1st Build CQC Helmet Reach build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambow13

Hey all, been a member here for a few years, always wanted to try my own project but never dove in.

Recently purchased a 3d printer(Kobra Max), so i no longer have any excuse not to.

For my first halo project i decided to go with one of my favorite helmets, the CQC. The file is the MoeSizzlac CQC reach file, with the HUL attachment printed separate.

After a long few days of printing i finally got to sanding today. Still getting use to 3d printing, and specifically some of the challenges of PETG, so i had a few areas where the supports end the first layer of the model were not very clean (see picture). Nothing a bit of bondo putty and sanding can't fix but im open to feedback on PETG and supports.

Tomorrow, lots of sanding, more filler primer and possibly a bit more bondo. Then more sanding, sanding, sanding.

Attachments

• 20220724_160535.jpg
    20220724_160535.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 20220724_160603.jpg
    20220724_160603.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220725_161805.jpg
    20220725_161805.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 20220725_190449.jpg
    20220725_190449.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
I dont print PETG but I will say the more time you put into sanding will definitely pay off in the end. Looking good so far keep it up!

Love the helmet, can't wait to see it painted what colors are you planning on using for it?
In Reach, i used a olive/hunter green with dark brown accents scheme. The helmet will be mostly the green with black and dark grey and dark brown. The HUL lid will be the brown. Going to try to go for a used worn look. Haven't decided on the visor yet.

Great job with the helmet! looking forward to seeing it painted. I dont print with petg but I would recommend you reduce the support gap. It will be a bit harder to get off but it looks to me that the gap was a bit far off which is why you got those loose strands on the initial layer after your supports. Reducing the gap should help squish that initial layer a little better.

I agree with GrmblBACHx about the support gap. That looks like the main issue. Also with PETG make sure your fan is low, and your printing speed is slow. I have only just started printing PETG and have also found that mine is super sensitive to bed level - which is one of the harder things for new printers to get used to. Took me damn near a year to get good at leveling my bed...

Great job with the helmet! looking forward to seeing it painted. I dont print with petg but I would recommend you reduce the support gap. It will be a bit harder to get off but it looks to me that the gap was a bit far off which is why you got those loose strands on the initial layer after your supports. Reducing the gap should help squish that initial layer a little better.
Yeah this is what I assumed was the issue as I had lowered the support density down to 5%, which in retrospective seems a bit to low for some of these overhangs on this model.

Hey all, been a member here for a few years, always wanted to try my own project but never dove in.

Recently purchased a 3d printer(Kobra Max), so i no longer have any excuse not to.

For my first halo project i decided to go with one of my favorite helmets, the CQC. The file is the MoeSizzlac CQC reach file, with the HUL attachment printed separate.

After a long few days of printing i finally got to sanding today. Still getting use to 3d printing, and specifically some of the challenges of PETG, so i had a few areas where the supports end the first layer of the model were not very clean (see picture). Nothing a bit of bondo putty and sanding can't fix but im open to feedback on PETG and supports.

Tomorrow, lots of sanding, more filler primer and possibly a bit more bondo. Then more sanding, sanding, sanding.
I remember when i got my 1st helmet printed. Unreal feeling of satisfaction. Good print quality, Best of luck to you! CQC is a fun choice.|
Petg is an interesting choice in filament though. I wonder how that'll work out long-term

I remember when i got my 1st helmet printed. Unreal feeling of satisfaction. Good print quality, Best of luck to you! CQC is a fun choice.|
Petg is an interesting choice in filament though. I wonder how that'll work out long-term
PETG is actually semi common for armor & prop building in higher heat environments as it has a higher temperature tolerance before losing shape!
It is however harder to print with and will require some fine tuning in the settings to get it just right.

Also that is a SMOOTH finish on that helmet, really excited to see it with your color scheme.

Yeah this is what I assumed was the issue as I had lowered the support density down to 5%, which in retrospective seems a bit to low for some of these overhangs on this model.
Yeah 5% is a bit low. I forgot to ask/mention that you could increase your density as well.

Update for today. Lots of sanding and a fresh coat of primer. Ran out of 100 grit so i had to stop until i can get more tomorrow. I had an extra HUL lid that definitely was not scaled incorrectly the first time that i also threw some primer on so i could get real samples of the colors.

Progress:
20220726_192430.jpg

Color samples:
20220726_192456.jpg

20220726_192501.jpg

The look im going for is mostly the first HCS coating released for Infinite and a bit of my old reach setup.
20220726_003754.jpg

20220726_003619.jpg

Haven't really finalized the colors, the silver lid looks really good in infinite but I've always liked the green with brown accents.

Finally, a bonus pic of the HUL lid tape into the position the magnets will eventually hold it:
20220726_211555.jpg

Still a few small spots that need attention so tomorrow it's more sanding, filler, then fine sanding.

Looking for feedback or knowledge on the lid, when i scaled it up to the right width, it almost looks too thick now because i used snap scaling.

Anyone have experience in scaling attachments with a material thickness like this should have? Should i scale it again to the right size without scaling the thickness at all?

Think I'm ready to move on to high grit sanding and laying some paint this weekend. The visor i ordered is coming in about a week.

Everything is looking really smooth and im pumped to start putting some color down.

For what it's worth, here is the progress made on the bad unsupported layers:

Attachments

• 20220724_160603.jpg
    20220724_160603.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220728_225225.jpg
    20220728_225225.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 91
Sanding finished, although it's it ever perfect? First few colors down, working on getting the tape right for the green layer.

Also working on the cricut files for some of the details. Planning on a unsc logo on the attachable lid, my spartan number in halo games (R13), and a custom inclusion of 13 kill stripes ala boba fett, thinking elites blood paint.

Attachments

• 20220803_220258.jpg
    20220803_220258.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220803_220311.jpg
    20220803_220311.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 85

Looking good so far, I’ve been making a master from a pep model of the scout helmet. Lots of bondo and sanding, all while working on another print. I’m tired of the bondo and sanding phase. Lmao good look and stay motivated!!

Coming along great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back