Deployment Application Process Begins Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, It would be GREAT if YOU'd be on the audit team, for me at least. :D

I do have some level of concern about the pictures though.

What I mean is this : all of us are honest people, no doubt in my mind. But I've SEEN pictures been taken that look "better than real life" and I'm not talking about photoshop'ed stuff but subjectivly much better looking pictures just because the guy/woman behind the camera knew EXACTLY what he/she was doing to get the best color reproduction, the sharpest contrast respons or what ever that -whould the camera be put into my hands- whould have resulted in a dull and bland picture.

And no, just by "putting the subject in front a white wall" you're not excluding that aspect. (although no doubt, does help from a technical point of view)

Fact is for example, a DSLR operated by somebody who knows their way about it will produce a much nicer picture than that picture made with your smartphone. Subtle usage of various filters/light systems will make a paintjob look totally different compared to the same stuff being photographed with any low cost camera.

I mean, on a 501th stormtrooper suit, the thing is black and white. Done. On these suits however, you can't honestly think a less than ideal picture won't affect the judgement results as I'm pretty sure I myself would be influenced if I'd have to pass judgement on some work based upon pictures. I'm convinced staff has considered this already but I'm just wondering to what extend you can take this in account. I'm not pretending I know a better way than what is proposed either and it's not meant as critisism, I just bring it up out of concern.

Heh, It would be GREAT if YOU'd be on the audit team, for me at least. :D

I do have some level of concern about the pictures though.

What I mean is this : all of us are honest people, no doubt in my mind. But I've SEEN pictures been taken that look "better than real life" and I'm not talking about photoshop'ed stuff but subjectivly much better looking pictures just because the guy/woman behind the camera knew EXACTLY what he/she was doing to get the best color reproduction, the sharpest contrast respons or what ever that -whould the camera be put into my hands- whould have resulted in a dull and bland picture.

And no, just by "putting the subject in front a white wall" you're not excluding that aspect. (although no doubt, does help from a technical point of view)

Fact is for example, a DSLR operated by somebody who knows their way about it will produce a much nicer picture than that picture made with your smartphone. Subtle usage of various filters/light systems will make a paintjob look totally different compared to the same stuff being photographed with any low cost camera.

I mean, on a 501th stormtrooper suit, the thing is black and white. Done. On these suits however, you can't honestly think a less than ideal picture won't affect the judgement results as I'm pretty sure I myself would be influenced if I'd have to pass judgement on some work based upon pictures. I'm convinced staff has considered this already but I'm just wondering to what extend you can take this in account. I'm not pretending I know a better way than what is proposed either and it's not meant as critisism, I just bring it up out of concern.

While I agree that different cameras make different quality of photos it is still up to individual to make the pictures.
Someone can use a smartphone to make the photos where someone else can get more professional photos of an individual (either a friend or even a hired photographer).
It's up to individual how they'll make the pictures.

However, I'd avoid using photoshop as you know - people could try to manipulate the pictures for their own favor.
Using post-work like a filter to increase/decrease contrast/brightness/colors to get the picture closer to what the costume looks in reality it would be fine with me.

Also, noone said about a white wall. Just some neutral background - where you're in the center of the focus, so preferably one colored, be it white, black, gray, blue, etc.

We aren't sure about the whole telling everyone who is in what tier thing yet. We're looking at potentially having a badge to add here but in the end, I suspect that this really is something personal that some may wish to plaster all over and others may prefer to be more quiet about it regardless of what tier they are in, so it will likely remain optional. Of course, Division will know. And we'll have a method of telling the Regiment Staff.

Yes, your costume must be complete prior to applying.

As for photos - if we get some fabulous looking photo that shows off the gear in all of it's well lit, well posed glory, we're likely going to ask for other ones. We need to be able to be able to see how this kit fits you and what the seams look like. The best way to show fit is for you to be just standing in all four directions - not posed majestically on top of a mountain. ;-)

We aren't sure about the whole telling everyone who is in what tier thing yet. We're looking at potentially having a badge to add here but in the end, I suspect that this really is something personal that some may wish to plaster all over and others may prefer to be more quiet about it regardless of what tier they are in, so it will likely remain optional. Of course, Division will know. And we'll have a method of telling the Regiment Staff.

Yes, your costume must be complete prior to applying.

As for photos - if we get some fabulous looking photo that shows off the gear in all of it's well lit, well posed glory, we're likely going to ask for other ones. We need to be able to be able to see how this kit fits you and what the seams look like. The best way to show fit is for you to be just standing in all four directions - not posed majestically on top of a mountain. ;-)
FANGS, I meant more like if it will be visible to see for public who got deployed - regardless of the Tier-detail. Just, like a thread or something with all the members that got accepted and were deployed. o.o

LOL about the pose! You forgot to say that best would be if half of the costume would be covered by the epic weapons as well! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, we're looking at badges to add here on the forum - hopefully one for each tier or a generic deployed one so you can choose. Eventually, we hope to have an actual database with member info - photo, ID number, costume types - but that has to wait until this itstakingforever move happens. But no, there won't be a thread with that information.

I've one question : the main reason for the 18 year limit ? Legal reasons ? Organisational preferences ? Financial aspect ?
Afaik, you can get a drivers licence starting at the age of 17 -and even younger in some states- over in the US but you can't sign up for a cosplay deployment ?

Errrrr .... "does not compute". :D

I can't speak for the staff who are actually going to be working on applications, but I posted a while ago and in another thread about my thoughts on the photograph requirements, and it's worth re-iterating here.

We do realise that most of our members won't have access to high-grade cameras, and most likely won't have professional-grade experience in photography. With that said, we'll still be looking for a reasonable quality with the images - a generic digital camera should be able to reliably give an appreciable photograph quality. Even my own smartphone can take reasonable photographs, and while admittedly they won't match up to the quality a professional photographer will put out, they'll certainly do the trick for what's needed here. I very much doubt that there will be many instances of a deployment application being returned with a request for better photographs.

Likewise - although we will be judging for paint job quality, the things we're looking at more are going to be the quality of fit and quality of build - does the costume fit? Does it look well-made? Has attention to game accuracy been taken into account? As long as the images at least show that, the applications will be fine.

If it's any worry, I would advise members to invest in a cheap digital camera, a cheap white bedsheet, and a cheap lamp for providing light. Creating your own photography booth doesn't have to be difficult or expensive - my GE Z1300 cost about £30 at a department store three or four years ago, has a decent flash, and takes a 10 megapixel image. I've uploaded a sample image taken with that camera to give an example of the sort of quality you can expect even with a cheap digital camera.

At the risk of digressing, though: as long as the image is of a reasonably decent quality (not grainy, not blurry, decent lighting conditions) we'll be able to accurately grade the set.

EDIT:

I've one question : the main reason for the 18 year limit ? Legal reasons ? Organisational preferences ? Financial aspect ?
Afaik, you can get a drivers licence starting at the age of 17 -and even younger in some states- over in the US but you can't sign up for a cosplay deployment ?

I'd imagine that the ruling is meant to blanket all countries - yes, some countries have lower ages for being considered a legal adult, but in the interests of legal safety, it's better just to have a broad, global ruling to encompass everyone. After all, having different rules for different people would be difficult to deal with and it'd end up being a legal nightmare.

Attachments

• GEDC0011 (2)1.JPG
    GEDC0011 (2)1.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 286
Thanks for shedding some light in the matter.
As long as the 405th doesn't impose a MAXIMUM age I should be safe. :D

You might be able to get your learner's permit at 15 and a half, and your driver's license shortly after, but you are not a legal adult. It is not until you turn 18 that you are legally an adult and no longer need a parent or guardian's permission to do a whole range of things.

Did the forum look in to the idea of a waver By said parent, A Jr member?
Real non Web derived orgs have ways to do this.

We have Little Chief here in my neck of the woods... He is Well, down right famous and Does he not at least disirve a ranking if he wants one?
what if he wanted to know what he could do to go from lets say grade 3 to grade 1.

the point of this ranking is for us to strive to improve ? but if half the fanboy teen kids cant use it then how are they gonna feel welcomed here.
Might I suggest that a way to incude ALL members is to have Offical and Un-Offical ranks.
In time ,a form for non deploy but same grading could be offerd and In time same visual logos on the site

EG every members page has a place to have there suits in a nice browser and a short bio on the build and that is where the logos can go.

and Deployed is it's own extra logo......

You might be able to get your learner's permit at 15 and a half, and your driver's license shortly after, but you are not a legal adult. It is not until you turn 18 that you are legally an adult and no longer need a parent or guardian's permission to do a whole range of things.

This is exactly it. It is the world wide common age of being considered an adult.

I think it's alright that members have to be legal adults, that said at least 18yr old.
Not being a deployed member, because someone's too young doesn't make them not welcome on 405th
They are a member, they just have to wait to officially become deployed - just like other things.
I think it's right and it should remain like that.
So there is no need for more ranks, especially the unofficial ones.

Even if someone's nearing their 18th birthday, nothing stops them from filling the form to hopefully be accepted just when they'll become an adult.

Chernobyl - cute dog @_@

the point of this ranking is for us to strive to improve ? but if half the fanboy teen kids cant use it then how are they gonna feel welcomed here.

We welcome everyone, regardless of their age. Not being able to obtain a 'Deployed' status doesn't mean we don't value that person's input at all - minors and non-Deployed are still welcome to attend conventions with the 405th in-costume. I personally won't be able to attain a Deployed status for a few years, since I have neither the means nor the available workspace with which to begin creating a costume, but I'll be attending cons when I'm able and meeting up with fellow members, hanging out and having fun. The only real difference between being Deployed and not is that non-Deployed members won't be able to participate in a few Deployed-only activities - and those will be very few and far between (for example, Deployed-only photo shoots at cons). Otherwise, there's very little to distinguish between people who are Deployed, and those who aren't. It's really all just a name and a title, we don't want to throw up a barrier and say 'we're excluding younger members even if they have outstanding costumes'.

From what I recall, Deployed-only activities are going to be things whereby the 405th is being represented in an 'official' capacity, such as con panels, marches, official photo shoots, perhaps dinners and such. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that not being Deployed is going to detract from your overall experience of the 405th - everyone's going to be treated with the same level of integrity and respect, regardless of whether or not they have a costume.

Again, I don't wish to speak for the staff handling this, but I imagine it's all really down to a matter of liability and legal matters when members are at conventions.

Edit: CommanderPalmer thanks. He's my father's dog, and he's a furry little idiot.

The rule that you must be 18 in order to be deployed but 13 to be a forum user is actually far more lax than any other major costuming group. The others you need to be 18 period. There are no forum users. However, we did our due diligence and a lawyer was consulted and agreed that it is the best to keep the age requirement for our Deployed members as well as our Auxiliary members and as such, the rules surrounding both of these member groups are different than the levels below them.

As for official and unofficial ranks - let's work on getting the official ones done first. I can't see a time when we'll ever have unofficial ranks, however, that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to honour people like Little Chief.

Even if I can't be deployed yet, I would still love feedback, and the knowledge on what to do to make my costume a Tier 1 for when I can be deployed :D
FANGS, feel free to correct me or add on this suggestion - would this be something Regiment staff could help with for those who would fall below the age requirements (ie. perhaps a separate thread in the respected regiment, private forums, private messaging, etc)? Or would this strictly be for those dealing with the deployment process?
Mesh, ultimately, your build threads would serves as a foundation for feedback to help you improve and work on getting you to where you'd like to be :)

As for official and unofficial ranks - let's work on getting the official ones done first. I can't see a time when we'll ever have unofficial ranks, however, that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to honour people like Little Chief.

Maybe there could eventually be an ROTC or JROTC for the members under 18? That way they could be recognized, have a place to receive feedback so they can work their way through the tiers, and also be in a place where they could easily be moved up/fast-tracked to Deployment status once they turn 18.

I do not see the need for any sort of "Official Unofficial" ranks/programs for feedback on whether or not a costume is deploy-able, when anyone who wants Feedback prior to submitting for deployment, that is what your Build Threads and your local Regiment are there for. If you want feedback, all you have to do is ask for it.

Build threads can get you general feedback from other members as to the general state of your build. Other members can offer feedback on your seams, construction, paint, strapping, et cetera, from the perspective of other builders.

Once you hit the 90 days, 50 posts you can request to join, and then post in your local regiment's section. There it will be much easier for your local Regiment CO, XO, or Membership Officer to see your build. Now, Regiment Command Staff are not the ones approving costumes, that is the purview of Division Level Command Staff, but your local Regiment CS will have a good idea of what to look for, from our conversations with Division Command Staff. As such, if you reach out to your Regiment CS, they can give you an idea of where your costume will fall, but the final word will still come from Division once you apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.