Clone Trooper pep files coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to make Clone trooper pepekura files for a while. I've been using a high-rez model off of url="http://www.scifi3d.com/list.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=13"]www.Scifi3d.com[/url]. The poly count starts out around 60K for just the helmet. I've been using 3ds max. I've been able to reduce the ploy count by removing mesh smooth off of each of the parts. I have also been using the edit poly/verticies/ weld (by threshold) to reduce the polycount. Depending on the settings I'm using I can get the model down to 400 to 1000. That's still large, but manageable. Non-helmet pieces are really easy though. I took one of the shoulders and it came out at 27 polygons.

My big problem is that I can't figure out how to attach the parts of the helmet together. The helmet is broken into 5 pieces: head, 2 ears, fin and visor. I can't figure out how to get the model to act like a single mesh. I've tried boolean/union and edit poly/attach. For some reason it always acts like multiple pieces. Anyone know how to attach those and preferrably get rid of all the geometry inside the helmet? I've tried many different methods of boolean/subtract and union. The results always seem to miss a few verticies they should have hit.

I also wasn't sure of the ethical standpoint of posting PEP files derived from someone else's 3D model. The terms of use of the scifi3d site seem to make it clear that I can use those models and make new works out of them. I believe that I'm supposed to credit the original creator though. Not entirely sure how I would do that in PEP.

Andy

I know the file you mean, to be honest the helmet is not worth the effort., The armour is useable though.

idonutn0 said:
Hows the progress on this one going?

I've actually finished my work on my file, but I don't want to to post it. There's all sorts of "extra geometry" I couldn't get rid of. My goal was to make something close then mold it into shape with some extra clay. Eventually I'll vacuumform a final version of it. I'm about 1/3rd done putting it together.

To tide you over though I did find something on clonetroopers.net. It's not the greatest, but better than nothing.

http://rapidshare.com/files/115675174/Ep2_pepkura.pdo.html

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
AoBfrost said:
Well Heres a helmet worth my pepakura skill

screwdfprlife.png

It isnt final, I'm not sure If I will release the helmet due to it being do dang odd shaped and smooth, too many pages and pep pieces to make the helmet, I just imported to I'll see what I can do.

I was confused with my other models and found this helmet to be the most accurate shaped, though being accurate....that means MORE PAGES/PIECES, so as my original statement stands, I may not be doing the helmet.

I unfolded the helmet, it is impossible to do, theres 30,000 faces and infinite amounts of folds.
Only the armor will be doable since it's less detailed than the helmet.
does that mean its IMPOSSIBLE or just extrememly time consuming? if it is just time consuming plz post it still. lol im still in school and i think i'll have the helm done by a month so plz post :)

DeathStatus said:
thats because the 405th kicks 5001st ass cause we smarter. its weird there. i was just on and its not like the community we have here. no one knows each other. all they do is sign up for events

Umm...hey. I am in the 501st and I am insulted and offended by this statement.

I can assure my garrison's boards are more than a community, they are a family. I can say whole heartedly that my garrison is like an extended family to me, we are always there to support each other in times of need, emotionally and even financially. When one members hits a rough patch, the whole garrison rallies around them and does everything they can to help that member. We certainly do more than just "sign up for events" on our boards. We talk about everything.

I also think its ironic for you to make the statement you're smarter than the 501st in a post filled with grammatical and spelling errors.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to trying to flame you, I'm just trying to remind you, "Armor, Honor, Unity." The costuming world isn't about competition, it's about expression and Camaraderie.

Cadet said:
I too find his post unwarranted and offensive. I have already reported this to the mods. Let's just wait for them to take action.

Plus, it's a necropost so it's a double whammy for him.

Cadet said:

I can assure my garrison's boards are more than a community, they are a family. I can say whole heartedly that my garrison is like an extended family to me, we are always there to support each other in times of need, emotionally and even financially. When one members hits a rough patch, the whole garrison rallies around them and does everything they can to help that member. We certainly do more than just "sign up for events" on our boards. We talk about everything.

I also think its ironic for you to make the statement you're smarter than the 501st in a post filled with grammatical and spelling errors.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to trying to flame you, I'm just trying to remind you, "Armor, Honor, Unity." The costuming world isn't about competition, it's about expression and Camaraderie.
well im sorry dude. i didnt mean to be meen or anything. just makin a joke dude. i didnt realy mean to kindle a rivalry or anything. i just said that because i went to the 501st website and didnt realy see any community chat or any social things to do. didnt mean to offend you. and btw dont be insulted by anything you see on the web dude. learn that almost everybody on the web is sarcastic 99% of the time. now because of people like that, it gets my ass in trouble with the mods.

EDIT: i found this garrison you speak of. i saw the southern california one and also some of the other ones. thats HUGE BRO! i guess i was just bias towards it cause i like halo better but i saw the pics and there were armies of stormtroopers walkin with gearge lucas. lol it looked cool. lol soory i woudlnt have talked $#!T earlier if i would have found that earlier.

DeathStatus said:
well im sorry dude. i didnt mean to be meen or anything. just makin a joke dude. i didnt realy mean to kindle a rivalry or anything. i just said that because i went to the 501st website and didnt realy see any community chat or any social things to do. didnt mean to offend you. and btw dont be insulted by anything you see on the web dude. learn that almost everybody on the web is sarcastic 99% of the time. now because of people like that, it gets my ass in trouble with the mods.

I don't want you flame you or everything, but dissing another online community because of what you couldn't find in another online community is still messed up, even if you meant it as a joke.

Confucious T said:
I don't want you flame you or everything, but dissing another online community because of what you couldn't find in another online community is still messed up, even if you meant it as a joke.
dude nothing in a joke is messed up. a joke is something someone says just to try to be humorous. JUST TO BE HUMOROUS AND NOTHING ELSE. im a $#!T load of ethnicisities and i get hit with a bunch of stereotypes. instead of being offended and doin wat you just did i just laugh and try to think of a comeback cause i know hes just bein friendly. i know hes bein friendly cause you can sense his tone, you can even do it wen you chat online. so how the f*** are you gonna make a new friend if wen you see someone just messin around like that, you get insulted start a rivalry. be human man. have a sense of humor even if the joke isnt that funny.

DeathStatus said:

I too am 501st and it is actually more social than the 405th because it is divided into groups based on area and we go to events and things together and therefore meet lots of new people.

DeathStatus said:
dude nothing in a joke is messed up. a joke is something someone says just to try to be humorous. JUST TO BE HUMOROUS AND NOTHING ELSE. im a $#!T load of ethnicisities and i get hit with a bunch of stereotypes. instead of being offended and doin wat you just did i just laugh and try to think of a comeback cause i know hes just bein friendly. i know hes bein friendly cause you can sense his tone, you can even do it wen you chat online. so how the f*** are you gonna make a new friend if wen you see someone just messin around like that, you get insulted start a rivalry. be human man. have a sense of humor even if the joke isnt that funny.

First of all, I never said I was offended. All I did was present my opinion. Second, you should really do a spell check when you type, that way, it would be easier for me, and probably others, to understand what you are trying to get at me. Also, I was not trying to start a rivalry, because as I stated at first, I was presenting my opinion. Yes, I know my opinion may not have sounded as if I was in the best of moods, but that is what an opinion is, one's feeling on a subject or topic.

So, my bad if you felt as if I was going to start on a rivalry.

any progress to this at all.... you've taken the time... im sure theres many other just not me that would wanna build it!

Pulling up two topics that were both calmly in their grave... Once again i gotta say it, necro posting is a bad thing on these forums dude, gotta watch the date of the last post in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back