CPO. MENDEZ-Teacher, Drill Instructer, "Living hell", Friend, Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay I'll just say *insert*_PAUSE*(.....(ops!(didn't mean to do that!!!)))

/sarcasm

not trying to be mean
Its okay, bro. I wasn't trying to be mean either. I just have this killer pet peeve for extra periods. Haha.

All of the stuff on the Halopedia is very accurate and Wikipedia is thoroughly checked for false info.....except when it comes to religion topics........

I tested that my self.........I made a false MA5B page and they cleaned it up and deleted it faster than you could say "that was fast!"

not to mention this is sci-fi.........

my I also remind you that it's the paranoia to think that wiki is bad, and evil, and thous doesn't contain truthful info......(my opinion out of experience and I'm not trying to say anything about you.....once again opinion through experience.)
Okay, first off, that was hard to read. Not tryin' to moderate, but good god, could you clean it up so I get where you're goin' with it?

The thing is, a Wikia site is far less reliable than firsthand source material, such as a developer's website or actual commentary. Anyone can write anything to a Wikia and cite it as fact, but only the developer of the topic the article is about can actually confirm that the belief is fact. I've seen all sorts of jumpy stats and figures on Halopedia, and I only use it to get my hands on mass amounts of data that I can filter through firsthand sources to confirm.

What does the genre have to do with the fact that people named "Mendez" are typically of hispanic descent? That dude in that picture was the whitest dude I've seen since Robert Pattinson as Ed Cullen. (YOUR DESTRUCTION IS THE WILL OF THE GODS. AND WE ARE THEIR INSTRUMENT.) Somehow, I doubt severely he's CPO Frank Mendez. Furthermore, there is no confirmation, whatsoever, that he is, indeed, Mendez. It's all hearsay and some idiot posting an uncited fact to a wikia site. Unless Bungie Studios, themselves, say "Yes, the man in the video is CPO Mendez" I'll have trouble believing it, even if he DOES have a patch that says so. (Which he doesn't, by the by.)

As you read the books you see a name like "mendez" and you assume that it is latino and normally farther in the book there is a smaller confirmation. Such as Lt. Hikowa(worked the bridge on Iroquois and Pillar of Autumn), I thought she was Japanese...then later I was confirmed because she cursed or said something in Japanese.

In my opinion, I always thought of Mendez would look something like that. I'm not saying that the Drill Instructer is him, but thats what I sround the lines of what I imagined he looked like.

...OF COURSE!!!!

It could be SGT. teletubbie for all we know!

/sarcasm......

besides a person can have a last name and not look like what their name suggests.

My friend is a prime example.

and find me info on wikipedia that isn't legit and correct and cross reference with a few dozen hundred textbooks and then I MIGHT BELIEVE YOU

Alright it makes perfect sense that would be CPO Mendez since he trained the Spartan IIIs and Carter is from ALPHA company which is the first group. However and maybe someone can find it..but in Fall of Reach there is no description that I could find. Reason being is he just pops into the story screaming at John and the others to wake up when they first start training. I couldn't find where John 117 describes him then or later on down the road..

So if someone can find a description in Fall of Reach, and then Ghost of Onyx that says he was white with a shaved head then its basically confirmed. I saw NO insignia on his uniform as well to show his rank..i could be wrong. I watched both cuts numerous times.

Ps-He has "dark eyes"...is the only description i could find.

Okay first description of Mendez we get is in "The Fall of Reach" page 28-29 described by Catherine Halsey " He wore a black dress uniform, his chest awash with silver and gold stars and a rainbow of campaign ribbons. His close shorn hair had a touch of gray at the temples. He was neither tall nor muscular, he look so ordinary for a man who had seen so much combat... except for his stride."

As soon as I can find it in onyx I'll post that into this one
Okay got it Ghosts of Onyx page 69 we get a slightly different description of Mendez from Kurt.

"The hatch on the nearest Pelican opened with a hiss, and a tall man strode out. Mendez had aged well. His trim body looked chiseled from ironwood, but the hair was now silver, and there were deep creases around his eyes and a set of ragged scars that ran brow to chin."

^haha dude thanks and you wont believe it..i think i read the first sentance skimming(pg 28) and went on without the second sentance(pg 29). jeez...arg. but yeah thanks!!!

I don't think at that point he was balding at all from old age(hence why maybe you would shave it all later) otherwise she would have stated it..perhaps referring to stress and early hair loss or something.

know what i thought last night...with the game release...obviously Bungie/343 really don't give a hoot on breaking canon or not...so for all we know that IS CPO Mendez.

That's true. And wouldnt be the first time a company did that ie. Star Wars EU being crapped on all the time by Lucas.

know what i thought last night...with the game release...obviously Bungie/343 really don't give a hoot on breaking canon or not...so for all we know that IS CPO Mendez.

Tell me, HOW in the world did Bungie break Canon when in fact Bungie MADE the Halo Universe. Enlighten me.

The book and game do not line up story telling/event wise. To put is in simple terms its like they said the earth was round and we are told to believe it...and now we find out its flat. Just sayin.

When someone writes into the universe, and Bungie says "This book follows canon events" then they reneg that and say "No! What WE just wrote is canon, just because it CAN be" that's breaking canon.

In essence, when canon is established by the third party, and the first party later rewrites it, it's breaking canon.

"Your favorite food is pizza, right?"
'Yeah.'
"Cool."
'It's not pizza, anymore. It's ALWAYS been steak." ¬¬

The book and game do not line up story telling/event wise. To put is in simple terms its like they said the earth was round and we are told to believe it...and now we find out its flat. Just sayin.

Bungie never re-wrote anything. They just ADDED to the story. And everything lines up.

Schizo may have a point in some regards.(if I get what you are saying , then in fact BUNGIE did break canon in an event)

S1l3nt V1p3r-- I have a friend with a modded XBOX and he has played REACH while I was there. I can tell you with 100% certainty that they did in fact change an event completely from the book. More than one event has changed in some regard, others have not.

They did however create a great back story that lines up and makes sense for Noble team members. It's a great game, great visuals, and the multiplayer is phenomonal!!

Ps-I am not about to go in details for sake of a pointless arguement that would be spoilers. Its a GREAT game, but IMO....good have been even better ;)

Schizo may have a point in some regards.(if I get what you are saying , then in fact BUNGIE did break canon in an event)

S1l3nt V1p3r-- I have a friend with a modded XBOX and he has played REACH while I was there. I can tell you with 100% certainty that they did in fact change an event completely from the book. More than one event has changed in some regard, others have not.

They did however create a great back story that lines up and makes sense for Noble team members. It's a great game, great visuals, and the multiplayer is phenomonal!!

Ps-I am not about to go in details for sake of a pointless arguement that would be spoilers. Its a GREAT game, but IMO....good have been even better ;)

I'll have to play Reach to see this for my self. Remember, the books got their information from Bungie. If Bungie saw fit to change anything, they may do so. We have no idea what a scenario looked like other than what was written in the books. It may just be different than your perception of the event written in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back