Props Cnc Machined Game Weapons Including Halo And Killzone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a small one that you can build at home...

cnc2-dewalt.jpg

Rockcliff CNC Plans

I picked up a set of these, but haven't decided if I want to build this one, or hold out for a more complex 5-axis model to build.

Doom said:
If I was getting something CNC'd, I would personally snuf up the model more then that. No point in having a base for the prop if you are spending a few hundred to CNC it. Better to just go all the way.

Model is also too boxy IMO, would have to be pretty high poly anyway, smoothing groups can't be CNC'd :p.

Nice model though, Good for a general reference.

-Doom

I was about to say if he pmd me i will Make it HD'er :p
But just saying him i had it lying around

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a set of these, but haven't decided if I want to build this one, or hold out for a more complex 5-axis model to build.

Ah ha! This is the CNC machine that I based my plans on. Except we modified the gantries to allow for a 20x20x14" work space. Other than being a tad small, that is a GREAT set of plans you have.

I would HIGHLY recommend building a 3-axis router before trying to tackle something as complex as a 5-axis. A 5-axis router is orders of magnitude more difficult to build and work with, than a 3-axis is. That and there aren't nearly as many controller software packages out there for 5 as there are for 3.

I did some asking around in the CNC forums. Apparantly although the software is available, the 5 axis plans are as scarce as hens teeth. I may just stick with the Rockcliff for my first build to keep it simple.

5 axies or 6 axies are hard to find blue prints of. they usually are just another attachment. i had alot of help building my5 axies one here... it also includes software and gmax, 3ds max 3d modeling support.. gmax is free...

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc.htm

I'm familiar with the CNC Toolkit software (I'm in the CNC Toolkit Yahoo Group). But a project that involved is definitely something I'll have to work my way up to.

;)

I think for someone who's doing their first CNC build, the advantage of the Rockcliff plans (and similar packages) is that it's pretty much laid out in one package, with plans, cutting layout, parts list, etc. A lot of the Do-It-yourself web tutorials are written by someone who has a lot of experience with the subject, and assumes that a newbie knows as much as they do, when they don't have the experience of having built one (or many of them) before.

JEALOUS!!! theirs 1 @ school i can use, but my teacher wont get it FIXED!
angry.gif
hissyfit.gif
but if he does fix it im making pistols with it, and the 2 hellsing pistols alucard uses XD
a nerd i am

Sorry about not geting back to you guys so reply time!
Garland said:
What formats can you use? If my models will work, I'd love to get my SR cut (and I'm willing to pay for it).
I'm not sure yet, I'll find out in a week.

link4044 said:
where you getting the money for that?
My wonderful Father is geting a 3 axis 3D cnc machine for work and I can use IT!

p0rtalman said:
I'm going to assume its a 2d one... 3d ones cost a LOT of money...
Ummmmm.... no it's a 3 axis 3D cnc machine.

CPU64 said:
BEHOLD!!!
The awesome-sauce drenched goodness that is a 5 axis
Too bad I couldn't get one of those but they cost between $80,000-$120,000 :whoa:

WMHunterTLS said:
I have all of these models which you can use:

http://martynleeball.blogspot.com/

There is two pages. Carbine is 95% finished now, that's an old picture.
Sniper
I'm interested in the sniper but I'm not skilled in 3D software so could you please slice it down the middle and disconnect the complicated shapes like the scope, the stand and the gun barrels. BTW I think that the less detailed one would do, Thanks!
BTW anyone have a Halo 3 shotgun model that I can use?

NICE my friend!!!

you are one lucky mofo having a dad that lets you use the cnc machine.

im thinking about getting the rockcliff machine. its only 2axis right?

and wat exactly do you need model wise to have the software make the cuts? what program does the model have to be in?

yeah im a noob, i know lol.

The Rockcliff machine is a 3 axis machine, left-right, front-back, and up-down. The source model can come from almost any format of 3d file, you just need to use a program like MeshCam to convert the model data into a "toolpath" that the machine can use to cut the material into the shape desired.

Thanx general mayhem.

stickying this thread wouldnt be a bad idea

LAST question (for now anyways) what material can the cnc cut? i know ive seen styrofoam cut and that 5 axis video had metal being cut, so what am i limited to generally?

That depends on your motor tool and how long you're willing to wait for it to cut your shape. Your choices range from foam and poured resin board, to wood and softer metals. Ideally, the best use for the CNC mill is to cut blocks of specially made hard wax, and use the wax master as a basis for casting the final part in a more permanant material.

As you can see, I've done a lot of research in preparation, just haven't had the time to build the machine itself.

:lol:

Yes, I agree, this topic is ultimately too useful not to be stickied!

Depends on the machine and the power of the router. Most home built machines aren't going to cut metals very easily. Torque issues and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back