Clay Is Actually Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that clay modeling would be a pain in the pa'tooter, but it's really not that bad. In fact it's kind of fun. I finally got some "real" clay (for those of you who read my thread inquiring about Roseart's non-nsp modeling clay). I started to play with it and decided I would try a sculpt. I started with something small and simple - a hand plate. Here are the pictures http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/fbodyfanatic2001/MC Armors/Clay/]

Or here are the images themselves. This is my first EVER clay sculpt -- criticism? (constructive please). This was done in maybe and hour and a half or 2 hrs and it's not done yet

100_2312.jpg

100_2313.jpg

100_2314.jpg

100_2315.jpg

100_2316.jpg

100_2317.jpg

100_2318.jpg

I would Highly suggest working off a cardboard cutout as a template and build on top of that so you can get the proprtions right.

I did that and this was my ever sculpt. To surprising results

I cut out the template out of cardboard and built up on that

Great effort but I will be the first to say...I think you are missing the right side. Keep working and it will be fine.

Ithica

SupermanExtreme1 said:
I would Highly suggest working off a cardboard cutout as a template and build on top of that so you can get the proprtions right.

I did that and this was my ever sculpt. To surprising results

I cut out the template out of cardboard and built up on that

I agree, this is an extremely good idea. Maybe even build a lo-def pep handplate, and then put some clay on it to smooth it and work on the details.

Btw, amazing start for some free-handed work, I have always sucked at clay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ithica said:
Great effort but I will be the first to say...I think you are missing the right side. Keep working and it will be fine.

Ithica

;0

Lol which is why I said "it's not done yet"

TF_Productions said:
I agree, this is an extremely good idea. Maybe even build a lo-def pep handplate, and then put some clay on it to smooth it and work on the details.

Btw, amazing start for some free-handed work, I have always sucked at clay.

Thanks. maybe I will build on top of an already existant object, may be easier....even though it's fun (yet frustrating) to do it freehand lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above. Try using some cardboard cut outs... poster board from walmart works great. You could even trace one side > fold trace it on poster board then cut it out for a symmetrical pattern that wont interrupt your work on the opposite side. Keep after it. Different degrees of clay act differently you might play around with harder and softer clays to see what works best for you. I prefer the hard stuff just cause I can get sharp edges easier with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back