Creating An Original Armor Suit: Sketches Of Full Suit Now Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently it'll only let me upload one pic. I tried holding Ctrl in the advanced uploader (the same way i did the post with all the pics from the first attempt at a helmet) But it would only select one. I tried typing in both file names manually, and it would say file not found. I tried to edit it and add another pic, and it did nothing. It didn't even give me the option to "add to post" or anything. Oh well. When the uploader isn't acting screwy, I'll upload a pic of the other side if someone wants/needs to see both sides (though the only difference is the comm. piece, and it hasn't changed from the earlier pics.) It may not seem like I've not done much today, well, theres a reason for that. Last night I had a few too many... party hats. Was out late at grandpas 70th b-day party and slept REAL late today. so sorry if progress is even slower than usual. (i know, I know I didn't think it was possible either.)

Edit: Gah! I had a pic of me with the party hats on I was gonna put, but NOOO. I've switched uploaders to the basic uploader, same thing. Only now it won't upload a picture at all. :( Probly my stupid internet connection.

whats a progress thread without progress? I don't intend to find out. I made the torso/back armor/turbine stuff today. Not that good, kinda asymmetrical, and smaller than the helmet I made, but hey. Its something. I really suck with proportions and it shows on this particular piece. I'll see about getting a sketch of what its supposed to look like later, that may work better than the clay. Basically the torso area armor is like I used for the neck armor. Something akin to the shielding used for cables. Not the most flexible stuff, but I ain't no ninja, and figured I really don't need a terribly large amount of flexibility from this armor. On top of that is basically a plate for the chest armor, and smaller plates to protect the gut but still allow for movement. The back is mostly the turbines, but a small part of the generator that powers the suit is visible. (only in person though. The camera really can't pick it up.) Sorry for the blurry pics, but the only camera I have is my phone.

If you do a rough sketch of the entire thing I can redraw and refine it for you. If you would be interested in that.

That would be cool. I'll see what I can do. It'll take a while, I've been kind of sketching it one piece at a time, so getting the whole thing sketched together and proportionate will take a while. I'll get to work on it though. Plus I'm still kind of designing it as I go, since I never did have an actual solid design for it before.

Well, I decided to take a break from the armor for a day and do something else, and I'm kind of regretting it now. I'll show you why...

Presenting: My Frag FAIL Grenade

[attachment=16007:04131346.jpg]

I found out the wrong way what happens when you glue the pep pieces on thick corrugated cardboard and try to put it together the same way you would a pep (minus flaps, of course) Well, theres a few hours wasted. Oh well. Not like I had anything else to do today, and I think I'm ready to start back on the armor.

I know its not really an update on the armor, but i just wanted to show what happens when you slack off, so learn from my mistake. Lol.

Maverick-17 said:
Well, I decided to take a break from the armor for a day and do something else, and I'm kind of regretting it now. I'll show you why...

Presenting: My Frag FAIL Grenade

[attachment=16007:04131346.jpg]

I found out the wrong way what happens when you glue the pep pieces on thick corrugated cardboard and try to put it together the same way you would a pep (minus flaps, of course) Well, theres a few hours wasted. Oh well. Not like I had anything else to do today, and I think I'm ready to start back on the armor.

I know its not really an update on the armor, but i just wanted to show what happens when you slack off, so learn from my mistake. Lol.

Oooh, I wish there really was a Fail Grenade. Edit: I think you should finish the grenade just for the heck of it, and really name it a Fail Grenade.

I don't think you should worry about the "wasted" time. Learning is very much a trial and error process. Personally, I've restarted my latest pep six times now. Four times since I found problems with the model, and twice because I truly suck and screwed the gluing completely. I've learned a lot though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I could leave it lopsided, do a bondo job on it, paint it pink, and paint Fail Grenade on it... lol. That would be something. If I knew how to do motion activated sound stuff, have it set up where if you throw it, when it lands it just yells fail really loud. Okay, yeah, I need to stop now. I probly will finish it up. And making it a fail grenade wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not really worried about the time wasted. I mean, it only took like three sheets of cardstock, and it made the pile of cardboard at the end of my bed a bit smaller, to, giving me a bit more space. And I admit, it was kind of fun making it, even after I realized it was going to turn out crappy. So yeah, but before I do any more failed grenade attempts or other small side projects, I'll see about making some progress on the armor this thread is about, lol. Get things back on topic, since I am kinda the one who rambled off topic. *oops* Off to work, I guess.

Nice job. I like how you made it look more modern-looking. And this one actually has boots, lol. I couldn't come up with anything for the boots. It really looks like a whole new suit. I may go with this one if I can from scratch. I still like the original too, though, but then again, theres no such thing as too many armor suits, is there? I may start with parts from the original since its simpler, flatter shapes, then when i get comfortable scratch building, start on your rendition and build em side-by-side and end up with 2 sweet suits of armor. Thanks for putting the time and effort into drawing up the design. I'm saving the pic to my computer as soon as I post this.

P.S. Sorry for taking so long to reply. Been gone the whole weekend with the family and my gf watching my siblings.

I don't know if this is going to be progress or not, but I've been seeing some of the 3d models some people post up on different threads for unfolds and such, and decided to break down and download blender with my 40 kbps internet. Then I had to download something called python to run it. Now that thats all done, I'll start poking around in it and see if I can produce anything there. Don't be surprised if updates are zero to none for a while. I got prom saturday. Plus, I don't know just how much time I'm going to put into learning blender. What it really comes down to is if its fun, i'll be blendering a lot in my spare time. If its kinda hard to grasp (which it is very likely to be with me) I won't be so enthusiastic about it. We'll have to see. Wish me luck folks.

Maverick-17 said:
I don't know if this is going to be progress or not, but I've been seeing some of the 3d models some people post up on different threads for unfolds and such, and decided to break down and download blender with my 40 kbps internet. Then I had to download something called python to run it. Now that thats all done, I'll start poking around in it and see if I can produce anything there. Don't be surprised if updates are zero to none for a while. I got prom saturday. Plus, I don't know just how much time I'm going to put into learning blender. What it really comes down to is if its fun, i'll be blendering a lot in my spare time. If its kinda hard to grasp (which it is very likely to be with me) I won't be so enthusiastic about it. We'll have to see. Wish me luck folks.

Hey there friend,

I'm very interested in how this is turning out. I would also like to have a crack at drawing your armour and maybe do a turn-a-round for ya. If thats cool... i'd use your pics and mechanicalgriff's pic as refrence.

Only if thats cool with you.

btw i hear blender is easy to use once you get a hang of it, Hopefully this link can help you on your way to getting blender http://www.guerrillacg.org/software-videos/blender

Its a good site for learning how to use 3d Programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
FoolyCoolyMan: Sure thing. seeing people take such an interest in this armor thing really motivates me to work on it more. And any input is appreciated, and I also enjoy seeing other peoples takes on the armor. Its cool how peoples interpretations of the same suit can leave you with more than one unique suit. While mine was a simple plate armor suit, mechanicalgriff turned it into a more high-tech looking suit with a more streamlined look. Its just neat to see what people can come up with.

In fact, don't even feel obliged to ask permission to re-draw or re-create the armor from the first pic. I can't speak for the others who post, so if someone else has a rendition you'd like to alter, go ahead and ask them first, but as for my original design, have at it.

As for the links, I'll try to access them with my internet. (just spent two hours just trying to get it to connect. SHEESH.) But if I can't next time I'm at my cousins I'll for sure check that out.

Thanks guys. Now off to learn some blender

Hey, I'm back, with a bit of progress. Its not the best, but i've got a 3d file of the shoulders done. Its using sketchup, so not very detailed and such. but its progress. Sorry for the necropost, but my computer had a virus or something that wouldn't let me go to any site where i had to log in to get on. no facebook, no 405th, or other forums or anything else i had to use a username to get on. I've redone the torso a bit and will post a pic of that as well.
0826102055.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back