Not open for further replies.

DaFlea

CQB-Build-Banner-850x282.jpg

20 to 25 Hours into the build so far...

101_2785sm.jpg

101_2786sm.jpg

101_2786sm.jpg

101_2789sm.jpg

Also thanks to everyone that works so hard on the Pep files.

Doug

Very nice!

Some of the tabs seem to be on the outside, was that on purpose?

Do you plan to mold this or wear "as is"?

randomman said:
that looks awesome! Nice 'n' smooth.

Ryobi Finishing Sander just over twenty dollars at Home Depot provides crisp edges when sanding. I was ver impressed with its use considering sanding at times casues loss of detail.

TrintLord said:
Very nice!

Some of the tabs seem to be on the outside, was that on purpose?

Do you plan to mold this or wear "as is"?

Nice catch, That was a opps and it was too late to turn back deal. Should not casue a problem once I bondo that reagon.

I plan to mold the finished helm so I have one for each of my sons, plus I want one. I may suck playing halo on the Xbox but I do enjoy the element and the style of the technology.

Doug

Shade said:
20-25 hours in the work!!! Wow you work fast. :D

I may be off by another 5 to 10 hours on the plus side... Didnt keep up with it as I should have.

I put 3 more hours in last night and may do the same this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I am liking this!! The build looks so familiar in a way...(not talking about PEP) but I like where is it going.

Keep up the work and daily WIP is good eye candy for alot of peeps!!

WetOkole said:
Oh I am liking this!! The build looks so familiar in a way...(not talking about PEP) but I like where is it going.

Keep up the work and daily WIP is good eye candy for alot of peeps!!

It does look familiar for some reason... Oh well cant recall..

Anyway I cant commit to daily pics becasue I building some props for a presentation I have to give next week, but I will try to get some pics up every other day or so...

Doug

Daflea said:
It does look familiar for some reason... Oh well cant recall..

Anyway I cant commit to daily pics becasue I building some props for a presentation I have to give next week, but I will try to get some pics up every other day or so...

Doug

What I was saying is that, I did the exact same thing by placing a layer of Bondo to smooth things out then started adding the details later. Here is some pics:

DSCF2791.JPG

DSCF2792.JPG

As for the pics everyday, I just like to say that because sometimes WIP do take up some time and seeing ATLEAST something everyday was worth it...I remember when Sigma started out on his CQB...man it was a sight just to see it getting built, and he would update almost everyother day as well!!

Other than that it is looking great!!

Six hours more of work..

gallery_6885_842_28041.jpg

gallery_6885_842_1781.jpg

gallery_6885_842_31026.jpg

gallery_6885_842_2676.jpg

Also I stumbled on a new technique that I will share on my next update so I can confirm its performance.. So far the results are very promising..

WetOkole said:
What I was saying is that, I did the exact same thing by placing a layer of Bondo to smooth things out then started adding the details later.

As for the pics everyday, I just like to say that because sometimes WIP do take up some time and seeing ATLEAST something everyday was worth it...I remember when Sigma started out on his CQB...man it was a sight just to see it getting built, and he would update almost everyother day as well!!

Other than that it is looking great!!

Very nice... What did you do to control warping of the helm when you were wetting the cardstock... I was going to wet mine without the visor but my first two Master Chief attempts were less than postive..

Doug

You may want to reinforce the insides with fiberglass on the spots where you have sanded well through the fiberglass on the inside.
Otherwise it will breakthrough in holes, and having to put on fiberglass patches is not fun.

"I may be off by another 5 to 10 hours on the plus side... Didnt keep up with it as I should have."

Still fast. It took me 3 days to get my helmet Resined and Fiberglassesd alone. So yeah, still fast. :p

RadioactiV777 said:
You may want to reinforce the insides with fiberglass on the spots where you have sanded well through the fiberglass on the inside.
Otherwise it will breakthrough in holes, and having to put on fiberglass patches is not fun.

Thanks for the heads up I have allready added and extra layer where I had to sand more.. It really looks worse than it is..

Doug

Shade said:
"I may be off by another 5 to 10 hours on the plus side... Didnt keep up with it as I should have."

Still fast. It took me 3 days to get my helmet Resined and Fiberglassesd alone. So yeah, still fast. :p

Wow thats seems like a long time to me...

I resined the the face, baked, setup over night, so that ruffly under an hour. Then I put two layers of glass on my build, you figure and hour for each layer including precutting the mat.

Then after wetting I baked the helm for about 20 mins to help speed the cure time. (Dont use a household oven to do this) I have a special box I made for this purpose. This makes it to where you can handle somewhat still very tacky

Let it set up over night and your good to go..

Even without baking your still loooking at the same time.. Did you mix your resin correctly that can cause you some pain...

Doug

RadioactiV777 said:
Just making sure. I don't like it when people make the same mistakes I do XD
Good job though, it's coming along great.

I know what you mean mistakes make for a bad day...

Thanks for looking out..
Doug

I remember on my first helmet, the first coat of resin took about 3 days to cure completely, it got rained on the firs hour it had resin brushed on, and it wasn't good. Make sure you put in enough hardener, actually, put in a little more than you think you need. Especially as it gets colder.
Never would have thought of baking the piece though.

RadioactiV777 said:
I remember on my first helmet, the first coat of resin took about 3 days to cure completely, it got rained on the firs hour it had resin brushed on, and it wasn't good. Make sure you put in enough hardener, actually, put in a little more than you think you need. Especially as it gets colder.
Never would have thought of baking the piece though.

Yea if your mixture is off it will either never completely harden or it will gel way to fast..

I mix in a small disposable cup about 75 to 100 ml of resin (Don’t hold me to the amount of resin because I don’t have one of those cups in the house to verify this. the amount is very close though)

12 drops of hardener and I add 5 ml of acetone to help thin the mixture.

Note: People will argue that this causes the glass to shrink but for this application it’s not an issue.

Disclamer Alert: Wear proper safty gear when working with all of this. This includes latex gloves, respirator, and safty glasses. Also Acetone is very agressive on plastic so choose your mixing containr with care or you will not have a mixxing container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back