DBmike building the Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBmike

Well guys since the reach armor is now done (ok still need to do an under suit but that'll come in time) I have wanted to go back to doing a pep build. The IronMan build is still in progress so if your following that then don't worry, I havent given up on it.

So with out further ado here is my latest project, I decided to go and do a pep build because I wanted to create something that was perfect, foam's good but not that good. However I remember why I switched to foam, my fingers aren't built for fiddly things like pep :p

Just need to pop the visor on (assembled just not inserted) and then slap on some resin.

BEHOLD my super awesome card folding skills!

71590F8D-2EDD-4A8D-B331-62EF9107A330-31047-00002744D1C3440A.jpg

As soon as i'm off work next i'll be applying some resin (visor will be there too)

Until next time, stay classy!

thanks both, I'm looking forward to getting the bondo on this and seeing what I can do.

in the mean time and before I resin I need a seasoned pepper (no pun) to tell me, should I leave the visor in before I resin? I ask because I've got the support struts in and i've added the visor put it seems to me it plays no roll in supporting the thing at all in fact its more in the way than anything. I want to just remove it but since i've got little experience with this stuff I don't fancy cocking it up!

99B8DDD3-2319-4B16-98E4-E3351CF726B3-31311-000027D66427FB12.jpg

in the mean time and before I resin I need a seasoned pepper (no pun) to tell me, should I leave the visor in before I resin? I ask because I've got the support struts in and i've added the visor put it seems to me it plays no roll in supporting the thing at all in fact its more in the way than anything. I want to just remove it but since i've got little experience with this stuff I don't fancy cocking it up!

Since that one has the supports in it, I'd have to say that you should be able to get away with taking the visor out if it's in your way as long as the supports stay in where they are supposed to. On the Master Chief helmets I've seen lots of people build it without the visor and just the support struts in and have no problems with it warping on them. I haven't done one of these yet though.

I know on the ones I have done, the visor had to be in there, but that was because there weren't separate supports and the visor actually provided the support.

That being said, it does look like your visor is going to cause some problems with hardening around the bottom of that opening with the way it is bubbled out. If it were me, I'd just make it look like the first pic you posted of it without the visor again. Then, I'd take my time hardening it with light coats and working in small areas so you don't have any issues with warping. Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll do great.

Yeah, take the visor out. With the struts it'll be perfectly fine, and then you won't have to cut the visor out later. Unless you want to mold it...

Excited to see where this is headed. Good luck!

And yes, you should be perfectly time without the visor.

That being said, it does look like your visor is going to cause some problems with hardening around the bottom of that opening with the way it is bubbled out. If it were me, I'd just make it look like the first pic you posted of it without the visor again. Then, I'd take my time hardening it with light coats and working in small areas so you don't have any issues with warping. Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll do great.

Cheers buddy, I was watching Dave's vids on you tube and I was surprised to apply thin layers of the resin so i'll be sure to do that otherwise I would have gone wading in with all guns blazing!
I am going to resin with out the visor its kinda pointless keeping it in.

Unless you want to mold it..

Thanks sir and yes I intend on molding it but what i'm gonna do is finish the helmet, then re pep the visor to a perfect fit, with that done I want to then vac form it to the perfect shape then add the tint with the hex pattern on it!

Excited to see where this is headed. Good luck!

Thanks dude, i'm really excited too. Just want 5 mins to get out to the shed and start on the resin lol

That was a fun helmet to build, your off to a great start! Are you using flyingsquirels model? I found his model was really easy to work with when it came to the bondo/smoothing detail.

That was a fun helmet to build, your off to a great start! Are you using flyingsquirels model? I found his model was really easy to work with when it came to the bondo/smoothing detail.

I think it's flyingsquirrels model. Can't say it's been too fun though, I hate all the cutting out and fiddly little bits but the end result will be worth it. Still prefer foam lol

Pep looks good.

Thanks buddy. I'm eager to get going with the next stages now :)

Hello from Yorkshire DBmike, nice to see another English guy on the forums. I've been working on the same helmet and as you said its a pain in the proverbials, I've also resigned the helmet (pics to follow) without the visor in without issue so onward and upward I'd say.

Hello from Yorkshire DBmike, nice to see another English guy on the forums. I've been working on the same helmet and as you said its a pain in the proverbials, I've also resigned the helmet (pics to follow) without the visor in without issue so onward and upward I'd say.

English?! No no I'm Cornish my good man!! Haha. I know what you mean though. Those of us on this side of the pond do need to stick together :)
This helmet is tricky one and can't say I'd look forward to having to build it again :p

Finally got somewhere with this lol
It doesn't look any different but I've got two coats of resin on now and all thanks to Drack (Tom)!
My new workshop isn't ready and apparently the resin I bought is a bit rubbish so he let me use some of his from his gargantuan tub of resin :p

E4DDC238-C36D-4711-8858-A6A14535032F-57582-0000504A746F4598_zps68c039b5.jpg

No harm aiding the fibreglass curing with a little heater action ;)

1D05C6C0-DA8D-4D71-B87B-196248D68C46-69598-00005EC70CC54CB1_zps1c05678a.jpg

Gotta say though. Coming from foam builds this is soooooooo slow better be worth it in the end. Though I'm starting to think maybe rondo may have been better

No harm aiding the fibreglass curing with a little heater action ;)

Gotta say though. Coming from foam builds this is soooooooo slow better be worth it in the end. Though I'm starting to think maybe rondo may have been better

Nothing wrong with a heat box in the winter time. :D
Results do come a lot slower when working the pep end of this. But the results are really worth it in the end when you can have all that extra detail in your build.
I'd recommend not just using rondo on the inside of your parts too. Rondo by it's nature is really brittle. If you use it, plan on reinforcing it by adding in some fiberglass cloth while putting in the rondo. Or you can add resin and cloth in later on before you start paint. It will help in the event something falls or something or someone runs into you. :p
Keep up the good work.

Coming from foam builds this is soooooooo slow better be worth it in the end. Though I'm starting to think maybe rondo may have been better

Exactly what Spartan_127 said... rondo by itself would probably be safe to use in parts that never need to flex (e.g. forearms) but if there's any chance it may need to move with your body, then go with some fiber in there to add some give.

Looking good though! Nice job on the helmet pep.

Nothing wrong with a heat box in the winter time. :D
Results do come a lot slower when working the pep end of this. But the results are really worth it in the end when you can have all that extra detail in your build.
I'd recommend not just using rondo on the inside of your parts too. Rondo by it's nature is really brittle. If you use it, plan on reinforcing it by adding in some fiberglass cloth while putting in the rondo. Or you can add resin and cloth in later on before you start paint. It will help in the event something falls or something or someone runs into you. :p
Keep up the good work.

Yh the box was totally needed its brutally cold in the new workshop. But then I've been there in the summer last year and it get super hot so probably gonna need a cool box for then :p
I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the armour done because as you say its well worth it with all the extra detail foam doesn't offer, just got so many builds I want to do that with the amount of time pep takes i'm gonna be here till the day I die doing all the work I've got planned haha.
Was talking to Thorn about the whole glass, rondo, bondo stuff and he's been telling me bout bondoglass which is something I'm gonna look into because I may resort to that for the rest of the build, especially if it speeds things up!

Looking good though! Nice job on the helmet pep.

thanks for the kind words my good man, I'm looking forward to making it look even better over the coming days :)

quick question to whoever, like fibreglass is bondo dependent on above freezing temperatures to cure???

Hi mike, Ive seen you facebook pages and i really like you work with those suits ^^. Well, my question is: ¿Where do you get the schematics? I mean, all the helmet paper pieces (because It is paper, right?) are marked with some sort of black rectangles, which make me think that you are basing your work in a previous schematic.

I'm new at cosplay making and moreover in suit making xD and I really want to build one, now that I have ample time and if you please i'd like to ask you the basics to begin with it.

Forgive me any mistake, this is not my native language >.<. I'll rewrite anything not clear if you ask me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back