Cheap, effective vacuum former?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sweet. This was reeeally cheap too. i actually have a plastics outlet right by my house, so ill try this out tomorrow

Here is what I made for small vac-forming projects by Ralis Kahn. I used a 6.5 hp shop vac on 1/16th thick high impact polystyrene (HIPS) and ABS sheets and it works great for what I needed it for. Please be very careful with the wiring! Do not attempt to build if you're not familiar with electrical circuits, failure to do the wiring correctly may short the circuit and could cause a fire or even death!

vacuumformphoto1as.jpg

Here is what I made for small vac-forming projects by Ralis Kahn. I used a 6.5 hp shop vac on 1/16th thick high impact polystyrene (HIPS) and ABS sheets and it works great for what I needed it for. Please be very careful with the wiring! Do not attempt to build if you're not familiar with electrical circuits, failure to do the wiring correctly may short the circuit and could cause a fire or even death!

vacuumformphoto1as.jpg

Holy my Jesus!! Daddy wants!!

I think that i should try something like what Jimmy Da Moose's post showed to start with =, because i dont want that huge ass thing just chillin in my garage if i dont like vacuum forming as much as i should.

I think that i should try something like what Jimmy Da Moose's post showed to start with =, because i dont want that huge ass thing just chillin in my garage if i dont like vacuum forming as much as i should.

I have a Google Sketchup design I worked out for a 2' x 2' vacuum former that I want to build. The nice thing is that I designed it to break down so I could store it when I am not using it. My only problem with it right now is that I am not sure if the oven is going to draw too much current to actually use it.

There was a man in New Zealand who heated his plastic with charcoal outside his backyard then use a shop vac to form it. Seemed like a good idea, cheap heat source and it won't run up your electricity bill. I would probably save an old square barbecue grill for the charcoal and make a matching metal frame to hold the plastic sheet over the heat source. For the vacuum platen, follow what these guys at DH2 did for their project.

A heat gun is probably too unpredictable, huh? It isn't consistent like an oven. But would it work?

It might work for a very small pull but for anything like armor or visors, heat guns will not work. You need to heat the plastic to a consistent temperature across the whole thing. By the time you finished heating one portion with a heat gun, the previous would be too cold again.

the problem i've had in the past with using an oven as the heat source is that you can only use plastic sheets small enough for your oven, which is only good for small 1/32nd scale models

yeah. I think thats about what mine is going to look like. Ill have it done by next monday hopefully. It doesnt seem all too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back