Crossfire's Project Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossfire said:
Update:
resined the helmet a total of three times and started to apply bondo.
I started out using the body filler itself and didnt like the results, so I mixed some resin into the filler.

bondo01.jpg

Once that dries im going to lightly sand it and apply spot putty

So did yo not plan on fiberglassing at all. Polyester fiberglass resin isn't very strong by itself unless you use a ton of it.
Although bondo is a lot stronger than resin it will buckle your helmet if you use too much as you have. My only advice is to keep sanding away at it and maybe carving off some but other that that it looks like you have a lot of work a head of you.

Just remember to use bondo in small amounts and you should be fine. Oh and you should wait to use the spot filler until the end if you have some air pockets in he bondo or a small area that needs to be raised or smoothed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finshed smoothing one half of the helmet

bondohalf.jpg

Need to but some filler primer. There are alot of tiny scratches that the regular primer isnt filling.

well it looks good but it looks like you lost some detail on the back part hopefully you can get that back

crackhead09 said:
well it looks good but it looks like you lost some detail on the back part hopefully you can get that back
My plans for the back right now are to go back with a grinding tip on my dremel to carve a line instead of making a raised area

I also finished the hayabusa you unfolded
busa01.jpg

Crossfire said:
My plans for the back right now are to go back with a grinding tip on my dremel to carve a line instead of making a raised area

I also finished the hayabusa you unfolded
busa01.jpg

Nice, and thats sweet from me because I don't like hayabusa permutations except the shoulders!

Helmet looks good btw and as you said it looks like you could probably get some of the detail lost by just dremelling lines into it.

SparTom

Heres the original size of the helmet (32cm) on my head and half way through fiberglassing.
size.jpg

im 15 and have a medium size head and average shoulder width.
On the helmet Ive resined the outside and inside. for the crown I am glassing the outside.

The scaled down version (~27cm) doesnt fit on my head at all. Not even my little brothers.

How did you strengthen the spikes? Expando foam? Or is their a special technique for fiberglasing the inside of the spikes?

Crossfire said:
Heres the original size of the helmet (32 inches) on my head and half way through fiberglassing... for the crown I am glassing the outside.

Ahh...I see, this will be very interesting to see. But couldn't you just cut up the cloth/mat a bit smaller and then get them into the crown, then just pour a bit of resin in and then brush it on??? When I get to that point on mine, I will show you what I am planning on doing with it...until its nice to see how it will turn out!

Crossfire said:
Heres the original size of the helmet (32 inches) on my head and half way through fiberglassing.
[...]
im 15 and have a medium size head and average shoulder width.
How wide is the helmet opening across the ears?

@ Wetokole:I managed to get some fiberglass into the middle spike. The long ones on the ends are to long to get into.
I plan to mix a 2:1 ratio of resin:bondo, and pour it into the cavatys. Hopefully it wont make it too heavy.

@Ral: about 9-10inches i think. The helmet can move side to side when its on my head.

Finished the fiberglassing and resining stage.
glassed01.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/gam...7/glassed02.jpg
Should start bondoing today. But i leave for florida tuesday and get back the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back