting for ya! Your build has inspired us all.

Now that I can post here, and you're back; I just want to say thank you for your videos. They're very informative and have helped me in building my armor. Especially in the scaling dept.

i second tigersgrace on that one! ive watched all your videos and they have helped immensely on my first build! glad to hear your adding new videos!! :D

Aaaaaand... Action!
Ok, I'm back... for real this time. Time to finish this build up leaving no stone unturned.

Hold on to something, we're gonna be moving quick :)

Here's a new videos...

Dave/Cereal.

Sorry, Can't seem to post multiple videos within one post anymore here.... huh... Well here's number 2.

And the man is back! :)
Hey Cereal, good to have you back with us. Looking forward to the updates you got coming for us.

Another well-done video - but, here's some constructive criticism to consider. At full volume on my computer and in the Flash player, I still was barely able to hear your speaking, and that was during the normal audio. The dubbed audio has your dialog even quieter. I'd pump up the volume a little, and also equalize it for consistency between the live takes and dubbed voice-overs. Details like this can turn your good videos into great ones (as you do with your builds).

I find it interesting that you give the impression of promoting hot glue for pep, when you yourself have chastised it for its problems later when filing and sanding. (I think your exact words were, "I hate hot glue!".) In my opinion, it's slower than other glues, messy, hot (well, uncomfortably warm), creates stringers everywhere, causes thicker and uneven seams, and is more expensive than other glues that don't have the filing and sanding nightmares (white glue).

As for using "a computer from a company that deals in fruit", what percentage of Macs have been hacked into annually compared to the thousands (millions?) hacked running the inferior, buggy, security-loophole-laden, sell-it-now-and-maybe-fix-it-later operating system on the "cheap" computers? That's right - practically none. And the pc's that haven't been hacked (yet), well you can thank that to the (alleged) virus "protection" software which is always (always) running in the background using CPU time, and is worthless without a pay subscription to keep virus definitions (well, the known ones anyway) up to date. In short, you get what you pay for.

That said, it's great to see you active again on the forum. Your builds and videos represent what people like me aspire to.

Ok I was just made infantry rank ( yay me!!! ) and have waited patiently to be able to post on this thread.

I am in awe over the sheer amount of detail and care you bring to each piece you create. I have watched almost all your vids and read this thread multiple times from front to back. It is THAT GOOD!

So thankyou for sharing this experience with us and all your tips/insights. Being new to this artform myself it really gives a good scope on what is achievable, and I can only hope my build turns out half as good as yours.

Thanks again, keep up the amazing work/labour of love

And the man is back! :)
Hey Cereal, good to have you back with us. Looking forward to the updates you got coming for us.

Hey Drack, glad to be back in to the swing of things! I have a lot of projects on the go simultaneously. Some Halo and some not. Either way I'll keep everyone in the loop :)

Another well-done video - but, here's some constructive criticism to consider. At full volume on my computer and in the Flash player, I still was barely able to hear your speaking, and that was during the normal audio. The dubbed audio has your dialog even quieter. I'd pump up the volume a little, and also equalize it for consistency between the live takes and dubbed voice-overs. Details like this can turn your good videos into great ones (as you do with your builds).

Hmm, I have not had an issue with hearing the audio on any of my devices, however I took a look at the project in Premiere and noticed that the master volume was down -10dB. Not quite sure how that happened. Thank you for pointing that out.

I find it interesting that you give the impression of promoting hot glue for pep, when you yourself have chastised it for its problems later when filing and sanding. (I think your exact words were, "I hate hot glue!".) In my opinion, it's slower than other glues, messy, hot (well, uncomfortably warm), creates stringers everywhere, causes thicker and uneven seams, and is more expensive than other glues that don't have the filing and sanding nightmares (white glue).

I don't believe that I'm giving the impression that I "promote" the use of hot glue. I've stated several times that "Hot Glue" is the most common used adhesive for Pepakura modeling. I have also stated that the use of white, craft, crazy/super glue are fine as well. Being that the most recent video on "What is Pepakura" is primarily geared for the novice who is looking to get their feet wet. I tend to focus on methods/materials which are the Norm.

Being that you've clearly expressed you're hatred for hot glue and all of it's negatives (some I share), perhaps you could share with the members of this forum the preferred alternative you use to assemble your projects?

As for using "a computer from a company that deals in fruit", what percentage of Macs have been hacked into annually compared to the thousands (millions?) hacked running the inferior, buggy, security-loophole-laden, sell-it-now-and-maybe-fix-it-later operating system on the "cheap" computers? That's right - practically none. And the pc's that haven't been hacked (yet), well you can thank that to the (alleged) virus "protection" software which is always (always) running in the background using CPU time, and is worthless without a pay subscription to keep virus definitions (well, the known ones anyway) up to date. In short, you get what you pay for.

Umm.... ok.
my, my... That's a pretty elaborate reaction to a 1.5 second joke. I myself do use both PC and Apple products and am aware of the short coming for "Each" of them, yes... neither are perfect but did what I say deviate from truth? However, this thread is NOT the correct venue for off topic opinions or Apple product defense. This is a costume build thread and is to be treated accordingly. After all, what I said was a joke and should be viewed/treated as such.

That said, it's great to see you active again on the forum. Your builds and videos represent what people like me aspire to.

Thank you for you're praise. Yes it has been a while since I've been able to make any movement on any projects, but now that has all changed and I'm excited to tear through everything.

Ok I was just made infantry rank ( yay me!!! ) and have waited patiently to be able to post on this thread.

I am in awe over the sheer amount of detail and care you bring to each piece you create. I have watched almost all your vids and read this thread multiple times from front to back. It is THAT GOOD!

So thankyou for sharing this experience with us and all your tips/insights. Being new to this artform myself it really gives a good scope on what is achievable, and I can only hope my build turns out half as good as yours.

Thanks again, keep up the amazing work/labour of love

Thank you for you're praise :)
As I've always said, I'm here to help! (when I can :) )
I'm sure you're build will be fantactic! Just remember, what you put in is what you get out. Best piece of advise is "don't rush" if something takes you a whole day to get right, there's a reason and it will show in the end product! The devil is in the details!
Also, Congrats on Infantry!

Dave/Cereal.

Hey Dave,

Glade to have you back, have watched everyone of your videos and love em. So happy to see that your coming out with more of them. I find myself going back to them when i need a refresher on something even now.

Thanks,
Fireryne

Sorry to anyone viewing this thread right now! It looks like I've maxed out my Photobucket account 10 Gig bandwidth limit and they have stopped linking my images....
It's probably going to cost me but I'll get this fixed asap! :)

Sorry to anyone viewing this thread right now! It looks like I've maxed out my Photobucket account 10 Gig bandwidth limit and they have stopped linking my images....
It's probably going to cost me but I'll get this fixed asap! :)

Open up donations? I realise that's probably a sticky way of going about things, but I'm sure others would agree that a few dollars to help you out here in return for the advice you give surely isn't much to ask, as a way of showing gratitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back