Crystal Clear Optically Clear Liquid Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool find! Considering you can do tints and dyes, and could probably crank out a giant pile of visors with a full gallon, I think this would be a pretty cool thing if someone wanted to dish out the money to try and do something with it. Although, I have no idea how one would go about creating a mold of a visor, and make it smooth on the inside and the outside.

Very cool find! Considering you can do tints and dyes, and could probably crank out a giant pile of visors with a full gallon, I think this would be a pretty cool thing if someone wanted to dish out the money to try and do something with it. Although, I have no idea how one would go about creating a mold of a visor, and make it smooth on the inside and the outside.

someone could pep the visor and build that up for a mold.

The Engineer Guy store sells trial kits. $30 a pint. There's usually a visor piece to a helmet mold anyways, so you'd already have the mold. I might try playing with it later.

The Engineer Guy store sells trial kits. $30 a pint. There's usually a visor piece to a helmet mold anyways, so you'd already have the mold. I might try playing with it later.

Trial kits? Right on. I'm considering trying this for the next thing I build that needs a visor. I'd venture a guess that these visors won't be nearly as flexible / durable as the ones we currently use, but it would be very good for custom stuff with lines and colors... and maybe a solution for a EVA / Emile helmet out there?

It might be cheaper in the long run, but the start up costs would be a lot more. In contrast everything is already in place to try molding a visor if you're molding a helmet.

Be aware this is in no way a slush casting material. It is very difficult to work with in comparison to the SmoothCast family of resins. Your measurements have to be very precise, and the best results come from pouring in layers. I personally would build a mini former before trying to use this material for visors. Check out Volpin's mini vac former build. I believe his costs were ~100$ total.

I would not recommend this stuff for the beginner or intermediate user. The warnings on Smooth-On's website specifically say this is for industrial use only (not for home use) and that without proper protective gear, this product can cause skin rashes and breathing problems. You also need to post-cure this stuff in a kiln or an oven, and it's also recommended that you vacuum-chamber this stuff (or any clear resin for that matter) during the curing process. Having to vacuum-chamber it means no sloshing it in the mold to make sure it's an even coat all around. I would really play it safe with this one guys and choose other (safer) options.

Thanks for the heads up yodajammies and torsoboy! That saved me a lot of trouble and grief. Bah, I'll figure something else out I suppose.

I might give it a go, I have no experience in molding, but I have a great Idea on how to do it...
I have my Rookie Helmy printed and you may hear from me soon!

You know hobby lobby sells crystal clear casting resin (16 or 8 oz i believe) for like $25.

I was about to say much the same thing. There are clear casting resins available elsewhere, as well as tints made for them, though I'm not aware of any that will give you the metallic effect. I have only used one, called EnviroTex-Lite. It's not very good for slush casting, as it takes forever to cure. Then again, it was really cold when I was working with it, so you may have better luck in a warmer environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back