CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will trade you my girlfriend,( Italian so you know she cooks wonderful ) and keys to my car for a mold of this helmet. I will then proceed to have the helmet permanently molded to my head so it can never come off. Thank you for your time.

- Rick

Dang that hosing is fantastic! I myself am a fan of the loom but now that I see what you've done I am amazed by it! Looks so much more realistic! I agree that it works better for casting purposes though, too much going on, not simple enough. Maybe a coat or two of flat black paint could make it look one.

Other than that fantastic job so far Cereal!

tumblr_m30416LI9w1qa7xs6.gif

This is undeniably, amazingly, and unbelievably AWESOME!

Words cannot express my feelings. So I will leave this video right... here...
*scampers away*

-Alexis

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Dave! I also had the same problem with the indented side pieces. When I first came across them, I was confused as to why they were sticking in and not out! I thought I had pepped it wrong, but eventually I came to the same conclusion that you did: they have to be cutout and re-built (unless one wants to go through the hassle of trimming the visor to fit instead).

Well done on the rebreather tubes. They stick out of the helmet a little too much for my taste (perhaps thinner hose?), but I really like how you came up with a new way of making them. The corrugated tubing worked well enough for me, but then again, my suit wasn't as good as this. As always, thanks for sharing your work and ideas. Keep it up! :cool

I will trade you my girlfriend,( Italian so you know she cooks wonderful ) and keys to my car for a mold of this helmet. I will then proceed to have the helmet permanently molded to my head so it can never come off. Thank you for your time.

- Rick

LMAO i couldnt stop laughing after reading this. I pictured it happening lol.

Anyways, Cereal, the breathers look great man, they look like you could actually use em :) Great job sir

- Rick

LMAO! (sigh)
I am Italian, so the cooking's out! Plus... The wife more than likely will not approve :(
But will absolutely trade your car for a cast! ;)

Thanks for the comments Rick!

Dang that hosing is fantastic! I myself am a fan of the loom but now that I see what you've done I am amazed by it! Looks so much more realistic! I agree that it works better for casting purposes though, too much going on, not simple enough. Maybe a coat or two of flat black paint could make it look one.

Other than that fantastic job so far Cereal!

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using loom, It just did not sit well with me. (just preference I guess)
I will be painting the breathers with black plastic paint before I mold them.

This is undeniably, amazingly, and unbelievably AWESOME!

Thank you!
Very happy that you like it! :)

Words cannot express my feelings. So I will leave this video right... here...
*scampers away*

-Alexis

LOL, thanks Alexis!

Love the breathers, They are yet another thing that sets you're helmet apart from others.:D

Thanks thorn!
Overall, that was my goal here. I didn't want to just make another "cookie cutter" Mk VI, Not that there is anything at all wrong with banging it out as per the pep. I just wanted to make it, how it felt right. Any other way would not fly!

Looking good Dave! I also had the same problem with the indented side pieces. When I first came across them, I was confused as to why they were sticking in and not out! I thought I had pepped it wrong, but eventually I came to the same conclusion that you did: they have to be cutout and re-built (unless one wants to go through the hassle of trimming the visor to fit instead).

Well done on the rebreather tubes. They stick out of the helmet a little too much for my taste (perhaps thinner hose?), but I really like how you came up with a new way of making them. The corrugated tubing worked well enough for me, but then again, my suit wasn't as good as this. As always, thanks for sharing your work and ideas. Keep it up! :cool

Hey Spitfire,
Yes the way the visor fits (or doesn't fit) by default is one of those things that nobody seems to have ever talked about! lol
I found myself scratching my head wondering... "did I fu@$ up the pep?" But in the end, The side indents had to go! The breather tubes do stick out a bit further than the norm, but I did take the depth into account when I built them. For me, they feel/look like they add to the overall shape of the helmet.

Originally Posted by DefineLuck

- Rick

LMAO i couldnt stop laughing after reading this. I pictured it happening lol.

Anyways, Cereal, the breathers look great man, they look like you could actually use em :) Great job sir

Thanks I wouldn't advise using the breathers lol!
But yeah I found that funny too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eeee! It's beautiful! The epic lighting in the shots on page 17 is perfect and that visor is just gorgeous. The whole thing looks like pure greatness :)

Actually, they should not be re-built! They really are indented! I have scrutinized a few in-game pics, as well as physical references, including the 12" MacFarlane MkVI figure and, if you take a look, the visor is actually carved out right there, and have some kind of black backing behind. I have never seen anyone actually try to do this though, but I was planning to (if I ever get around to finishing my MkVI). Cereal, since you seem to be doing such an AWESOME job, and are paying such CLOSE attention to detail, I would LOVE to see you give it a try! Great build, and good luck!!

One quick question for you Dave, when you went from this shot:
0191.jpg

to this shot:
0199.jpg

Did you sand or dremel cut? I'm assuming sand but I want to be sure before I try on mine. Thanks!

-Dylan

Eeee! It's beautiful! The epic lighting in the shots on page 17 is perfect and that visor is just gorgeous. The whole thing looks like pure greatness :)

Thanks Lil! ;)
It was the evening and there wan a nice beam of sun light coming through the window in my garage, had to take advantage of it! ;)

Actually, they should not be re-built! They really are indented! I have scrutinized a few in-game pics, as well as physical references, including the 12" MacFarlane MkVI figure and, if you take a look, the visor is actually carved out right there, and have some kind of black backing behind. I have never seen anyone actually try to do this though, but I was planning to (if I ever get around to finishing my MkVI). Cereal, since you seem to be doing such an AWESOME job, and are paying such CLOSE attention to detail, I would LOVE to see you give it a try! Great build, and good luck!!

DAMN YOU SHADOKAT!!! :eek
(sigh),... yes I am aware that the side pieces are inset from the visor. lol
They have been bothering me quite alot, Now that someone other than myself has pointed it out... it will never sit well with me unless I do something about it!
SO...

Challange.png

One quick question for you Dave, when you went from this shot:
0191.jpg

to this shot:
0199.jpg

Did you sand or dremel cut? I'm assuming sand but I want to be sure before I try on mine. Thanks!

-Dylan

Yes. lol
What I mean is I started with the rotary tool and brought it down to about 1mm from the final height, then it was done the rest of the way with manual sanding with a foam backer.

Awesome. Totally admire your thought process. Never taking the shortcut. Never compromising the design. *applause*

Thanks, glad you like the build!
If I took a short cut, it would haunt me until I fixed it! --> (Hence the uneasy feeling about the side pieces on the visor stated above ^)

But, I'm just an anal, OCD, self punishing glutton! ;)

is it me or is the face plate(visor) supposed to be more round or bubble like than flat like that? just a question. will you try to make a game accurate face plate?

Yes, I know that they're supposed to be indented, as I mentioned in the post you quoted. :p For most people, it's not worth the extra hassle to try and trim the visor to fit around them, so they just simply get added on top of the visor. The way Dave's going about his build and the accuracy he's achieving, it would be worth it to try and get them indented as they're supposed to be. However, even if he doesn't, it would most certainly not detract from the overall finish! Whatever you decide to do Dave, I'm sure it will turn out excellent. :cool

Hmmmm... with my helmet I am having a hard time getting small details in... especially on the back curves and the nose of the helmet... Any tips for that? I cant seem to get into some places with the hand file :D help would be appreciated.

is it me or is the face plate(visor) supposed to be more round or bubble like than flat like that? just a question. will you try to make a game accurate face plate?

The visor is supposed to be bubbled. However, not happening with motorcycle visors. Not possible to do without damaging the coating as it is extremely heat sensitive. the only way to make a bubbled face shield is to make a buck and vac it, or make a template and mold&cast it with clear plastic. However... Unless your buck/template is "flawless" and has a perfect arc; which it will not, then when you look through it, it will have optical distortions. So for the sake of keeping good quality, the visor will not be bubbled.

Yes, I know that they're supposed to be indented, as I mentioned in the post you quoted. :p For most people, it's not worth the extra hassle to try and trim the visor to fit around them, so they just simply get added on top of the visor. The way Dave's going about his build and the accuracy he's achieving, it would be worth it to try and get them indented as they're supposed to be. However, even if he doesn't, it would most certainly not detract from the overall finish! Whatever you decide to do Dave, I'm sure it will turn out excellent. :cool

I will be making the necessary adjustments!
... Fml!

Hmmmm... with my helmet I am having a hard time getting small details in... especially on the back curves and the nose of the helmet... Any tips for that? I cant seem to get into some places with the hand file :D help would be appreciated.

Hi Axel, welcome to the 405th!
If a tool dosent fit/work... Move on to trying something else.
Throughout this thread I cover the tools I use and when they are used. Also, there are several build threads and tutorial threads here on the 405th which give great info on how to go about doing specific tasks. I suggest you get your read on! ;)

For the sake of your question; I use a mix of needle files, sand paper, rotary tool with various bits, and razor blades. :)

Cereal.

man, my mind is soooo blown on this entire project, it's simply amazing, and I hope any build i do comes close to this level of awesome.

It's been a long time since anything Halo related here has really impressed me, but damn man you have some serious bondo detailing skills.

EEK!! Sorry, man, I didn't mean to cause more work for you. Then again, if anyone can pull it off and do it justice, you can! Seriously, though, I don't know why no one's ever attempted it before (or, if they have, why I've never seen it)... well, other than the potential for ruining a $30-$50 visor with one little... okay, now I can see why. Oh, and, Spitfire, sorry, mate, I may have misread your post.

(Also, if anyone is quietly taking votes, can we get some Eliting up in here?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back