Props Crackerjack's Rocket Launcher Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let people know that the SPNKr is very nearly finished. All of the detailing is in apart from on the forward grip and the trigger guard, which still need to be assembled, and apart from those, all it requires is a bit of a clean up. I've taken some more photos, but it's pretty late right now and I'm leaving early in the morning to go away for the weekend, so I will put them up when I get back.

Hi guys, back again! Sorry I didn't update from Friday, I had an interview for uni today, and trying to prepare for that, while going up to see family at the weekend left me knackered.

Like I said, it's all nearly done, it just needs abit of cleaning up here and there, and finishing a couple of small components.

gallery_12243_1566_394197.jpg

gallery_12243_1566_175823.jpg

I'd like to thank Pete for giving me abit of publicity on HBO recently, it was really good to add to my portfolio, especially for my uni interview (shame I forgot to mention it).

I'm on half term now, so I like my 2 week private study time, I wont be in the work shop for awhile, but only a week this time. In the mean time I',, gonna upload some designs for my Final Major Project here for some crit if people don't mind, before setting up its own page.

Hay guys, sorry for the absence, I was ill for much of last week, so I wasn't able to get into the workshop to do any more progress on the SPNKr.

So yeah, no updates at the moment, but I'll see what my computer applications tutor has in store tomorrow, and try and grab some workshop time. I need to detail the forward grip, hinge the launcher housing, and smooth down every damn surface on it.

However, one detail that's been bugging me all along, has been the locking mechanism. I've been thinking up of a few ideas for awhile, magnets, electromagnets, pins and all sorts, but nothing really stood out as effective. I was hoping people might be able to give me some inspiration.

CrackerJack121 said:
Hay guys, sorry for the absence, I was ill for much of last week, so I wasn't able to get into the workshop to do any more progress on the SPNKr.

So yeah, no updates at the moment, but I'll see what my computer applications tutor has in store tomorrow, and try and grab some workshop time. I need to detail the forward grip, hinge the launcher housing, and smooth down every damn surface on it.

However, one detail that's been bugging me all along, has been the locking mechanism. I've been thinking up of a few ideas for awhile, magnets, electromagnets, pins and all sorts, but nothing really stood out as effective. I was hoping people might be able to give me some inspiration.

You don't think earth magnets would be sound? They're incredibly strong and could be built into the frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Cooper said:
You don't think earth magnets would be sound? They're incredibly strong and could be built into the frame.

I've never worked with Rare Earth magnets before, but if they're as good as you say, I'll deffinatly investigate them.

CrackerJack121 said:
I've never worked with Rare Earth magnets before, but if they're as good as you say, I'll deffinatly investigate them.

We used them on our SMGs to lock the magazines to the sides. I don't think it's possible to make them fall off!!

Pete

yea earth magnets are surprisingly strong, and unless you want to get into designing a working locking mechanism, I suggest using magnets. especially neodinium (check spelling) I believe those are the most common type and easiest to get your hands on.

Peter Cooper said:
We used them on our SMGs to lock the magazines to the sides. I don't think it's possible to make them fall off!!

Pete

WRising said:
yea earth magnets are surprisingly strong, and unless you want to get into designing a working locking mechanism, I suggest using magnets. especially neodinium (check spelling) I believe those are the most common type and easiest to get your hands on.

Thanks alot. I havent found a supplier closer to me yet, but the 4D Modelshop in London stocks them, so I'll make a visit tomorrow.

Dude.... I'm just WOWed beyond anything, just by looking at the pics, all I could say is that it... looks... so... beautiful *tear* LMAO!:D

...no seriously man it's unbelievable. Can't wait to see it finished!! :)

Right, bought some Neodymium magnets today, a pack of 8 ⌀10mm x 3mm, and one of 24 ⌀6mm x 2mm magnets. The ⌀10mm ones will be use the hold the rocket model in place (depends, I may not have enough) and the ⌀6mm ones to keep the launcher housing closed. I wasn't expecting just how strong they were, and the bigger ones were a right bugger to part.

gallery_12243_1862_21587.jpg

Since I was effectively on a private study day as my tutor was out on a research visit, I decided to add some panel detailing to the shoulder brace/stock thingy.

gallery_12243_1566_26239.jpg

I had to use 2 pieces on the side in the pic, as I'd ran out of large enough pieces of styrene after doing the other. Will fill that little gap in tomorrow probably.

gallery_12243_1566_13085.jpg

Another detail I'm adding is a safety button to the grip. Now, the thing I'm still deciding on is whether to have the same on the opposite side, as if it was for ambidextrous use. Only, the SPNKr isn't really left hander friendly, so I wonder if it's really worth it. Opinions?

Also, I'll give a cookie to anyone who can guess what my next project is, I've left some not so subtle clues around, but the answer may not be as obvious.

*edit, got the other photo working.*

Altair651 said:
Ooh, ooh, I know, I know! Is it..... halo related?

errrmmmmmm, vaguely.

iSUPERNOOB said:
whatever these guys are.

Heh! nope! I haven't worked on any Warhammer in ages, I mean, I still haven't finished the model I was putting together for a mate's xmas present!

Hinged the launcher housing today, and almost took a chunk out of my finger with a chisel in the process.

gallery_12243_1566_16642.jpg

gallery_12243_1566_15738.jpg

Now that the hinges are fixed on (they'll have to come off when it's moulded) I'll work out where to place the Magnets.

CrackerJack121 said:
Also, I'll give a cookie to anyone who can guess what my next project is, I've left some not so subtle clues around, but the answer may not be as obvious.

A helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back