Dan's Mark Vi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys!

I personally think there are a few things I should fix before that happens though. :p

Fantastic work mate! I'm building a high detail suit ATM and if mine turns out to be even half as good as your's, I'll consider myself lucky.

Add another Spartan to the Ranks! Great work! The lower body I think really turned out great. I think that is the hardest to get right for sizing and proportions. The shoulder I would suggest doing what Adam did for strapping. I use the same method and it really works well. It is in his Youtube video about how he puts on his armor.

And yes, more pics!

Afr0Blu3 said:
Fantastic work mate! I'm building a high detail suit ATM and if mine turns out to be even half as good as your's, I'll consider myself lucky.

Thanks man!

Spartan 051 said:
i bet the wife got to be happy with the suit finished

YES! I had taken over her entire kitchen and living room, not to mention the garage and our sewing/spare bedroom. :pShe actually said if I didn't finish though she would kill me. :D

JediStumpy said:
Add another Spartan to the Ranks! Great work! The lower body I think really turned out great. I think that is the hardest to get right for sizing and proportions. The shoulder I would suggest doing what Adam did for strapping. I use the same method and it really works well. It is in his Youtube video about how he puts on his armor.

I actually did use that method, or one darn close to it... I just ran out of strap. I was literally a foot short, so my shoulders were about 4-6 inches to high all night. :p

xavierjer said:
That is an incredible suit. More pics please.

Yes sir!

DSCF1351.jpg

This took me an hour and a half to get on for the first time.... which was at about 7 pm on Halloween :p

And that guys standing behind me.... I'm usually as tall as him. I have about 4 inches of plywood in my boots and about an inch of padding in my helmet. That makes me 11 inches short of the real Master Chief! :D

DSCF1354.jpg

With Mario and Luigi! We always do themes for Halloween, so this year was videogames.

DSCF1363.jpg

DSCF1389.jpg

Some detail shots of the helm.

DSCF1405.jpg

DSCF1406.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

DSCF1408.jpg

DSCF1409.jpg

And with the lights on (Just because they're awesome)!

DSCF1410.jpg

I will post some more detailed ones soon. And I'm still collecting from all the people who took pics of me on Halloween.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my intro to the main party I went to was awesome! My friend who had been helping me with the armor went in first and started the Halo 3 Theme and made a little speech, then I charged through the door. It was pretty epic if I do say so myself. :pMy only regret is that I didn't have my AR finished in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you do the lower chest undersuit and the neck undersuit? They look really good, better than most under suits on the forums.

Your suit is amazing. The chest piece looks incredible, the helmet spot on, and the legs, well, damn. Those are literally the best legs I've seen on these forums. They make you look like a SPARTAN in MJOLNIR armor, not just some guy in a costume.

Could you post a few pictures of your undersuit? It looks very accurate and VERY good.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! :D

ponchato said:
How did you do the lower chest undersuit and the neck undersuit? They look really good, better than most under suits on the forums.

Your suit is amazing. The chest piece looks incredible, the helmet spot on, and the legs, well, damn. Those are literally the best legs I've seen on these forums. They make you look like a SPARTAN in MJOLNIR armor, not just some guy in a costume.

Could you post a few pictures of your undersuit? It looks very accurate and VERY good.

I made the undersuit parts from vinyl cloth and some quarter inch foam padding. And I literally made them in a matter of hours. I didn't get nearly as much of that part done as I wanted so I'll definitely be upgrading soon. Also I'll post some pics of the stuff I have done later tonight or tomorrow.

Queen said:
Dude, your armor is amazing!

Your arms have this weird Popeye-like appearance, though...

lol The popeye look is because my shoulders were too high. The straps I had holding them up were too short due to running out of strap. :pHopefully in the next week or two I'll fix that.

omg omg omg omg.... I want that! this is so amazing! just wondering, what color base paint did you use? I like it better than the color I chose

Great suit man! I have a few questions if you don't mind. :)

Firstly, is the the FS helmet? If so, where did you download it, (I think there are a few different versions out there), and what scale did you use? Also how tall are you? I want to try to gauge if you're scale will be right for me.

How did you do the small details under the visor?

Also what did you use to reinforce the inside of the helmet? (it doesn't look like the usual fiberglass. If this is a noob question, I apologize.) What is the advantage to this kind of reinforcement?

Finally is there any chance you could post or send me a diagram of the electrics you've got in that helmet? I know I want to do LED's but I'm not sure if I want to add fans.

-Thanks

Queen said:
I can't wait to see what your armor looks like with that fix, Dan!

Thanks! :D

Condor said:
omg omg omg omg.... I want that! this is so amazing! just wondering, what color base paint did you use? I like it better than the color I chose

The paint is Rust-oleum Painter's Touch: Oregano.

-=OGGY=- said:
Great suit man! I have a few questions if you don't mind. :)

Firstly, is the the FS helmet? If so, where did you download it, (I think there are a few different versions out there), and what scale did you use? Also how tall are you? I want to try to gauge if you're scale will be right for me.

How did you do the small details under the visor?

Also what did you use to reinforce the inside of the helmet? (it doesn't look like the usual fiberglass. If this is a noob question, I apologize.) What is the advantage to this kind of reinforcement?

Finally is there any chance you could post or send me a diagram of the electrics you've got in that helmet? I know I want to do LED's but I'm not sure if I want to add fans.

-Thanks

Yes it's the FS model. And it's the Ral Partha unfold. I don't remember where I downloaded it from. (It was like 2 years ago :p)

I'm 6' tall (72") so I printed out a 12" picture of MC and took measurements from that. Specifically, this picture:

wallpaper_Halo3-02.jpg

Then I multiply the measurements I took from each piece by 6 (72/12).

I then used the extra paper bits from the model to lay out where to add my visor detail. I layed them on the helmet and painted it with black primer, just to mark where to put tape.

DSCF1318.jpg

DSCF1322.jpg

Then I filled in the gaps with bondo, and sanded.

DSCF1332.jpg

I used smooth-cast 300 for the inside of most of my armor pieces. It's so much faster and cleaner than fiberglass. Fiberglass is a bit stronger though, and I've seen some people using fiberglass cloth or mat with smooth-cast instead of resin. I may try it in the future.

Here are some pics of the inside of the helmet.

DSCF1411.jpg
DSCF1412.jpg
DSCF1413.jpg
DSCF1414.jpg
DSCF1415.jpg

The fans and lights are both 12V so I ran 8 AA batteries(1.5V each) in series(making 12V), with both the lights and the fans interupted with a switch, but supplied by the same power source.

Anyway, I hope that helps and thanks for all the compliments! :D

you used oregano? it looks a lot darker than my armor and I used oregano too, but anyways I love that paint job! nice!

Condor said:
you used oregano? it looks a lot darker than my armor and I used oregano too, but anyways I love that paint job! nice!

I used Adam's (I think, sorry if it's someone else's) method of spraying the black into the details and that left just a bit of black on the rest of the green. So then I went and sprayed black from about 2 feet away and let it sit for about 3 seconds, then wiped it off. It darkened the green quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back