Darth Fett's Odst Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, here's a couple of new pics:

Some fiberglassed small pieces. The white stuff aren't bubbles, but elmers glue I used so the fiberglass would stick to the paper (resin gets to messy for me :p)
0804081933aof4.jpg

REMEMBER KIDS, SAFETY FIRST!
0804081935ana5.jpg

coming along good so far ^^ does the fiberglass/elmers glue actually make it stronger instead of using Resin with the fiberglass cloth?

I'm not using it instead of resin, just using the elmers glue to hold it in place (yeah, just realized I phrased it oddly, sorry).

On the resin can it says to put some resin to make it sticky, then apply the fiberglass, but since I'm kind of messy with the resin, I just glue the fiberglass on, then resin over it. Stuff is still hard as a rock, and its less of a hassle to get the fiberglass stuck on the piece :)

looking good man :lol:! i tried something similar to what you're doing with the glue, but i used tape for a while. it didn't work since i tried to use little tape rolls (when you fold a piece of tape over then stick it to itself) the tape didn't stay flat so the fiberglass didn't hold the paper and it ended up to be really flimsy.

Thanks paradox and redragon. I had attempted fiberglassing my MKVI suit when I first built it last year, but I was having so much trouble (also got sick cause my mask wasn't great).

Today however, with a full blown respirator and some more patience and understanding, I did 4 detail pieces (two torso, two gauntlet) in about 10 minutes. I figure each piece should take about 30-45 minutes to fiberglass a layer, so I'm really glad how its turning out. Stay tuned for tomorrow, I'll have the main chest piece glassed! :D

PS: Also, mods, could you move this to the Pepakura Forums since I can post a topic there now (I don't want to, nor do I think I should start a new one :p) Thanks!

Quick update (I know, I know, I'm double posting, but it's at least an update, don't kill me :D)

0806081933ama1.jpg

Next step is to cut out the support strut on the center piece and do a second layer, and finish fiberglassing the two upper shoulders!

Thanks man! Well, currently I'm out of paintbrushes, and I've got an Orientation tomorrow (get to scare all the freshman tomorrow, being a senior and coming in some fancy JROTC dress uniform) and I've got some Navy Officers coming to speak to me on friday, but I may find some paintbrushes somewhere to fiberglass some more.

Otherwise, I'm going to fiberglass a few more pieces (finish the shoulders and hip plates, maybe the thighs and gauntlet I have), then prime and sand them, and paint them. That way, when I make the helmet and fiberglass the torso, I already have a firm understanding of what I'm doing. Also, what primer do I use? Any normal primer? (Thanks!)

i would say that any primer would work fine. but i would think that a non-oil base would be best, but just about every primer out there is non-oil based so yeah.

Thanks! The smaller pieces are detail pieces of the torso and gauntlets (they fit into small slots on them). The larger fiberglass piece (top) is the main chest plate, its tiny but is surrounded by numerous other chest plates :cautious:. The two lower pieces are the tops of the shoulders.

Darth Fett said:
Quick update (I know, I know, I'm double posting, but it's at least an update, don't kill me :D)

*picture

Next step is to cut out the support strut on the center piece and do a second layer, and finish fiberglassing the two upper shoulders!

Good job so far, i have only one question/suggestion;

You should do the shoulder piecer in one way, the pieces on top should be both inwards or outwards. but if you like this look im okay with it

Keep up the good work to keep the balance between Spartans and ODST's :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
whatei0.png

1# this piece is going outwards, and its the correct look.
2# the top past is going inward, its not really how it looks in the game or in the landfill video

sorry for the bad grammar, its 7 am and i haven't sleep yet ;)

The pep shoulders are based off the WETA ones from the shorts, and they're a bit off. The ingame ones are much different, the lower part is larger and more curved, the top part is just larger.

I'm starting on my ODST helmet tomorrow.

Its a race to the finish!

BTW, how is the Torso? Because I would think that you wouldn't be able to bend down n stuff....

Ah yes, I see what you mean Falcon. The pep file is like that, and even though its not 100% accurate, I kind of like the odd shape (although it was a pain to build, lol).

Dreadnought: The torso piece goes only to the square of your back, so bending down and stuff isn't too bad (easier than doing so in the MC outfit, thats for sure :p)

So...You can bend down and move around without it getting in the way? It looks like a bit of a hassle. I was just thinking of making that piece from a Vest and strapping some armor to it.

Well its just on your back, its pretty much like wearing a backpack with a neck guard. Although making a vest out of it would probably work just as well and be more comfy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back